U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 PM

14,199 posts, read 23,890,046 times

Advertisements

When the exhibit was shown in Chicago, they had a smaller exhibit located in the walkway to terminal A at Chicago-Midway Airport. I wish that they had provided some warning signs as I was not prepared to see the dissection of a human so close to dinner time.

Personally, I would like know he source of the bodies before spending any money seeing such an exhibit. I sometimes wonder if there would be a different reaction if the bodies were westerners.

It is interesting that the Department of the Interior has pulled all displays of human remains from its exhibits in recent years out of respect for the individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,104 times
So not to get all soaked in the middle of this peeing match. But we all have an obligation to do the right thing. That includes staying away from things that our conscience perceives as morally questionable. We each have separately formed consciences. Some of us don't find this a morally questionable some of us do.

I'm basically split. If I could get free tickets I might go, but since I don't really see that happening, I'll probably stay away.

As far as morals go. For me, this is questionable in the very least. Therefore I don't feel comfortable paying for this show. If admission were free and I could honestly say that I was going for educational purposes, that would probably be fine. But free doesn't seem to be an option and I don't suppose it would be purely education for me, I would be going at least partially for entertainment and entertainment at the expense of the dead is kind of messed up morally. So I think I'll be safe and stay away.

Everyone needs to examine their conscience and decide for themselves.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 AM

152 posts, read 317,277 times
This is getting off-topic. The location of the exhibit has nothing to do with the issue at hand. The issue being the "Bodies" exhibit and the high probability that it is displaying the mutilated and preserved corpses of people who never gave their permision (Chinese political prisoners) to be displayed in this fashion.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:41 PM

13,906 posts, read 19,079,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
If you're going to answer this, do it in a new thread.
Why didn't you follow that advice when you guys decided to question the morality of this exhibit?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,268,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Honestly... Everything I bolded is a set of relatively contradictory assumptions.

You mention "the proof" and "the facts" but you're not giving proof or facts.

If your mind is satisfied that - in the absence of actual proof - the likelihood of wrong is high enough that you will NOT go see "Bodies - The Exhibit" then don't go. It's great that you feel that way.

But why are you on me like some fundie preacher, condemning me to hell because I don't hold the same view as you? If my wife & I decide to go to the exhibit, we will. And we're not going to feel the least bit guilty about it as a result of being preached at, like we're murdering innocent people or something.

You decide whether or not you want to go. I will do the same.
The dead people being used for this exhibit were healthy and young. That is a fact.
I never condemned you to hell --- that is a fact also.
You have yet to show proof that these people willingly gave their bodies to be filleted for the enjoyment of Americans. And that is the final fact.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When the exhibit was shown in Chicago, they had a smaller exhibit located in the walkway to terminal A at Chicago-Midway Airport. I wish that they had provided some warning signs as I was not prepared to see the dissection of a human so close to dinner time.

Personally, I would like know he source of the bodies before spending any money seeing such an exhibit. I sometimes wonder if there would be a different reaction if the bodies were westerners.

It is interesting that the Department of the Interior has pulled all displays of human remains from its exhibits in recent years out of respect for the individuals.
I wonder that too -- if these people were from England or the Netherlands or a little closer to home like Alabama or Iowa would this exhibit be allowed at all? I don't think that it would.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,193,001 times
I saw the exhibit. I don't see what all the morality fuss is about. They're just bodies. We all have one.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The dead people being used for this exhibit were healthy and young. That is a fact.
I never condemned you to hell --- that is a fact also.
You have yet to show proof that these people willingly gave their bodies to be filleted for the enjoyment of Americans. And that is the final fact.
Why do I need to show proof that they willingly gave their bodies to be "filleted for the enjoyment of Americans" (a really sick way of being judgmental)?

I'm not the one being judgmental and making accusations? I'm not the one claiming that they were crucified and then put on display postmortem.

Normally it's the people making accusations who need to provide proof - not the people who are asking for that proof.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I saw the exhibit. I don't see what all the morality fuss is about. They're just bodies. We all have one.
Well apparently there's more to it than that. And rest assured, for some of the judges here you are one sick ba**ard for going to see the Exhibit. You just are.

Now you should repent...

Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Why do I need to show proof that they willingly gave their bodies to be "filleted for the enjoyment of Americans" (a really sick way of being judgmental)?

I'm not the one being judgmental and making accusations? I'm not the one claiming that they were crucified and then put on display postmortem.

Normally it's the people making accusations who need to provide proof - not the people who are asking for that proof.
Hey, I'm just giving the facts. Do you deny that these were living human beings? Do you deny that their bodies have been filleted and preserved for the enjoyment of Americans? Judgemental, moi? How about merely factual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or