Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:19 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,511,546 times

Advertisements

I btw hope they put one at Baker Plaza at 50th and ames.

Hy-Vee or Bag N save or No Frills to replace the former and still empty Bakers building would be nice (hint, hint)

================================================

More smiles in more aisles
By John Keenan
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
« MoneyRSS SHARE

The curtain rose Tuesday on Hy-Vee's newest supermarket in Omaha near 144th Street and Stoney Brook Boulevard, which replaces an older store south of Oak View Mall that closed last weekend.

Eric Ruiz was among the approximately 200 full- and part-time employees of the old Hy-Vee who transferred to the new store about 2 miles away.

“This store is way nicer,” Ruiz said last week, pausing momentarily from labeling spices in the health food section and looking around the supermarket, which is 20,000 feet larger than the Oak View location. “It should be pretty exciting for people coming in to see how the new store looks.”

Hy-Vee President Ric Jurgens and other corporate officers visited the location last week to inspect the store and address employees in a sort of pre-opening pep rally that is a company tradition. Hy-Vee hired approximately 200 additional workers to staff the new, larger store.

Hy-Vee CEO Ric Jurgens said the company is investing “tens of millions of dollars in the Omaha market. We believe in Omaha. We're at home in Omaha.”

» At 108th and Fort Streets, remodeling is under way to add a wine and spirits store.

» At 96th and Q Streets, a wine and spirits store is set to open this week.

» At 132nd Street and West Dodge Road, the store is being expanded.With the shift of the store location, Hy-Vee maintains 15 stores in the metro area: 10 supermarkets and one drugstore in Omaha; one supermarket in Papillion; and two supermarkets and a drugstore in Council Bluffs. The company also plans to start building a store at 180th and Pacific Streets later this year.

“When we feel a void, that's when we look for additional stores,” Jurgens said. “In the case of the Oak View store, we just weren't able to do what we wanted to there, in terms of facility and other factors.”

The new location should work for established customers of the Oak View store, which was 17 years old, while drawing new shoppers, he said.

“We're on what we describe as a ‘hard corner' here, as opposed to tucked into a shopping area,” Jurgens said.

The location's advantages include a “tremendous traffic pattern,” access to homeowners nearby and proximity to a major street.

“It's just a very good retail location,” he said.

The new store features an on-staff dietitian, two chefs, a medical clinic and new departments, including one for sushi.

“There's considerably more variety throughout the whole store,” said Pat Hensley, assistant vice president of operations. “When you have a bigger footprint, there are a lot more items to offer, so I think the customers will enjoy that.”

The new building also features a “club room,” in which Hy-Vee will hold cooking classes as well as make available to customers for meetings and parties. Catering manager Jill Volpi is christening the room with 10 weekly “tours” of America's best food cities.

Hy-Vee's first store in the Omaha metro opened in Council Bluffs in September 1978, with the first Omaha store following about a year later.

The chain came into the market in a big way in 1982, when it purchased seven former Safeway stores. At the time, the metro area's major supermarket companies included Hinky Dinky, Albertson's and Baker's.

Today, Hy-Vee's major competition includes Bag ‘N Save, No-Frills and Baker's, as well superstore chains Target and Walmart.

Hy-Vee, which is based in Des Moines, has more than 56,000 employees and annual sales exceeding $6.4 billion. It operates more than 228 retail stores across eight Midwestern states and ranks among the top 30 supermarket chains in the nation.

Jurgens said the new Omaha store exemplifies “how much we value being part of this market.” The 84,500-square-foot building, land, equipment and inventory represents a $21 million investment in the community, he said.

“We're an employee-owned company,'' he said, “and we don't spend money like that casually.”

Jurgens said the Omaha-Council Bluffs market is important to him. As a new district manager in the early 1980s, one of his first jobs was to help open the store at 51st and Center Streets.

“I was here in the very early days, when it was only a dream to our company,” he said. “So I take great pride in being a part of every store opening that we have over here, because it's a testament to the hard work that all of those people have done for 30 years now, to help Hy-Vee survive and be a part of this community.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
I never understood the hype about Hy-Vee. I always preferred Kroger or Price Chopper myself. For regional grocery stores Hannafords blows anything in the Midwest out of the water.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 PM

123 posts, read 407,388 times
I agree with GraniteStater.

Hy-Vee is lame. Their prices suck and their produce and meat is not that great. I once bought some fresh ground beef from the Hy-Vee meat department and cooked it up and it was one of the most tasteless burgers I've ever made.

There are people who want better things for this state and one of those things would be less Hy-Vee's and more competition. I'd rather get groceries at Wal-Mart than Hy-Vee, so that's saying a lot. Why can't Nebraska have good grocery stores? I don't like the concept of Bag-N-Save and Supersaver but I can't stand the outrageous prices of Hy-Vee either. There's not much inbetween. Please give us a Kroger.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 PM

262 posts, read 1,021,036 times
Omaha has Baker's which is owned by Kroger...and I doubt there is much of a difference other than branding.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
HyVee is never going to build on 50th & Ames. Just ain't gonna happen. Among other things, the Bakers at 72nd & Ames is too close.

We've got a Bakers Plus Card, that actually saves a LOT of money on groceries. Other than that, if we want to hit up some cheap groceries, we go to the new ALDIs on 30th & Sorensen Parkway.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,460,409 times
Bakers sucks so bad. Sometimes stuff is cheaper, but it seems like the only way to get anything at a normal price you need that Plus Card. I hate having to be a "member" of someplace to avoid getting ripped off. Without that dumb card their stuff is just stupid expensive. Plus, the way they arrange their stores is insane. Why are there 3 seperate sections of the store with refrigerated and frozen goods? Put them together, so I don't have to guess which section the cheese is in, because I never get it right the first time.

HyVee is good on a lot of things. Their Hot Deals are nice and you don't need a Plus card to save money. But you have to watch out, sometimes they are more expensive.

Walmart is close and cheap on most things, but going there is always more stressful than it should be.

ALDI is cheap for sure, good if you are on a really tight budget. ALDI claims that their products are the exact same as name brand, but just packaged differently. Mostly made by the same companies. If that's true, then that's cool. I'm not sure why I don't shop there actually. I can only imagine some of the interesting people that probably frequent the one on 90th .

Old 05-20-2010, 08:47 PM

152 posts, read 363,606 times
Breakfast at Hy-Vee is a real treat! They do have good specials - but the regular prices arent that great.

Bag-N-Save -- is no longer a low priced store in my opinion. When they took over the vacated Albertson's they had to raise prices to make the expensive leases.

No-Frills and Bakers ROCK-ON!!! Especially when Flat-Iron steaks are 3.99 a pound. The plus-card gets you gas discounts - if you ever forget your card just have them swipe a spare card and you can get the discount.

ALDI is my favorite - you can save .75 to 2.00 on almost every item you buy there. Of course you have to stick to things that you don't have brand preferences for.

Walmart is great for price matching - -but their meat department is horrible.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,953,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
HyVee is never going to build on 50th & Ames. Just ain't gonna happen. Among other things, the Bakers at 72nd & Ames is too close.
Plus Super Saver already failed at that location.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,528,245 times
I like Hy-Vee and can't stand Baker's. Their stupid value card pricing pisses me off. I don't want to be forced to have one just so they can get my information and keep tabs on what I purchase. I'd rather a store just put things on sale.

I generally get meat and produce at Hy-Vee and some other stuff at Super Target, where it's generally cheaper. I shop at the Papillion Hy-Vee and the employees there are so friendly and helpful it's almost disturbing. LOL I am rarely in a worse mood by the time I leave the store, which for my blood pressure is sometimes worth paying a little more.

I live right behind a Baker's and will drive four miles down the road to shop at Hy-Vee.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
^^ Actually I don't mind using the Bakers Plus Card. I do a lot of stuff online, and it's pretty easy to save some big bucks that way. I often stock up when their bags of frozen veggies are on sale for 88 cents, or pork tenderloin goes on sale for 99 cents per pound.

Also, I just filled up our van for $2.53 per gallon, because we had saved up "Baker Bucks" or whatever they're called.

All in all, I'm okay with Bakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: