U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,261,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
What color is the sky in your world?

Rather blue with many gray clouds...

Nonetheless, sometimes getting all the paperwork (except for that pesky marriage lisence) signed and notorized doesn't mean jack at the end of the day.

One evening, Harold fell down the front steps of their home and was taken to the hospital. Based on their medical directives alone, Clay should have been consulted in Harold’s care from the first moment. Tragically, county and health care workers instead refused to allow Clay to see Harold in the hospital.

Elderly Gay Couple Separated by Sonoma County Officials, Ignoring Couple's Express Wishes

This was a couple who had lived together for twenty years. They had power of attorney over each other and all the other directives that are needed to assure two individuals who are not married and can never be married the rights that straight couples take for granted.

I have gay family and gay friends and I will tell you this ---- none of them gyrate in g-strings, none of them try to force their gayness on me, none of them are sl*ts. I too wish the gay pride parades were family friendly -- I'd take my kids in a minute. Maybe the 'inyourfacedness' about them came about after all the years gays had to pretend to be straight, oftentimes for fear of their lives. I don't know. I do know that it is an injustice to compare all gay men and women to the leather fetishists at gay pride parades just like it would be an injustice to compare all straight women with the dumb hos you see in all the 'girls gone crazy' videos. Most people are pretty boring regardless of sexual preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,097,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Rather blue with many gray clouds...

Nonetheless, sometimes getting all the paperwork (except for that pesky marriage lisence) signed and notorized doesn't mean jack at the end of the day.

One evening, Harold fell down the front steps of their home and was taken to the hospital. Based on their medical directives alone, Clay should have been consulted in Harold’s care from the first moment. Tragically, county and health care workers instead refused to allow Clay to see Harold in the hospital.

Elderly Gay Couple Separated by Sonoma County Officials, Ignoring Couple's Express Wishes

This was a couple who had lived together for twenty years. They had power of attorney over each other and all the other directives that are needed to assure two individuals who are not married and can never be married the rights that straight couples take for granted.

I have gay family and gay friends and I will tell you this ---- none of them gyrate in g-strings, none of them try to force their gayness on me, none of them are sl*ts. I too wish the gay pride parades were family friendly -- I'd take my kids in a minute. Maybe the 'inyourfacedness' about them came about after all the years gays had to pretend to be straight, oftentimes for fear of their lives. I don't know. I do know that it is an injustice to compare all gay men and women to the leather fetishists at gay pride parades just like it would be an injustice to compare all straight women with the dumb hos you see in all the 'girls gone crazy' videos. Most people are pretty boring regardless of sexual preference.
While I respect your opinions, I'm not buying about 90% of what's in the story you linked. It is hardly a credible and objective site.

Also, some of the information is - I'm quite certain - total BS. If, as is claimed in this article, this couple had their wills, powers of attorney, and medical directives, all in order there is NO WAY a hospital would simply ignore and violate those things. To do so would leave them wide open to at least one multi-million dollar lawsuit - a lawsuit they absolutely WOULD lose. No question.

There are simply too many inconsistencies and intentional errors for that link to be credible. If even a fraction of what is alleged actually happened, there are MASSIVE and OVERWHELMING lawsuits pending.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
While I respect your opinions, I'm not buying about 90% of what's in the story you linked. It is hardly a credible and objective site.

Also, some of the information is - I'm quite certain - total BS. If, as is claimed in this article, this couple had their wills, powers of attorney, and medical directives, all in order there is NO WAY a hospital would simply ignore and violate those things. To do so would leave them wide open to at least one multi-million dollar lawsuit - a lawsuit they absolutely WOULD lose. No question.

There are simply too many inconsistencies and intentional errors for that link to be credible. If even a fraction of what is alleged actually happened, there are MASSIVE and OVERWHELMING lawsuits pending.
I understand - but look what happened here recently when a court appointed guardian stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from the elderly put into her care. There was even a woman who made sure her wishes were known on her burial preference -- it was ignored.

I'm just saying that a legal recognition of ones 'marital' status is not much to ask for all citizens of the US. I'm not saying (and neither is the gay community) that churches/synogogues/etc.. must recognize and perform homosexual unions. Rather, it is just 'insurance' that the state does.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I understand - but look what happened here recently when a court appointed guardian stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from the elderly put into her care. There was even a woman who made sure her wishes were known on her burial preference -- it was ignored.

I'm just saying that a legal recognition of ones 'marital' status is not much to ask for all citizens of the US. I'm not saying (and neither is the gay community) that churches/synogogues/etc.. must recognize and perform homosexual unions. Rather, it is just 'insurance' that the state does.
Wrong and illegal is wrong and illegal, whether it is something happening to a heterosexual couple or a homosexual couple.

