Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,995,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCali View Post
There is a beautiful restaurant in Anaheim called The White House. The owner makes 300 pasta dinners for the motel children every single evening. What a wonderful man.
Great restaurant! I had no idea he did that. Bravo for him.

There's also La Casa Garcia in Anaheim. The owner there has been serving free Thanksgiving dinner to hundreds of people for years and years. He sets up tables in his parking lot and welcomes anyone who needs a meal and/or a little companionship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,943,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I thought this documentary would be of interest to some of you on this forum. Since OC is so often shed in a positive "rich and wealthy" light, this documentary follows families in the service industry who can't even afford rent and live in motels.

HBO: Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County: Interview

Alexandra Pelosi tells untold story of homelessness in 'Motel Kids of Orange County' on HBO

The shows airs tonight on HBO.
I wouldn't waste my time watching any content from Alexandra Pelosi ... pure crap!

Old 04-26-2011, 03:45 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,356,279 times
I think that they live wherever they can. When we first moved to Santa Ana there was a fmaily living in a large tree in a parking lot. They had put some pallets in the branches for sleeping areas and they even had a couch up there.

In a nerby park there was a homeless guy who had found an electrical outlet for the sprinklers or something, anyway he had a TV in a shopping cart, he would wheel it up plug it in and all of the locals would collect around the cart to watch TV at night. Some families live in culverts during the dry season. It is very much like a cave and they have a small fire back inside th cook and stay warm. We met some young austrailians living in a tent on the roof of a bar in Balboa. Another guy woudl sneak into rarely used boats in newport harbor and live in relative luxury. Some of those boats sit for years and no one ever looks at them. I also met some people living up in the hills in Cleveland National Forest. THey hd a nice little campsite with a building that was half tent/half cabin. The dug a pit for an outhouse and had water tanks, all kinds of things. No way to know that they were there unless you were off the trail and lost. They were very cordial and helped me find my way back to my car.

People are inventive and creative. They find lots of places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County