U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:29 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,165,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
If the u-turn is legal and you can make it without disrupting traffic. Yes.
there is a NO U-turn sign at 56th and Northwest Radial HWY and I saw 2 people today break the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 PM

231 posts, read 556,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
there is a NO U-turn sign at 56th and Northwest Radial HWY and I saw 2 people today break the law.
Is anyone arguing that? You said "no one should be doing u-turn's anywhere", but that is ridiculous since they are perfectly legal at plenty of intersections. Have you ever driven down 72nd street? There are several left-turn lanes where u-turns are explicitly allowed on a green arrow.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 AM

1,048 posts, read 1,379,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Correct. I said it's ok as long as it's a legal u-turn and you're not disrupting traffic.

If there is a no u-turn sign at 56th and NWR then it's illegal, and therefore I'm not ok with it and they should get a ticket if they are caught.

I kind of want to follow these people, then when they get out of their car ask them where they have to be, that's so important that they found it necessary to endanger my life. Because that sounds like hoppin' place.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM

14 posts, read 11,141 times
I make U turns all the time. It's only illegal IF it's posted that you can't make one at a paricular intersection. Now of course there are certain intersections that just aren't wide enough to make one safely OR traffic patterns or obstructions can cause U turns to be dangerous. I think you have to be a smart enough driver to be aware of the limitations of an intersection before you attempt to make one. I honestly don't care how LEGAL it is, if you can't do it safely then what's a few more blocks added to your trip so that EVERYONE can make it to their destinations without incident. I'm just not going to insist on my right-of-way if it doesn't make sense to do so. For instance, there are a lot of intersections where U turns just are not that common. Therefore, drivers behind someone doing a U turn can really be caught off guard. In that case I'd think twice about doing a U turn at a location like this and if I decided to do so, I'd proceed slowly and cautious and make sure my signals are on. Then if I some how got hit, the accident surely would NOT be my fault because I make every attempt to let people know what I'm doing before I actually do it.

U turns in and of themselves are not the issue, it's the drivers who aren't paying attention and the drivers who execute them poorly or illegally who cause the biggest problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha