Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:32 PM

119 posts, read 438,788 times

Advertisements

My best friend and her boyfriend are coming to visit over the Independence holiday. She grew up with me in Omaha (Millard actually), while he was only here for a few years in highschool and doesn't get what she thinks is so great about it now (they are both currently located in Austin, TX). She has promised to show him her favorite things in Omaha. Sadly, she only has a day or two to do it in...

One place I had to remind her about was Ted and Wally's. I don't make it out there much since I live in Bennington, but if I am in the area and am craving some ice cream, that is where I go! This weekend I tried Guinness flavored ice cream... like the beer. And it was good! I've never tried an odd flavor of ice cream before, so I didn't know what to expect. But it had a sweet cream kind of taste to it, and the finish had a hint of beer. So I just had to remind her that we need to hit up Ted and Wally's, because where else are you going to get Guinness flavored ice cream?

What would make your essential Omaha list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
The Zoo for one.

4th of July fireworks.

Maybe Venice Inn?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:55 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpandora View Post
My best friend and her boyfriend are coming to visit over the Independence holiday. She grew up with me in Omaha (Millard actually), while he was only here for a few years in highschool and doesn't get what she thinks is so great about it now (they are both currently located in Austin, TX). She has promised to show him her favorite things in Omaha. Sadly, she only has a day or two to do it in...

One place I had to remind her about was Ted and Wally's. I don't make it out there much since I live in Bennington, but if I am in the area and am craving some ice cream, that is where I go! This weekend I tried Guinness flavored ice cream... like the beer. And it was good! I've never tried an odd flavor of ice cream before, so I didn't know what to expect. But it had a sweet cream kind of taste to it, and the finish had a hint of beer. So I just had to remind her that we need to hit up Ted and Wally's, because where else are you going to get Guinness flavored ice cream?

What would make your essential Omaha list?
I'd say try to get him to some of the stuff along the river. Maybe even try to hit up The Old Market & Downtown, then be in the Con Agra Campus when it's time for the fireworks display. Bob the Walking Bridge might be a good one. Perhaps the Fontanelle Forest.

I'd suggest some restaurants, but that depends on people's individual tastes.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:04 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'd say try to get him to some of the stuff along the river. Maybe even try to hit up The Old Market & Downtown, then be in the Con Agra Campus when it's time for the fireworks display. Bob the Walking Bridge might be a good one. Perhaps the Fontanelle Forest.

BORING!!!!!!!!

Take them to a place that they will remember for a long time..... I suggest The Bullet Hole Shooting range in West Omaha.

YOu can rent a pistols and full auto guns. Now that is something they will have fun with and remember.

Then take them out and get a big steak At Johnny Steak House 168th and Dodge.

Just remember to lock you car.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
BORING!!!!!!!!

Take them to a place that they will remember for a long time..... I suggest The Bullet Hole Shooting range in West Omaha.

YOu can rent a pistols and full auto guns. Now that is something they will have fun with and remember.

Poke Poke. Stirring the pot.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Can you even get out of your car in that area of town? Are you crazy?

In all reality these are good choices. Check out the new stadium while you are down there. Maybe check out the farmers markets?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
BORING!!!!!!!!

The Bullet Hole is a good time. Johnny's is great if you want to pay a fortune for a kiddy portion. The food was good, but overpriced for the amount that you get. They must have forgot they are a restaurant in America, load that plate up suckers.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:56 PM

119 posts, read 438,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Poke Poke. Stirring the pot.
The comment from Happy Go Lucky was noted and ignored. No interest in that conversation starting again!

If we are talking steak, for my money the best steak I've had in Omaha was at the Drover. Its dark, out of date, the side dishes are pretty bad (stick with the baked potato!) but the Whiskey Filet was as good and tender as one I had in KC at Plaza II, a much fancier steakhouse. Unfortunately, at $30, it not any cheaper at the Drover. But its a far shorter drive!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpandora View Post
The comment from Happy Go Lucky was noted and ignored. No interest in that conversation starting again!

If we are talking steak, for my money the best steak I've had in Omaha was at the Drover. Its dark, out of date, the side dishes are pretty bad (stick with the baked potato!) but the Whiskey Filet was as good and tender as one I had in KC at Plaza II, a much fancier steakhouse. Unfortunately, at $30, it not any cheaper at the Drover. But its a far shorter drive!
I'm still trying to find a steak in town that can hold it's own against the ones I grill up at home. So far no luck. A couple of close ones, but at this point, I can't remember where the heck those were.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:54 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
You might want to stroll through Elmwood Park. The Durham Western Heritage Museum is interesting. The Durham Museum The Lauritzen Gardens is pretty cool, as is the Joslyn Art Museum.

It really does depend largely on what they're in to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: