U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM

54 posts, read 128,080 times

Advertisements

I am somewhat of a foodie. Well, I really just like to eat. There are some GEMS here, and some that used to be gems, but have become too big for their own good. Anyway, please share!! The more obscure, the better!!

- (New) Gold Mountain (156th & Maple) - Best Dim Sum in Omaha as far as I'm concerned. Very fresh, tasty, and pleasant and helpful staff. Also have the best selection of authentic Chinese food (menu-wise) I have seen so far. Also very reasonable in price. Americanized to pig ear and chicken feet this pleace is GREAT.

- Brew Burgers (108th and L) - VERY good and unique burger selections, and the ability to make custome burgers. Also they have (though the recipe has changed, and is not QUITE as good) Jewish style beef brisket sandwich. Daily specials and some great side dishes and appetizers. I have noticed some slight reduction in overall quality since their apperance on "Diners drive-ins and Dives". Still great and a very good beer selection.

- Franks Pizza (132nd & Dodge, Hyvee plaza) - some of the best NY style pizza that I've had in Omaha so far. Just edges out Big Fred's (close 2nd though). Not the friendliest staff, but decent pricing and GREAT pizza.

- New Amsterdam Falafel & Kabob (50th and Underwood) - Basic menu. Occasionally rude staff. Great sandwiches and kabobs. Decent pricepoint and very filling. Fresh ingredients and open late for the after boozing meal.

These are a few, please contribute to the thread. I will post as we continue to try new and interesting places. Thanks all for reading and let's get some reviews going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:12 PM

481 posts, read 1,150,376 times
I would not call it unique, but I really love Workers Takeout. They have an awesome cuban sandwich that only costs 6 bucks and will feed me twice. One of my favorite places is Los Portales on 13th street near Chops Bowling. You pick your meat, which includes head, tongue, chorizo, chicken, braised beef, pulled pork, etc, and they will put in a very authentic dish. LOVE IT. Anytime you can get a taco for one dollar you have to go for it. Did I mention it is inside of a goodrich? Everyone loves ice cream after tongue tacos!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,137,776 times
King Kong - Their salad dressing is awesome, after you acquire the taste for it.

Jason's Deli - They have some awesome Chicken Pot Pie Soup!

Maria's Mexican Restaurant - They make these tacos and the shell kind of forms a pouch, really good.

Pudgy's Pizza - Closest thing to stuffed Chicago style pizza.

PepperJacks - I love the rice bowls!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 PM

175 posts, read 389,018 times
http://hitwdc.com/ Hole In The Wall Dining Club

Might want to try that site, they don't have them all of course but it's a great start.

I also love Alvadaros, it's a mexican place and best I've ever had.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:04 AM

475 posts, read 2,036,874 times
I thought this was supposed to be 'unique restaurants'

Carribbean Delights - Jamaican jerk chicken!

Espana - Tapas with Flamenco dancing!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 AM

54 posts, read 128,080 times
Thanks for the input guys. My wife and I have a few places to try now. The HITW dining club is a neat little site. Please note that I was trying to avoid chains that can be found in mutiple cities across the US (Jason's Deli, and Pepperjax, though good)

I was trying to highlight locally owned (I don't know if Pepperjax is locally owned, but I'm pretty sure Jason's Deli isn't) small, "low to the ground" price-wise eateries.

Another place:

Taste - Rockbrook (108th and Center) - GREAT fusion, high end deconstructed simple flavorful meals @ a reasonable price. Great for a Saturday or Sunday lunch (check Sunday's as they have private parties sometimes). Diverse menu, fresh ingredients, and solid atmosphere. Only complaint is management has been a merri-go-round and the last manager was.... not experienced in customer service. GREAT experience and unique place though. Maybe a dollar or two more for a plate than Chilli's or Friday's but, SOOO much better. Also great wine list!!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 AM

19 posts, read 46,641 times
Dixie Quicks has some really interesting breakfasts... have never gone for dinner or lunch.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,827,632 times
El Aguila's is very good, Joe Tess's, La Casa's, Hector's are all very good

Old 04-12-2010, 03:42 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,100,440 times
Any of you ever hit up Burger Lust, down in South O?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 PM

175 posts, read 389,018 times
I kept hearing about Frank's Pizza so I decided to try it. The guy got my order wrong, blamed me for it and then had the nerve to charge me extra to fix it. The pizza was okay, nothing great in my opinon. The sauce seemed overly acidic to my taste. I haven't been back and I seriously doubt I ever will. Night Flight Pizza (48th and Dodge) is better and cheaper. But Big Fred's is one of the best places for pizza in the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or