U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,934 posts, read 19,163,377 times
Reputation: 9170

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Because they don't meet the requirements? They aren't real marriages?
Neither did interracial marriage. Those are now recognized, why not same sex marriages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2010, 12:59 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,686,550 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Neither did interracial marriage. Those are now recognized, why not same sex marriages?

That was discrimination that was only given to black people. By denying them the right to marry, they were denying them a right white people had.

That doesn't compare to gay people, as gay people still have the EXACT SAME RIGHTS as straight people. Nobody can marry a person of the same gender. Nobody is saying that a straight person can marry same-gender, but not gay. There is no discrimination whatsoever based on gay/straight. I'm not sure how you could even identify a gay person in order to discriminate against them.

I've also said that several times, but apparently you can't understand that, either. Have someone read it to you and explain it if you need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,934 posts, read 19,163,377 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
That was discrimination that was only given to black people. By denying them the right to marry, they were denying them a right white people had.

That doesn't compare to gay people, as gay people still have the EXACT SAME RIGHTS as straight people. Nobody can marry a person of the same gender. Nobody is saying that a straight person can marry same-gender, but not gay. There is no discrimination whatsoever based on gay/straight. I'm not sure how you could even identify a gay person in order to discriminate against them.

I've also said that several times, but apparently you can't understand that, either. Have someone read it to you and explain it if you need to.
All wrong.

Blacks (and other races) were free to marry, as long as it was done within their own race, thus you can say they had the same rights as everyone else.

Now that we've blown that logical fallacy out of the water, again I ask why same sex marriages shouldn't be recognized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,686,550 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
All wrong.

Blacks (and other races) were free to marry, as long as it was done within their own race, thus you can say they had the same rights as everyone else.
Not really. A black person couldn't marry a white person--like a white person could.
Quote:


Now that we've blown that logical fallacy out of the water, again I ask why same sex marriages shouldn't be recognized.
what logical fallacy?

Seriously, bosco...you're like a broken record. You don't seem to be able to comprehend that someone can actually disagree with you, or that you're wrong.

Once again....what right do gay people not have that I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,934 posts, read 19,163,377 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Not really. A black person couldn't marry a white person--like a white person could.
They could only marry within their own race, thus they had the same rights.

Quote:
what logical fallacy?
See above.

Quote:
Seriously, bosco...you're like a broken record. You don't seem to be able to comprehend that someone can actually disagree with you, or that you're wrong.
I don't care that you disagree with me. I care that you're arguing to restrict rights from a group of people while refusing to give any reason as to why it should be done.

Personally, I'm about 90% certain that it's because you're a bigot. Had you had even the slightest bit of a legitimate reason for your stance, you would have offered it up instead of side stepping the question like a coward.

What's funny is that I actually think less of you than had you stepped up and just said "hey, I hate gays and because of that I want to keep them from being happy" or something to that effect. It's one thing to be a bigot, it's another thing to be a coward bigot.

Quote:
Once again....what right do gay people not have that I have?
The right to have their marriages (since you claim they are free to get married) recognized the same way straight marriages are and as such, share in the benefits that result.

Let's see you side step that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,686,550 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
They could only marry within their own race, thus they had the same rights.

See above.
The issue was that they were being denied the same rights as white people (the ability to marry a white person).
Quote:

I don't care that you disagree with me. I care that you're arguing to restrict rights from a group of people while refusing to give any reason as to why it should be done.

You don't care I'm disagreeing with you? You seem to be carrying on about it. How can I be arguing to "restrict rights" when I'm suggesting they have the exact same rights I do?
Quote:
Personally, I'm about 90% certain that it's because you're a bigot. Had you had even the slightest bit of a legitimate reason for your stance, you would have offered it up instead of side stepping the question like a coward.
There we go!!! I was wondering how long it'd take until you called me names! You didn't disappoint me. When all else fails and your argument won't hold water, it must be because the other guy is a bigot. Yah..you showed your colors.
Quote:
What's funny is that I actually think less of you than had you stepped up and just said "hey, I hate gays and because of that I want to keep them from being happy" or something to that effect. It's one thing to be a bigot, it's another thing to be a coward bigot.
I don't hate gay people though.
Quote:
The right to have their marriages (since you claim they are free to get married) recognized the same way straight marriages are and as such, share in the benefits that result.

Let's see you side step that one.
They can get married. I've never said they can't. But do it within the bounds of the law--men marrying women, and women marrying men. They are free to marry someone of the opposite gender. I disagree with creating a special class of same-gender marriage.


Don't be such a hater, man. It's ok to disagree and not hate. I don't hate you, but I do find it sad you feel the need to throw out personal attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,708,392 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I disagree with creating a special class of same-gender marriage.

How would it be a special class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,048 posts, read 2,144,417 times
Reputation: 220
Bosco have you read any of my posts regarding the comparison with interracial marriage. I've explained how they are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,934 posts, read 19,163,377 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
There we go!!! I was wondering how long it'd take until you called me names! You didn't disappoint me. When all else fails and your argument won't hold water, it must be because the other guy is a bigot. Yah..you showed your colors.
That's not name calling, it's coming to a logical conclusion. I've given you repeated chances to prove me wrong and so far you've refused to do so.

Quote:
They can get married. I've never said they can't.
Actually, you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Their "marriage" is no more valid than 1 man and 6 women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Because they are not "marriages"? I've told you that a few times. People of the same gender can't get married and it's not a real marriage. If you want to go to Iowa, fine--they'll call it a marriage there. We don't call it marriage here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Because they don't meet the requirements? They aren't real marriages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Nobody can marry a person of the same gender.
All this just illustrates the utter hopelessness of your stance. Your started out with they "nothing is stopping them from getting married" crap but when I quit playing your game got on the recognition issue you ran out of steam, which is why we're seeing you dance around like a ballerina that just mainlined Red Bull.

You might think you're being cute, but all you've done is tank what little credibility you had left.

Quote:
I disagree with creating a special class of same-gender marriage.
I agree, and I've addressed this repeatedly. Extend the same benefits of heterosexual marriage to same sex marriage. Everyone, whether gay or straight, has their marriages and benefits recognized in the same exact way.

You tell me why that shouldn't happen.

Quote:
Don't be such a hater, man. It's ok to disagree and not hate. I don't hate you, but I do find it sad you feel the need to throw out personal attacks.
I don't hate you. Your bigotry is your issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 10:24 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,686,550 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's not name calling, it's coming to a logical conclusion. I've given you repeated chances to prove me wrong and so far you've refused to do so.

Actually, you have.









All this just illustrates the utter hopelessness of your stance. Your started out with they "nothing is stopping them from getting married" crap but when I quit playing your game got on the recognition issue you ran out of steam, which is why we're seeing you dance around like a ballerina that just mainlined Red Bull.

You might think you're being cute, but all you've done is tank what little credibility you had left.

I agree, and I've addressed this repeatedly. Extend the same benefits of heterosexual marriage to same sex marriage. Everyone, whether gay or straight, has their marriages and benefits recognized in the same exact way.

You tell me why that shouldn't happen.

I don't hate you. Your bigotry is your issue.

Whatever man. Tell me when you can make a logical argument without name-calling and personal attacks. I'm taking the high road and I'll just wait until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top