Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:58 AM

286 posts, read 639,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My original answer addressed your question... evacuation of OC during a time of natural disaster will take place on the existing roads, assuming the disaster isn't the type that destroys roads. If that happens, nobody leaves.

For some reason, you chose to take offense to my answer. That's not my problem, it's yours. Maybe next time I should include a bunch of smiley faces and glittering butterflies so you don't get all butthurt.
I didn't take offence but it was a SA answer either that or you didn't have an interest in giving a quality response. No worries.

The only major road out of the OC would be the 5 fwy south. Everyone trying to get out that way or through Riverside County would take 10+ hours or more IMO... I just don't see it happening.

Most would be trapped there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 10:03 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
Why can't we have regular commuter flights between Riverside County and John Wayne Airport? Murrieta has French Valley airport, probably five to ten minutes away by air.

Big advantage - just need to buy a couple planes, no mountains to dig through, no roads or tracks to build. With a small fuel efficient plane, the costs to the passengers should be no more than what Metrolink would cost.

Why can't we do this?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Why can't we have regular commuter flights between Riverside County and John Wayne Airport? Murrieta has French Valley airport, probably five to ten minutes away by air.

Big advantage - just need to buy a couple planes, no mountains to dig through, no roads or tracks to build. With a small fuel efficient plane, the costs to the passengers should be no more than what Metrolink would cost.

Why can't we do this?

How are you going to get to work from the airport? People won't do this as they will lose their independence IMO...

Old 08-08-2010, 10:18 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post

Why can't we do this?
Insufficient demand. French Valley Airport? It's not located close to most of the Riverside County population, stuck way down there east of Murrieta - it's 40 miles from the city of Riverside and Moreno Valley. And access from the north via Highway 79 is out of the way, and by either I-15 or I-215 you have to go further south, then come back north. It's inconveniently located every which way.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:28 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Evacuation? You could ask the same question about any city in the country. There's only so many roads in an out of anywhere. Besides, what kind of disaster would require all of OC to be evacuated that wouldn't also affect neighboring counties?

Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Evacuation? You could ask the same question about any city in the country. There's only so many roads in an out of anywhere. Besides, what kind of disaster would require all of OC to be evacuated that wouldn't also affect neighboring counties?
Well, of course there's all kinds of crazy scenarios that could be conjured up but in the end, the real jest of this thread appears answered and it doesn't look like anything short of a miracle would change the situation between Riverside and Orange counties (along the 91 fwy).

So, with that info in hand we need to make a decision. We have no ability to buy a home in Orange county, we just don't have that money. We think it's crazy to pay HOA fees for a Condo/Townhome in Orange County. That much money going out every month is nuts (In our opinion).

So.. Rent in OC or buy in Riverside county??

Since we have a child we need to think about schools.

This is going to be a tough one.

BTW, we're living in Florida now.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
Well, of course there's all kinds of crazy scenarios that could be conjured up but in the end, the real jest of this thread appears answered and it doesn't look like anything short of a miracle would change the situation between Riverside and Orange counties (along the 91 fwy).

So, with that info in hand we need to make a decision. We have no ability to buy a home in Orange county, we just don't have that money. We think it's crazy to pay HOA fees for a Condo/Townhome in Orange County. That much money going out every month is nuts (In our opinion).

So.. Rent in OC or buy in Riverside county??

Since we have a child we need to think about schools.

This is going to be a tough one.

BTW, we're living in Florida now.
There's plenty of cities in the US that have affordable housing costs without the hellish commute living in the IE would require. I would absolutely not make that commute no matter how much you paid me. Why Orange County? This is a place for the wealthy unless you don't mind being a life long apartment renter.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
There's plenty of cities in the US that have affordable housing costs without the hellish commute living in the IE would require. I would absolutely not make that commute no matter how much you paid me. Why Orange County? This is a place for the wealthy unless you don't mind being a life long apartment renter.
Right, well think about this. I recently bought a 1600 square foot house on 5 wooded acres in Florida for 110k (house built in 84). However there is no culture here, it's dead. My wife is Chinese and there are few here where we live.

I lived in Socal for 6 years from 2000 to 2006 and have a crap load of friends there.

So, with friends, Chinese sources of interaction (ranch 99, and other such sources) we have our heart set on moving there.

It's about quality of life.

BTW, are you trying to get out? (based on your screen name)..

Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Just rent a house in OC. If you find that right lpace and like it, many owner will be happy to rent to you indefineitely. We rented one house for five years and the owner begged us to stay when we decided to leve (we bought a house).

this may be a really good time to buy. However other good times to buy will likley come in the future. We got all antsy to buy when the market fell in late 1980s - early 1990s, because everyone said it was our only chance to get in. We waited because we had to wait. It dropped even more in 1995. The market cycles.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
Right, well think about this. I recently bought a 1600 square foot house on 5 wooded acres in Florida for 110k (house built in 84). However there is no culture here, it's dead. My wife is Chinese and there are few here where we live.

I lived in Socal for 6 years from 2000 to 2006 and have a crap load of friends there.

So, with friends, Chinese sources of interaction (ranch 99, and other such sources) we have our heart set on moving there.

It's about quality of life.

BTW, are you trying to get out? (based on your screen name)..
My wife's Chinese too but she was born here. Give her an Asian market of some kind for the occasional trip and she's good. That can be found in any big city. It sounds like you're out in the sticks. Yes, we're planning our escape because we too have given up on ever being able to afford a house here that's not in the hood, NOT a condo, and NOT in the IE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County