Things such as wills, power of attorney and living will are contested, ignored and/or overturned all the time - regardless of the race, gender and/or sexual preference of those involved. There are lawsuits over these things all the time. It is NOT a gay discrimination thing. And to think that a marriage license, somewhere in some court house, will keep this from happening is delusional. It doesn't keep it from happening to heterosexual couples. Why would we think it'd be different for homosexual couples?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmNe View Post
Omaha Rocks. You are just a crazy idiot!!!! The more you post the more stupid you sound.
No need to be pissy to Omaha Rocks. If you can't debate politely - well, it means you can't defend your position.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Wrong and illegal is wrong and illegal, whether it is something happening to a heterosexual couple or a homosexual couple.

Things such as wills, power of attorney and living will are contested, ignored and/or overturned all the time - regardless of the race, gender and/or sexual preference of those involved. There are lawsuits over these things all the time. It is NOT a gay discrimination thing. And to think that a marriage license, somewhere in some court house, will keep this from happening is delusional. It doesn't keep it from happening to heterosexual couples. Why would we think it'd be different for homosexual couples?
If marriage is just a piece of paper then why should anyone do it? If its not just a label, then why not allow gays to do it?

I'm a conservative (albeit not in the GOP model) and encouraging citizens to live in committed (both legal and social) relationships seems to be in the best interest for society as a whole. By encouraging gays to live in monogamous family structures (just as we should be encouraging straight couples) we would be strengthening our society as a whole.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
If marriage is just a piece of paper then why should anyone do it? If its not just a label, then why not allow gays to do it?

I'm a conservative (albeit not in the GOP model) and encouraging citizens to live in committed (both legal and social) relationships seems to be in the best interest for society as a whole. By encouraging gays to live in monogamous family structures (just as we should be encouraging straight couples) we would be strengthening our society as a whole.
Good points.

It appears to me that from a legal perspective, marriage licenses are becoming worth little more than the paper they're printed on. And in a way, why not? The people entering into marriage are, for the most part, stupidly ill-equipped to make marriage work.

The fact is, there are fewer and fewer legal benefits of marriage. Fewer tax benefits (in fact it could be argued that married couples are actually penalized in regards to taxes). Fewer insurance or estate benefits.

And I would certainly agree that encouraging ALL people to live in committed relationships will do nothing but strengthen our society. And I'm talking about ALL relationships, not just those "couple" relationships.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Ride em' plow boy.....

...ooops.......

Best of luck Omaha.....
I have no idea...

Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 AM

21 posts, read 75,028 times
This thread was too long to read all of it, so I read the first three pages and the last two. Funny how the topic went from a "Gay District," to Gay Marriage, to wills and other stuff.
I am a gay man, live in the Benson area, moved to Minnesota and now back in Benson. I did not buy a house here to be in the "Gay District," I bought one here because that's where I am from and wish to remain. I have awesome neighbors, great community involvement, am open about who I am and as far as I can tell, am accepted for it. I don't flaunt being gay, its just part of who I am, not ALL that I am. I would be against any area being designated as "gay." If I wanted that, I would move to bigger cities where they can afford to have those places, because they are bigger. I love the diversity and welcome the open discussions of the different views...its how we learn and start to accept people for who they are, not what we think they should be.

A gay area may develop in the future, but that doesnt mean we need to throw rainblow flags on the light poles, or put "Gay Owned" in the windows. Minneapolis has a gay area, but they dont designate it as one, and that city has been fine. Plus, why would anyone choose Benson, if we need our own place, we can just buy Valley and turn it into the Gay Valley...no one wants it anyway...LOL...ouch, I know...had to throw that in there.

So, coming from a Gay man, I am happy with my life. I dont hide who I am, but that doesnt mean i run around and introduce myself as Mr. Gay. I would use a service of a straight owned business just as much as a gay owned one, it depends on if they fit my need. We (the Gay population) want to be accepted and part of the community, but we cant expect to get that if we want to segregate ourselves by building a "Gay District."

Additional notes:

I am for Gay Marriage, but not forcing it on everyone. Marriage is said to be a religous item, if my religion wants to recognize my marriage, then so be it, yours does not have to. But, I should have the same rights as a straight couple has when it comes to insurance, wills, children, etc...

The Gay Pride parade can be a little out there, but so can some other parades. There are parades for Juneteenth, a black celebration for the end of slavery, does anyone complain about their outfits or loudness, or dancing. Point is, if you are not into it, then dont attend, no one is forcing you. I for one, am open to new experiences and love these different parades. Gay pride celebrates a lifestyle that thousands upon thousands of men and women have. Since there is not a total acceptance of our lifestyle, we have one weekend or week or day, where we feel open to be ourselves; to come out of our shells and enjoy being different. Once again, if you dont agree and dont want to learn more, then dont come to the event. But, ridiculing us for having it only shows your shallowness and bigotry.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:09 PM

13,889 posts, read 19,070,929 times
Excellent post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or