U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:12 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,102,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
Enough to have a stellar reception! It is going to be one awesome party. We decided to go with the Shriner place on 84th because they let you bring your own caterer and part of the money goes to help fund the hospital.
Sounds like a win-win situation. Way to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 01:41 PM

119 posts, read 385,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazazoom View Post
I am getting married in Omaha next spring or summer. I am looking for unique venues to hold a reception and curious if anyone has attended an event at the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts or the Jackson Street Art Gallery? If so could you please provide pictures of the event and a review of the space.

I am also considering having the reception at Joslyn Art Museum, however wanted to look at all the options before I made a decision.

In addition, I am looking for an old historical church to get married in. I am catholic, however my fiance would prefer to get married in a non-denominational church. Right now, we are looking at the First Unitarian Church but are open to other suggestions.

My fiance and I live in another state, so any input or ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
It sounds like you want a wedding very similar to what I wanted. I will say that it mayl be a challenge to find a church in Omaha to marry you if you are not a member. My first choice was St. Francis Cabrini - not as 'glamorus' as St. Cecilia's or St. John's, but it had importance to me as it was the church many of my Sicilian ancestors were married in (early 1900s), back when it was still called St. Philomena. The pastor there was unwilling to devote the time on pre-marital counseling when we had no intentions of belonging to the parish (I was honest with him when he asked, that it was unlikely I'd ever attend since we lived on the other side of town). He was, however, willing to allow another catholic pastor to marry us in his church. We found a deacon from a bigger church that was willing to perform the ceremony (that is, after we joined that church). However the dates did not work out...

We also looked into that Unitarian church but I think I remember it being rather pricey as a non-member... or it may have been another non-denomintational.

Ultimately, we decided to get married in an art gallery. Artists Cooperative Gallery ended up being our choice. The best part was that its a non-profit gallery, so we were able to rent it for a donation of any amount (we gave $300). I would imagine this would be a nice place for a reception as well, as you don't have to do much decorating!

Our reception was at the Old Mattress Factory, which was fabulous.

I'll also recommend you look into Omaha Hot Shops gallery for your event.

You can read my reviews of my venues, and probably view others in Omaha on Wedding Mapper.com Michele and Patrick 's Wedding, October, 2009, Omaha - Wedding Mapper

If you want to see pictures of our reception or ceremony please message me with your email and I'll send you a few.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM

One thing has always puzzled me - and this is not about the OP or anyone who has posted on this thread...

Why do non-religious people often feel that it's so important to get "married in a church"? That really makes no sense to me. Is it suspicion - thinking that being married there might magically make their marriage sacred or something? More blessed?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:50 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,137,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
One thing has always puzzled me - and this is not about the OP or anyone who has posted on this thread...

Why do non-religious people often feel that it's so important to get "married in a church"? That really makes no sense to me. Is it suspicion - thinking that being married there might magically make their marriage sacred or something? More blessed?
Probably not as much suspicion as much as it is they just want their pictures to be in a church instead of at the court house. They could get married in the park or something, but it might be hard to get a JP to the park.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:51 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Quote:

I have always wondered that, as well. Again--no offense to the OP or anyone, but I know a person that is non-religious...doesn't attend church, nothing. But she had both her kids baptized in a friend's church. I don't get that. Why? There is no pretense of religiosity in any other area of their life, why do people get religious at certain times, but not others?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I have always wondered that, as well. Again--no offense to the OP or anyone, but I know a person that is non-religious...doesn't attend church, nothing. But she had both her kids baptized in a friend's church. I don't get that. Why? There is no pretense of religiosity in any other area of their life, why do people get religious at certain times, but not others?
Exactly.

Maybe it's suspicion. Maybe deep-down they DO believe, but just don't want to admit it, because it might require something of them.

I guess I can understand somebody wanting to be married in a gorgeous old church, simply for the beauty of the building - much like getting married in a really cool setting like Lauritzen Gardens. Years ago my wife sang for a good friend's wedding that was held at a stunningly gorgeous Episcopalian Church in Des Moines. Massive walnut woodwork & trim. Just beautiful. But even then it seemed odd, because the girl had absolutely no connection at all to that church.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 56,896 times
Henry Doorly Zoo. You said unique. The rainforest and walk-through aquarium are amazing!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderacoustic View Post
Henry Doorly Zoo. You said unique. The rainforest and walk-through aquarium are amazing!
Do they rent out for weddings?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Quote:
Do they rent out for weddings?

I'd be surprised if they don't. If not, they should--probably be a good source of income for them.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,137,915 times
Nothing like monkeys flinging poo at your guests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or