U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,460,433 times

Advertisements

2 challenge Sophir for OPS seat - Omaha.com

quote:

Incumbent Penny Sophir is being challenged by Learning Community Council member Justin Wayne and political newcomer Robert “Rob” Monahan Butler.

Wayne, whose position on that council is not up for re-election for two years, said he’s prepared to leave the council if elected to the school board.

“It’s time for a new direction,” said Wayne, who attended OP...S schools from kindergarten through high school.

He said his experience on the council and his work with children as president of the Midwest Trailblazers youth basketball program have prepared him for the decisions facing school board members.Improving the quality of neighborhood schools is crucial, he said.

Wayne, a labor relations attorney for Union Pacific Railroad, has tried twice previously to secure a seat on the OPS board.

In 2004, he lost in an election, and in 2008, he applied for a vacant board seat but was not chosen.

Later in 2008, he was elected to the Learning Community Council, representing northeast Omaha.

Butler, the political newcomer, has lived in Subdistrict 1 for nearly 10 years.

He said he became interested in board service during the “one-city, one school district” controversy, when OPS set out to expand into neighboring school districts.

“That really was a cry for help,” Butler said of the effort, which ultimately resulted in creation of the Learning Community.

“OPS is in a situation where they could be the best school district in the city. That’s truly what I’d like to see,” he said.

Butler said it’s important to trim the administrative ranks and focus spending on students in the classroom.

Reducing truancy and improving graduation rates also are key for Butler.

Two candidates will advance from the May 11 primary to the November election.

more on article at

2 challenge Sophir for OPS seat - Omaha.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 AM

speaking of the ops board

Marian Fey for OPS Board of Education | Facebook

and:

Welcome Page

is ops district 9 candidate marian Fey 's websites

Dave Schinzel also running for district 9. couldnt find website he has (if he has one)

also

Omaha Public Schools - Subdistrict 07 has 3 candidates

Juliana V. Garza
Roger Garcia

both of whom are running against handpicked by Sandra Jensen "incumbent" Barb Velasquez

Old 04-15-2010, 11:32 AM

here btw is the Rob Butler for OPS Board group on FACEBOOK

Rob Butler for Omaha Public School Board | Facebook

and btw:

Roger Garcia for OPS Board of Education | Facebook

is the Roger Garcia for Omaha Public school board district 7 group on facebook

and:

http://justintwayne.com/

is Justin Wayne for district 1 website

I say kick Sophir and Velasquez out in 2010

and throw Sandra Jensen and Kersten Borer and Mary L. Morrissey and Mary Ellen Drickey out in 2012

Last edited by billiefan2000; 04-15-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 7,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
speaking of the ops board

[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marian-Fey-for-OPS-Board-of-Education/487890450360?ref=ts]Marian Fey for OPS Board of Education | Facebook[/url]

and:

[url=http://feyforopsboard.com/]Welcome Page[/url]

is ops district 9 candidate marian Fey 's websites

Dave Schinzel also running for district 9. couldnt find website he has (if he has one)

also

Omaha Public Schools - Subdistrict 07 has 3 candidates

Juliana V. Garza
Roger Garcia

both of whom are running against handpicked by Sandra Jensen "incumbent" Barb Velasquez
Hi! Marian Fey's campaign website is
[url=http://www.feyforopsboard.com/]Welcome Page[/url]
Thanks for posting her Facebook URL!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 PM

related:

3 seek seat on Omaha school board - Omaha.com

3 seek seat on Omaha school board District 7

Three South Omaha residents are vying for the Omaha school board seat representing neighborhoods around Bryan High School.

The mother of four children and three stepchildren said she was encouraged to seek the seat. Two of her children currently attend OPS schools, and two others graduated from Bryan High School.

Since February, Velázquez said she has gotten herself up to speed on challenges facing the district and wants to continue her board service.

“I enjoy having that contact (with district residents) so I can help people understand the challenges and the amazing programs that are available,” Velázquez said.

After graduation, Velázquez lived for a time in Honduras, where she taught kindergarten through 12th-grade students. She also has been an instructor for adult basic education in Omaha. She said she hopes that those experiences, as well as her time at Metro, will be helpful as the district works to improve graduation and college-attendance rates, particularly among Latino students.

Garza, 33, has spent the last six years working with Latino families and students at the Latino Center of the Midlands. She oversees education and student support programs for the nonprofit organization. She said she has a passion for working with youths.

“I want to continue advocating for students and parents, so we can help them stay in school,” Garza said.

Garza said the school board is a team, and she wants to be a part of that.

“The key to student successes is the link between the community and schools, the students and the parents.”

Garcia, 23, is preparing for an August graduation from the University of Nebraska at Omaha. He works as a South Omaha community liaison for the Omaha Mayor's Office. This month, he received the Senior Vice Chancellor Outstanding Leadership Award for his volunteer service at UNO. Garcia grew up in Columbus, Neb.

Garcia said his age and ability to relate to the concerns of students specifically Latino males would bring the board something it's missing now.

“It never hurts to have different perspectives,” he said.

Currently, there are 12 women on the board, and no men. There are four male candidates for OPS board seats on the primary ballot.

OPS Subdistrict 7 spans from just north of Interstate 80 to the district's southern boundary at Cornhusker Road and from 60th Street east to essentially 36th Street.

3 seek seat on Omaha school board - Omaha.com

Roger Garcia for OPS Board of Education District 7 Facebook group

Roger Garcia for OPS Board of Education | Facebook

Old 04-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annagrammatica View Post
Hi! Marian Fey's campaign website is
Welcome Page
Thanks for posting her Facebook URL!
youre welcome.

I wish both Fey and Schnizel the best. either one is a better improvement over Mona McGregor.

hopefully Sophir becomes a ex-board member in November also.

those 2 and Sandra Jensen (who is up for re-election in 2012) have been in the last few years a disaster and it's time for new faces and ideas on the ops board.

I am hoping folks in 2012 will run against OPS board members

Kersten Borer
Mary Ellen Drickey
Sandra Jensen
Nancy Huston
Freddie Gray
Mary L. Morrissey

all of whom who are up for re-election in 2012

cause the ops board needs new faces/ideas, not the Sandra Jensen types in the OPS system that have IMO ruined OPS in the last few years, if not decade and seem more intrested in holding onto power than making OPS better.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 AM

congrats to Justin Wayne who did good last night.

http://www.justintwayne.com

hope he btw will reach out to Rob Butler and his supporters

cause Justin will need all the support he can get this fall against Sophir

also:

Roger Garcia http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roger-...2029723?ref=ts

and Marian Fey http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marian...0450360?ref=ts

did real well too in their ops races also

congrats to them both also.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 05-12-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 09:34 AM

Butler backs Wayne in race - Omaha.com

Butler backs Wayne in race

The third-place finisher in a hotly contested Omaha school board primary election has thrown his support behind Justin Wayne

Justin Wayne | Home

Robert Butler, who received 15 percent of the vote Tuesday against Wayne and incumbent Penny Sophir, has endorsed Wayne for the Subdistrict 1 seat representing northeast Omaha.

Wayne was the top vote-getter in the primary.

Butler said he shares Wayne’s desire to create strong neighborhood schools and to bring more fiscal responsibility to the board.

Butler backs Wayne in race - Omaha.com

it dont look good for Sophir. be glad when Justin replaces her in November.

Sophir and McGregor I will be glad wont be on the school board in a few months.

Mona and Penny and also Sandra Jensen who is up for election 2012 need to go.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:49 PM

btw:

ROGER GARCIA - ABOUT ROGER (http://www.rogergarcia2010.com/default.html - broken link)

is the new website I found online for Roger Garcia for Omaha Public school board district 7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or