U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-02-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 3,048,184 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So what's keeping you from driving across the river and getting married in Iowa?

I know that ideally you'd like to have gay marriage legal in Nebraska. But for the time being, what's keeping you from just going across and into Iowa? Seriously?
Personally, aside from my Nebraska pride not letting me move to Iowa (), I have no intention of staying in either state because of the career I want. However, gay marriages should be legal. If anything I can see it forcing the issue here in Nebraska and the courts eventually siding in favor of gay marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2010, 04:44 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,294 posts, read 13,835,902 times
Reputation: 3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Personally, aside from my Nebraska pride not letting me move to Iowa (), I have no intention of staying in either state because of the career I want. However, gay marriages should be legal. If anything I can see it forcing the issue here in Nebraska and the courts eventually siding in favor of gay marriages.
I happen to know for a fact that you do not need to be a resident of a state to be issued a marriage license there.

Go over to Council Bluffs and get married.


Shoot, if I want to ride my motorcycle without a helmet, I have to go into Iowa to do it. So I have a choice. Stay in Nebraska and whine & moan with my helmet on, or ride over to Iowa and take it off.

I guess it just depends on how badly I want to ride without a helmet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 PM
 
Location: West Omaha
1,181 posts, read 2,711,132 times
Reputation: 453
No, you don't have to be a resident. But that marriage will NOT be recognized in the state of Nebraska. So what's the point, unless you actually move to Iowa. And I think the inability to marry the one you love might be a bit more of an intrusion than the state requiring you to wear a helmet.

This whole notion of just telling people to move is silly. It would be like telling a southern black during the civil rights movement to move to the northern states because their laws are more friendly and because those northern states have more friendly laws there is no reason to change the laws in the south.

And Calvinist, we as a society have not made that decision. We are making the decision right now. That's what this whole discussion is about!! Societal norms change all the time and they are changing now. "We" as a society also decided slavery was ok at one point or that treating women as property was legitimate. The "we as a society" is circular reason when invoking in a discussion pertaining to whether or not we should in fact legalize gay marriage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,294 posts, read 13,835,902 times
Reputation: 3654
^^ Actually, there's a point at which you call the question. It is NOT silly to tell somebody to move, or to do something somewhere else. It's practical. If I absolutely love riding my cycle without wearing a helmet, I have to go somewhere else to do that. I can sit here in Nebraska and complain about not being able to do it, or go to Iowa and just do it. It may not be ideal, in my view, but it's better than nothing - at least for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 2,974,065 times
Reputation: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Thanks to people fighting against that prejudice and securing the rights they had previously been denied.

Then why can't two gay people get married.
For the same reason to straight people of the same gender can't get married.
Quote:
But you agreed that is was wrong when we were limiting the civil rights of blacks and other minorities (done on the "moral" and "decent" argument) but it's okay to do it to gays?
We can't legislate based off of sexual choices. Sorry. We're not going to create a special class of marriage based on the person you like to sleep with.

Being black is not the same issue. When you try and use that argument you're just not doing yourself any favors.
Quote:
Seriously, why don't you people just come out and admit "Hey, I don't want you ******s to get married simply because I don't like you!" or whatever your reasoning is, and stop trying to hide behind the bible or morals.

Hell, at least then I would respect your honesty.
Get married if you want to. I don't care.

And for the record, I don't believe I'm trying to "hide behind the Bible or morals". Have I brought up the Bible in this discussion? It is interesting how you are the one that made the jump to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,048 posts, read 1,306,033 times
Reputation: 207
As civilized human beings. We were always obligated to treat people with dignity, respect, and value. We even made laws that said that's what you are supposed to do. However, like any law, people tried to find loopholes and those loopholes allowed for things like slavery and segregation. It took a lot of arguing and clarificaiton of laws to get people to understand how we should treat one another as human beings. The law was always designed to be this way, it just was never fully realized.

Now. In order for that example to be applicable to gay marriage. You would have to be able to prove that the law has always been intended to provide full recognition to a gay marriage and that we just don't fully understand the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,302 posts, read 6,075,246 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
We can't legislate based off of sexual choices. Sorry. We're not going to create a special class of marriage based on the person you like to sleep with.
Its not a choice. Do we need to repeat that time and time again before we get that through to your mind? By calling it a choice not only are you being ignorant but arrogant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,294 posts, read 13,835,902 times
Reputation: 3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Ok you know what? ********** charade! I never chose to be gay! EVER!!! Why would I?! And you know what?! I hate it so freaking much!!! I want to be straight, I've tried for years and years and years! So much to the point that I started to become sick physically and mentally! I've prayed and done everything! But it is not changing! Ever! I wish it could but it won't! So to say I can't be recognized as marriage with someone I'll end up loving is just sickening! People like you treat us like we aren't human! Do you have any idea how hard it is to be gay?! Of course not because you're the lucky ones! But I will not let people like you, EVER strike my love down. True Love is perfect, and you can never deny that!
Suddenly I'm confused. In your public profile you claim to be straight. Has something changed? Or are you speaking this vicariously?

Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 2,974,065 times
Reputation: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Its not a choice. Do we need to repeat that time and time again before we get that through to your mind? By calling it a choice not only are you being ignorant but arrogant.

Honestly, your attempt at changing how we define it is frankly tiring. Bottom line is you have a choice to be sexually active or not. And it's not always tied to married, hetero or homo. There are many many couples (hetero) that choose never to marry. What is it exactly that differentiates a homosexual from hetero? Is there something that the law can look at? Should 2 straight guys be able to marry? How EXACTLY do we legislate it?

No...I'm not calling you a pedophile, but there are millions of men in this world that think it's not a choice either--but we don't make excuses for their behavior or try to give them legal routes by which to practice it.

Last edited by Calvinist; 06-03-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,302 posts, read 6,075,246 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Suddenly I'm confused. In your public profile you claim to be straight. Has something changed? Or are you speaking this vicariously?

Just curious...
Sorry my priorities don't include changing a stupid word on a profile most people don't look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top