Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:48 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,119 times

Advertisements

I have never had more of a desire to leave Omaha than now. Why are so many people getting shot? Why are there so many drive by's? Why are civilians shotting would be robbers in Walgreens Pharmacy's? I don't even turn on the evening news anymore. Every time I do, someone is shot, stabbed, kidnapped or bit by a pit bull. What is going on in our town?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,292 times
People are crazy. . And not just in Omaha.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,613,939 times
People are basically evil.

You'd expect that from my username, though.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:14 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
I have never had more of a desire to leave Omaha than now. Why are so many people getting shot? Why are there so many drive by's? Why are civilians shotting would be robbers in Walgreens Pharmacy's? I don't even turn on the evening news anymore. Every time I do, someone is shot, stabbed, kidnapped or bit by a pit bull. What is going on in our town?????
The number of people being shot hasn't actually increased much from the past. As a matter of fact, the number of murders in our city is growing proportionately with our population.
The crime rate fear is a new social norm in Omaha, but we are still a safe city for violent crime and murders.
Article on how 2008 had a spike of 44 murders, and in 2009 it had dropped to just 30.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100112/NEWS01/701129911

Old 05-07-2010, 12:42 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,247 times
Omaha isn't nearly as bad as South Tucson. Be thankful you live where you do and not somewhere worse. This isn't to say there isn't room for improvement, but always have a gauge on reality.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 PM

737 posts, read 1,915,782 times
If folks in north O would behave we would live in a pretty decent town.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:13 AM

175 posts, read 441,605 times
Agreed, most of the time when you hear about these shootings its in North O.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
If folks in north O would behave we would live in a pretty decent town.
Actually, almost 100% of the crime in North Omaha has to do with gangs & drugs.

The fact is, people from West Omaha & Millard are driving in to North O to buy drugs then retail them in the Millard Schools. The North O Gangs are fighting for turf and wholesale "rights."

It is also an extremely small number of people who are doing all this shooting, and getting shot at.

Yet another "victim" of a North O shooting is 33-year old Larry Sauls. This is the second time in a week he has been shot at. Are we supposed to be stupid enough to think that this is just random? He knows who is shooting at him. No question.

Earlier this week, two guys were shot at in the morning, while sitting in front of their house on about 48th & Curtis. Neither was hit. Are we suppose to be stupid enough to think that this is just random? Also, are we supposed to believe that these two don't know who it is who was shooting at them? They are eye witnesses!

None of this is random. Rank & file neighborhood people are not in any way at risk. But until things start getting cleaned up from the inside this will not stop.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:03 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
it is difficult to believe the insane acts of violence. nebraska it always seemed to me the centre of the heartland.
in my own short lifetime all this has occurred. you can trace the runaway violence directly to
the justice system. self defense has been outlawed. personal injury law suits while commiting a crime should have never been allowed in our court system. those that defend themselves are usually punished in criminal or civil court after an expensive legal battle, the sky is crying. the law has become itself an evil. all those attacking the community would have been shot dead b4 they ever were arrested 50 years ago. civil rights have become uncivil evil.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:17 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
Not all shootings are bad. The recent incident in the Walgreen's store is an example of a GOOD shooting. In that incident a thug was threatening others with a shotgun. A fellow waiting in line drew his handgun and shot the perpetrator and killed him. ONE CRIMINAL DEAD! No innocents hurt. That is a good thing. Unless you are considering a career as an armed robber why would you object to law abiding civilians protecting their self?

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha