U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-22-2010, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,048 posts, read 2,143,981 times
Reputation: 220

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Time off to care for newborns or loved ones. I don't get it. They weren't allowed to do this before? How was the law written before? I hate such poorly written stories that don't explain what is gong on.

"Loved one" can mean anything. I love my neighbor, can I take off to take care of them? I don't get it. A newborn? What if a single girl at work just had a baby and I offer to help? Can I take off for that? I'm just confused I guess.

In any case, if the law was written saying if you are gay you don't get to take off work, then it was BS to begin with and should be tossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 4,200,896 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post

"Loved one" can mean anything. I love my neighbor, can I take off to take care of them? I don't get it. A newborn? What if a single girl at work just had a baby and I offer to help? Can I take off for that? I'm just confused I guess.
You know very well what they mean by "loved one". I'm sure you think God gave you a brain so use it.

If there are gay couples out there who have been together long term and have lives and families together and one of them gets sick and needs care, most places would not let them take off for medical leave because they wouldn't have any legal standing as a family unit because they aren't married.

I'd like to remind people that no one is fighting for "gay-marriage". We just want to be able to enter into marriage like everyone else but we are currently denied that right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 02:33 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,685,177 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
You know very well what they mean by "loved one". I'm sure you think God gave you a brain so use it.
You know full well that unless it's written down it'll be abused. Use the brain God gave you.
Quote:

If there are gay couples out there who have been together long term and have lives and families together and one of them gets sick and needs care, most places would not let them take off for medical leave because they wouldn't have any legal standing as a family unit because they aren't married.

I'd like to remind people that no one is fighting for "gay-marriage". We just want to be able to enter into marriage like everyone else but we are currently denied that right.
I'd like to remind people that you are asking for rights that I do not currently have. Why should you have that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,048 posts, read 2,143,981 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
You know very well what they mean by "loved one". I'm sure you think God gave you a brain so use it.

If there are gay couples out there who have been together long term and have lives and families together and one of them gets sick and needs care, most places would not let them take off for medical leave because they wouldn't have any legal standing as a family unit because they aren't married.

I'd like to remind people that no one is fighting for "gay-marriage". We just want to be able to enter into marriage like everyone else but we are currently denied that right.
Hey now. . I'm not the one that wrote the story. The vagueness of the law is the reason they are in this mess in the first place.

I still have no idea how their rules were worded. Did the rules say that you can only take off of work to care for a person that is your state recognized spouse? Or what?

How are the rules worded now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 4,200,896 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

I'd like to remind people that you are asking for rights that I do not currently have. Why should you have that right?
We both have the right to marry the person we want but no one got together and wrote legislation to deny you your right to marry. That's what happened to gay people.

Quote:
I still have no idea how their rules were worded. Did the rules say that you can only take off of work to care for a person that is your state recognized spouse? Or what?
Well it would clear a lot of things up if gay couples were somehow legally able to define what their families are. If only there was some sort of institution we could start where 2 people enter into an arrangement where it would be clear who their spouse is and not some vague references about "loved ones". If only...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,930 posts, read 19,157,183 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Well it would clear a lot of things up if gay couples were somehow legally able to define what their families are. If only there was some sort of institution we could start where 2 people enter into an arrangement where it would be clear who their spouse is and not some vague references about "loved ones". If only...
Exactly.

It won't be long though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,685,177 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
We both have the right to marry the person we want but no one got together and wrote legislation to deny you your right to marry. That's what happened to gay people.
Nobody is denying you any right to marry. You still have the exact same rights I do.
Quote:

Well it would clear a lot of things up if gay couples were somehow legally able to define what their families are. If only there was some sort of institution we could start where 2 people enter into an arrangement where it would be clear who their spouse is and not some vague references about "loved ones". If only...
So are hetero people going to legally define their own version of family? Let's be fair about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,048 posts, read 2,143,981 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
We both have the right to marry the person we want but no one got together and wrote legislation to deny you your right to marry. That's what happened to gay people.
Nobody sat down and denied your right to marry. They sat down and said these are the requiements to get state benefits. Some states have said gay marriage qualifies. Others states said only male female marriages qualify.

The common law rule of marriage is male female only. That means if the states do not specifiy it's assumed to by common law to be male female.

In order for any other types of marriage to be recognized the state has to make legislation to expand the benefits to include marriages not assumed under common law. Some states chose expand, others did not.

The states that did not wish to expand benefits to gay marriages decided to clarify their laws. Not change them, not take your right away. Simply clarify the definition that was already assumed from common law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 4,200,896 times
Reputation: 526
You must not remember or are ignoring the fact that most places didn't define marriage as a man and a woman until gay people started to enter into marriage and then homophobes across the country went out and enacted legislation defining marriage between male and female only. Gays aren't the ones who changed the definition of marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,685,177 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
You must not remember or are ignoring the fact that most places didn't define marriage as a man and a woman until gay people started to enter into marriage and then homophobes across the country went out and enacted legislation defining marriage between male and female only. Gays aren't the ones who changed the definition of marriage.

That's what "common law rule" means.

I know it's hard to understand when you've had it programmed into you that you're a victim...but honestly, it wasn't an issue until you guys started whining about not having special rules just for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top