U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:22 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,104 times

Advertisements

I guess I don't get it. More people mean more tax payers and more workers. It's not like China is running out of land. Neither are we by the way. But lets not turn this into an abortion debate I guess. We'll argue until we are blue and end up getting banned. . haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:18 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,690 times
You are right that a company can't be expected to know everything about all its business partners. However, here, it was pretty apparent that the company had been informed of the issues and did nothing about it. In fact, with all these issues up in the air, why is the company still doing the display?

I suppose someone could argue that its just a much more extreme example of practices that are regularly engaged in by U.S. manufacturers that take advantage of sweat shop practices in Asia. But this is quite a bit more extreme.

I think this excerpt probably sums up my feelings pretty well:

Their Disclaimer:

-This exhibit displays human remains of Chinese citizens or residents which were originally received by the Chinese Bureau of Police. The Chinese Bureau of Police may receive bodies from Chinese prisons. Premier cannot independently verify that the human remains you are viewing are not those of persons who were incarcerated in Chinese prisons.

-This exhibit displays full body cadavers as well as human body parts, organs, fetuses and embryos that come from cadavers of Chinese citizens or residents. With respect to the human parts, organs, fetuses and embryos you are viewing, Premier relies solely on the representations of its Chinese partners and cannot independently verify that they do not belong to persons executed while incarcerated in Chinese prisons.

Cuomo's Response:

"The grim reality is that Premier Exhibitions has profited from displaying the remains of individuals who may have been tortured and executed in China. Despite repeated denials, we now know that Premier itself cannot demonstrate the circumstances that led to the death of the individuals. Nor is Premier able to establish that these people consented to their remains being used in this manner. Respect for the dead and respect for the public requires that Premier do more than simply assure us that there is no reason for concern."

Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,268,950 times
Let's be fair here --- China has an abyssmal human rights record. To think that they would sell off the bodies of their executed prisoners and/or those that died in their work camps is hardly out of the realm of possibilities. We won't even go into the culture of corporate corruption that brought us tainted milk (which killed how many kids again?), schools not anywhere near built to code (which killed how many kids in Earthquakes?), and of course all that pesky lead in paint on kids toys.
Nebulous claims? Whatever lets you sleep at night.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Let's be fair here --- China has an abyssmal human rights record. To think that they would sell off the bodies of their executed prisoners and/or those that died in their work camps is hardly out of the realm of possibilities. We won't even go into the culture of corporate corruption that brought us tainted milk (which killed how many kids again?), schools not anywhere near built to code (which killed how many kids in Earthquakes?), and of course all that pesky lead in paint on kids toys.
Nebulous claims? Whatever lets you sleep at night.
Whatever lets me sleep at night?

Well, frankly, what lets me sleep at night is NOT believing all the hyperbole that comes shooting through the sewer we call the media.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:38 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,598,639 times
The company acknowledges themselves that the bodies are actual human bodies, but then states that they cannot track where exactly they got each body from! I wonder if I started displaying dead human bodies, if I would be required to prove the source of each of them? I guess if I made enough donations to the DNC I wouldn't have to.

Disgusting. As are everyone who pays to see dead human flesh displayed.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:04 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,690 times
No, not everyone who wants to see a dead body is disgusting. There is nothing wrong with education and there is nothing wrong with humans understanding their own bodies.

But I agree with you when it comes to the mind boggling justification the company provides.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 PM

152 posts, read 317,277 times
This display of mutilated human beings disrespectful to the dead and very creepy. Unless the people whose bodies are being permanently used for making a buck had expressly consented to being filleted and displayed in this manner, then a very grave sin has been committed against them.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:54 PM

4 posts, read 16,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
There are a lot of articles about it on the web.......it seems that everything is in limbo as authorities cannot prove that they were prisoners, and the show cannot prove that they aren't. The producers of the bodies say that they are not allowed to show the paperwork proving that the bodies are from people who were 'unclaimed'.
I've read a lot of those too. Hard to track or private paperwork is not a good excuse it's the same thing they said in 2007 about the poisonous pet food they were shipping to the US. My family isn't going to the exhibit unless we can find a written guarantee that those bodies were donated and not just picked up like spare scraps or purchased from prisons.

Honestly - would we as Americans ever pass a law to enable artists or anyone for that matter to purchase dead bodies of unclaimed persons so we can decorate them and sell them as statues?

How long do they give people a chance to claim the bodies and what all do they go through to let the public know that there is an unclaimed body? Don't forget to think of all the reasons someone may go unclaimed. It could be a random solo tourist who got stabbed and robbed making it difficult or even possibly impossible to identify. Even if it's only 1 chance out of million that's enough for me to not go. I couldn't forgive myself if I went and found out later that someone's uncle or mom had been mistakenly added to the exhibit.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:27 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,669,918 times
I'm sorry...I just consider this to be kind of creepy.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:28 AM

15 posts, read 54,545 times
This show is very informative. It is amazing what they can show you and how educational it can be. I really enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or