U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 16,052 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Omaha from Chicago this fall for a job transfer. In my search for housing, I've run into many interesting and differing opinions.

Where would you say most of the single professionals in their 30s and 40s live in Omaha?

What are your thoughts on:
1. living downtown or near downtown. People keep telling me resale is not good and I should live in Dundee.

2. the Towns of Little Italy by Bluestone Developers?

3. Do you all have specific places that you would recommend? I've seen the rows at SoMa and Bebee Runyan along with the Towns.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Chi-town Girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,200,086 times
Unlike other people on this board I live Downtown so take what I say to heart.

It's great down here. Pretty much everyone is single. There are empty nester couples but more often than not it's singles.

Whoever told you resale value is bad doesn't know what they're talking about. Just the price on my place alone has gone up $15,000 in 5 months. The second place I bought down here is also going up in price and it's in the less happening part of Downtown. Also the city is planning on putting in a streetcar system down here that will make property down here really skyrocket.

Here are some pics I took on a recent condo tour Downtown. I'd recomend Beebe and Runyan if it's not sold. Also if youre interested in Soma a friend of mine is selling his place there. I can get you in contact if you want.

Starting out at the jLofts

Looking down Jackson Street

From 1101 Jackson

Overlooking the Farmer's Market

Looking at the Old Market Lofts from 1101 Jackson. Soma and the Postal Annex lofts in background.

The Kimball Laundry Building

Kimball Model

Kimball View from a dirty window

From 1600 Farnam

From 1600 looking over the Gene Leahy Mall

Looking over the Securities (Apt) building, Paxton (condos), and the Landmark Center.

Looking over Redick Hotel, Orpheum Theater, and the Old Market.

The Old Market

The Omaha building from 1600 Farnam

The Woodmen Tower and Omaha Building

Looking over North DT.
Site of the Slowdown residential/commercial project.

Looking over to the Central Park Plaza, Union Pacific Center, and future site
of the U/C Wallstreet Tower. The new 32 story condo tower will be Omaha's 3rd tallest.

From 902 Dodge. I work part-time here in the bar/deli on the first floor

http://www.rorickim.com/CondoTour19.JPG (broken link)

http://www.rorickim.com/CondoTour03.JPG (broken link)

Looking south towards the Towns at Little Italy.

From 902
Overlooking Riverfront Place, Gallup University, US Park HQ, and the U/C Pedestrian Bridge

http://www.rorickim.com/CondoTour02.JPG (broken link)

From Riverfront Place

Pedestrian Bridge construction from Riverfont Place Tower 1

The Missouri River

Model

Looking over the townhomes

Downtown View from Riverftont Place

The Towns at Little Italy

Inside

View from the Towns. Western Heritage Museum in foreground

The Old Market Lofts and Ford Lofts

The Soma Townhomes

Rooftop views from Soma

Union Pacific and the Landmark Center over the Old Market

Looking at my house and workplace

The whole view

http://www.rorickim.com/CondoTour10.JPG (broken link)

http://www.rorickim.com/CondoTour09.JPG (broken link)

Finishing up the tour with lunch in the Old Market
at the Upstream Brewery

Tasty

Old 07-06-2009, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 23,997 times
The pictures in the previous posting say it all. I live downtown, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I am not a "Family" person. Seeing children running about would drive me insane. If you are going to live in Omaha, and do not have the "Midwest" midset...(The "get married/fear god/procreate" idea)...The only place to be is Old Market.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 AM

704 posts, read 1,617,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherxoxoxo View Post
The pictures in the previous posting say it all. I live downtown, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I am not a "Family" person. Seeing children running about would drive me insane. If you are going to live in Omaha, and do not have the "Midwest" midset...(The "get married/fear god/procreate" idea)...The only place to be is Old Market.

I got married and procreated but most ceratinly do not fear God. I like living in a more residential area of Omaha because I like to have a yard and an easy place to let the dogs go to the bathroom. If I were single or didn't have kids I would like to live downtown but for right now I like my tree lined neighborhood. Don't get me wrong though I really wouldn't like to live out in Millard, or anywhere west of 680 for that matter. Things get a little creepy out there. I'm reminded of the Ben Folds song, "Jesusland".

Just thought you should should know there are some folks who aren't *Puppets for Jesus* in points west of Midtown.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM

9 posts, read 36,654 times
I would also recommend Midtown, by the Mutual of Omaha development. I'm sure someone else on this tread could give more detail into that.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:38 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,067 times
How do things get "Creepy out here?"

Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
How do things get "Creepy out here?"
Google the Lyrics to Jesusland. It's not really that bad, just a lot of really big houses and more and more land being turned into pavement and lawns. Oh, and lots of Republicans out there.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 23,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I got married and procreated but most ceratinly do not fear God. I like living in a more residential area of Omaha because I like to have a yard and an easy place to let the dogs go to the bathroom. If I were single or didn't have kids I would like to live downtown but for right now I like my tree lined neighborhood. Don't get me wrong though I really wouldn't like to live out in Millard, or anywhere west of 680 for that matter. Things get a little creepy out there. I'm reminded of the Ben Folds song, "Jesusland".

Just thought you should should know there are some folks who aren't *Puppets for Jesus* in points west of Midtown.

Rock on...Good to meet the other Atheist in NE :-)

Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherxoxoxo View Post
Rock on...Good to meet the other Atheist in NE :-)

That's correct my wife and I are the only other ones...

Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,200,086 times
Me too. Actually most of my friends are solidly in the the anti theist camp. There are more than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or