Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 13,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
The South Coast Metro area, though, is mostly apartment complexes. So is Tustin Ranch, for that matter, unless you want to pay $3,000/mo to rent out a single family unit. This is the reason I haven't suggested Newport Beach. If you don't want to live in a big apartment complex, prepare to shell out some $$$. Otherwise, Newport should be to your liking.
Thank you - I appreciate it. Yeah, the more I learn about living down in Southern California, the more I realize it'll be quite a shock to my system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 AM

214 posts, read 650,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
The South Coast Metro area, though, is mostly apartment complexes. So is Tustin Ranch, for that matter, unless you want to pay $3,000/mo to rent out a single family unit. This is the reason I haven't suggested Newport Beach. If you don't want to live in a big apartment complex, prepare to shell out some $$$. Otherwise, Newport should be to your liking.
Not really, you can find private condo rentals that are larger than the Irvine Company apartments for about the same price in Irvine.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 AM

214 posts, read 650,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensLauren View Post
Thank you so much! That helps a lot!

We'd rather stay away from apartment complexes. Usually there is better construction on complexes not built specifically for rental purposes (not as loud, nicer appliances, more pride in one's space, etc) and they feel more homey.
No problem at all. I work with renters as well as buyers and sellers because the better private rentals are listed on MLS versus on craigslist. You are correct about apartment complexes, the quality of the construction compared to private condo/townhouses is worse (thinner walls and cheaper upgrades).

When in August are you guys looking to make the move here? If you PM me with your e-mail address and your basis search parameters (price, sf, bedrooms, etc), I can e-mail you all the active rental listings on MLS that hit the mark.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanCPA View Post
Not really, you can find private condo rentals that are larger than the Irvine Company apartments for about the same price in Irvine.
True, for Irvine. But I was referring specifically to Tustin Ranch, which seems to be made up entirely of: 1. a golf course, 2. half of the Marketplace, 3. Irvine Co. apartments, and 4. gated McMansion communities

Old 07-03-2010, 09:17 PM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times
Moving from downtown Portland to anywhere in Orange County is going to be culture shock. You're just not going to find anything comparable. The closest that you'll get to a neighborhood where you are in walking distance to cafes, pubs, restaurants, etc and also a neighborhood that has some character to it is Laguna Beach or downtown Huntington Beach. They both have older, quaint housing, somewhat compact downtowns, easy to walk or bike, with lots of places to eat. The downside is that both are extremely expensive. They are predominately single family homes, and while no doubt you can find one to rent, prices are probably triple what you would pay in Portland.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:21 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,559 times
If you're going to visit first and look around, you might like the area in Costa mesa/Newport Beach around 17th street. 17th is not really a big downtown street, but it has plenty of restaurants and stores. If I'm reading you right, you might find something in there that suits you and shouldn't cost arm and leg in rent.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,137 times
A couple people before me have recommended Eastside Costa Mesa, and I agree you may want to look into it. That's the area east of Newport Blvd and the 55 freeway, and west of the Back Bay. The neighborhood is a mix of small apartment buildings and older single family homes. Rents are steep but nowhere near $4000 for a 2-bedroom. It is centrally located in coastal Orange County and has some character and walkability depending on what part of the neighborhood you choose. It lacks the "prefab" feel common to some other parts of OC. My wife and I are around your age and moved here last summer from San Francisco. We live not too far from the main commercial strip, 17th Street. Most of what we need is a walk, bike ride, or very short drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County