Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 05:52 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,635 times

Advertisements

A 22 year old male was shot the other night in Omaha, he died later at the hospital.

As reported on TV he was in a high speed chase with shots fired from the vehicles. He ditched the car and ran on foot into an open field where a head shot put him down.

Question........why not call the police while you are being chased and report what is happening to you? Why not drive to the police station that was only blocks away from scene? YOu know he had a cell phone......

Was he trying to get away? Was he trying not to RAT out the guys that were going to kill him?

We wonder why civilains don't report crimes and give out information to the police, the criminals don't either.

Street Justice live by it and die by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Question........why not call the police while you are being chased and report what is happening to you? Why not drive to the police station that was only blocks away from scene? YOu know he had a cell phone......

Was he trying to get away? Was he trying not to RAT out the guys that were going to kill him?
Maybe he was scared out of his wits and didn't realize how close he was to the police station. Unless you've ever been chased by people shooting at you from another car you might want to refrain from making assumptions about this guy.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:51 PM

604 posts, read 750,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Maybe he was scared out of his wits and didn't realize how close he was to the police station. Unless you've ever been chased by people shooting at you from another car you might want to refrain from making assumptions about this guy.

You can get shot at playing airsoft/paintball and handle a situation okay, but knowing your life is actually in danger, its "fight or flight" as some say..

He may have been extremely afraid of them, or a tourist, someone just passing through, though unlikely...

Or a criminal himself... if he ran to the police, they'd wonder WHY they were chasing him...

Old 04-23-2010, 10:10 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
The victim's family said he was a good guy with no gang connections, and that he had never been in trouble. He had, however, been arrested earlier this year on a drug charge.

My guess is that he wasn't paying his "bills."

Old 04-25-2010, 05:45 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,635 times
By not getting the real story, assumptions are all we can do. He either was very stupid, involved in the drug trade or just comitting suicide. It reminds me of a scene from the movie The Boyz in the Hood.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 PM

175 posts, read 441,851 times
The victim's family always says they are 'good guys' yet I never really believe it. If they were chasing him they had a reason to do so. I can almost always guess what the family will say in each of these shootings now, it's so sad. Always point out he was a good man and took care of his baby, getting his life turned around and going to go to school. I know they didn't say that in this case but it's almost always what they do say.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,626 times
Robber's mom forgives shooter - Omaha.com

I liked this story. I thought it sorta broke the mold for a few reasons.

#1: the mother decided to forgive the shooter. I'd normally expect a much less understanding mindset.
#2: the mother admitted the poor decisions of her son. I'd again expect a more close-minded perspective.
#3: she said that he used to be a good kid without saying it directly. She avoided the cliche, and rather gave some examples (like filming church sermons) to show that her son was a person doing the right things before he let this lifestyle take him over.
#4: Most surprisingly, the OWH actually wrote up a story about the background of someone who isn't white or on a popular sports team. I wish they'd look into every shooting as hard as they've pursued this story.

After reading this article, I have a huge amount of respect for this woman, even if I'd hope that she'd hold a tighter reign on her son.
I also better understand the background of the robber, and that he got sucked into this life. While it doesn't excuse his behavior at all, he obviously learned the hard way what that life leads to.

I'd hope for more journalism like this to continue in the future...

Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,544,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
Robber's mom forgives shooter - Omaha.com

I liked this story. I thought it sorta broke the mold for a few reasons.

#1: the mother decided to forgive the shooter. I'd normally expect a much less understanding mindset.
#2: the mother admitted the poor decisions of her son. I'd again expect a more close-minded perspective.
#3: she said that he used to be a good kid without saying it directly. She avoided the cliche, and rather gave some examples (like filming church sermons) to show that her son was a person doing the right things before he let this lifestyle take him over.
#4: Most surprisingly, the OWH actually wrote up a story about the background of someone who isn't white or on a popular sports team. I wish they'd look into every shooting as hard as they've pursued this story.

After reading this article, I have a huge amount of respect for this woman, even if I'd hope that she'd hold a tighter reign on her son.
I also better understand the background of the robber, and that he got sucked into this life. While it doesn't excuse his behavior at all, he obviously learned the hard way what that life leads to.

I'd hope for more journalism like this to continue in the future...

me too when it comes to that journalism and I got respect for MC cullough for his actions.

when it comes to crime, we need to think of the old saying

Were not going to take it anymore (that 80's song should be the city's theme song on the crime wave problem)

and yes I am a fan of that song

sorry the thief died, but he got what he deserved for his criminal behavior.

he picked a fight with the wrong person and payed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: