U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,477,172 times

Advertisements

I live not too far from that area and 56th and NWRH is known to be a unofficial u-turn street corner by many

surprised more accidents hasnt happened there already considering some drivers are reckless at that street corner.

================================================== ======

3 Hurt When SUV, Car Hit In Omaha - Project Economy News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/money/23199010/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,144,417 times
Is it just the crazy drivers that make that spot bad? It seems like a pretty straightforward intersection to make a U turn to me. I wonder if this accident will get no U-Turn signs up there?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Is it just the crazy drivers that make that spot bad? It seems like a pretty straightforward intersection to make a U turn to me. I wonder if this accident will get no U-Turn signs up there?

they already are, but like with a lot of areas with no u-turn signs, some people tend to ignore them

Old 04-20-2010, 04:13 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,183,583 times
I really don't know why that particular intersection should be so dangerous. It's a regular 90 degree intersection.

Perhaps that walking bridge/overpass partially obstructs vision? I've never noticed that it does, but then again I've never tried a U-Turn there.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I really don't know why that particular intersection should be so dangerous. It's a regular 90 degree intersection.

Perhaps that walking bridge/overpass partially obstructs vision? I've never noticed that it does, but then again I've never tried a U-Turn there.

it is dangerous. it this is about u-turns we are talking about and the idiot selfish drivers who do them.

it is dangerous cause of the reckless behavior that can happen when one does a u-turn.

if that was the case that the street was blocking someone's view

there would be accidents at 48th and center and 78th and maple and 99th and fort street among other areas where there are overpasses.

no one should be doing u-turn's anywhere. we just got bad drivers in this town are way too much of a hurry to go to a bar or something

or was too busy on their cell phone talking while driving and missed their turn, so they feel like doing a u-turn

Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Driving in Omaha top 5 rules (funny)

1. If you cant drive on West Dodge Expressway the youre likely a wuss.

2. required by law to be on a cell phone at all times and flip the bird at people when someone demands you get off the phone and drive.

3. You will likely drive by a Runza and a Subway and a Walgreens if you drive more than 2 miles.

4. you will likely on monday at some point see a MAT bus break down.

bonus points for yourself if it's bus routes 1 or 34. http://metroareatransit.com/html/rt1_4-10S.html (broken link) and:

http://metroareatransit.com/html/rt34_4-10T.html (broken link)

5. I cant drive 55 is a Sammy Hagar song and required MPH to be driving in neithborhood areas or anywhere else that is under 45 miles a hour.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 AM

U-turns are just fine if it's at a legal intersection and the person isn't stupid. I've seen a u-turn sign on one of the turn lanes on 72nd Street. When I've visited certain cities in Florida and even in Chicago I've seen u-turn lanes. They can be done correctly, sometimes it's not about being selfish as much as it's just necessary to avoid driving 3 or 4 blocks out of the way.

That being said, I'm sure every town deals with this, but Omaha drivers on average really do suck. It's not uncommon on a daily basis to see something completely stupid.

People that are in the right lane and decide they need to turn left so they just cut across or vice versa.

People that turn one way while signaling the other.

The 3 or 4 cars that go on through after the light is red.

The people that drag race to be first, because the 2 lane is going to 1.

People that are out for a simple cruise in the LEFT lane of the interstate.

Braking on the interstate for no reason other than a slight curve, the interstate at Pacific, or the 80 - 680 exchange is horrible for this.

Stopping on the interstate for something going down in the oncoming side of the interstate, seperated by concrete barriers.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,183,583 times
Quote:
U-turns are just fine if it's at a legal intersection and the person isn't stupid. I've seen a u-turn sign on one of the turn lanes on 72nd Street. When I've visited certain cities in Florida and even in Chicago I've seen u-turn lanes. They can be done correctly, sometimes it's not about being selfish as much as it's just necessary to avoid driving 3 or 4 blocks out of the way.

That being said, I'm sure every town deals with this, but Omaha drivers on average really do suck. It's not uncommon on a daily basis to see something completely stupid.
Wow, you nailed that one perfectly!

I don't know whether - on the whole - Omaha drivers are worse than those in other cities, but holy cow, I too would say there's never a day goes by when I don't see something extremely stupid being done by some driver.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:

People that are in the right lane and decide they need to turn left so they just cut across or vice versa.

People that turn one way while signaling the other.

The 3 or 4 cars that go on through after the light is red.

The people that drag race to be first, because the 2 lane is going to 1.

People that are out for a simple cruise in the LEFT lane of the interstate.

Braking on the interstate for no reason other than a slight curve, the interstate at Pacific, or the 80 - 680 exchange is horrible for this.

Stopping on the interstate for something going down in the oncoming side of the interstate, seperated by concrete barriers.

so you are saying making u-turns is okay

Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
so you are saying making u-turns is okay
If the u-turn is legal and you can make it without disrupting traffic. Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or