Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 07:08 PM

203 posts, read 561,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
$100k is pretty low compared to what many people in OC are making. But on the other hand, living here on $100k isn't completely impossible like it would be in NYC or comparably priced cities.
you can do NYC on $100k. You don't need a car, better places to eat, and it is not cultural void.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
you can do NYC on $100k. You don't need a car, better places to eat, and it is not cultural void.
People do not go to OC for the culture. Similarly, people do not go to New York for the weather, beaches or mountains.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 AM

111 posts, read 226,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
The "culture" thing is laughable, it's basically a claim for liberals to make themselves feel better and superior to everyone else.

I find it amusing that one New Yorker after another comes on here to bash OC and they always bring up "culture" when in reality the average New Yorker is not cultured at all and their life's experience is eating pizza & bagels and hanging out on a street corner.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:43 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
The "culture" thing is laughable, it's basically a claim for liberals to make themselves feel better and superior to everyone else.

I find it amusing that one New Yorker after another comes on here to bash OC and they always bring up "culture" when in reality the average New Yorker is not cultured at all and their life's experience is eating pizza & bagels and hanging out on a street corner.
I think what New Yorkers mean is there is a better chance to hang out with entirely different people(cultures) and learn from it in NYC, OC is pretty limited since everyone from different cultures seem to hang with their own.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:34 AM

110 posts, read 439,956 times
"The "culture" thing is laughable, it's basically a claim for liberals to make themselves feel better and superior to everyone else."

Oh my god! Are you saying there is NOT more culture in NYC? It's just a ruse so "liberals" can feel better than you? So, there is no chance that people actually like to live around culture? OC is not void of culture, but it's got maybe 1/100th the culture.

You can (and I have) live in NYC for well under $100K a year. I'm sure you can live in OC for under $100K a year (I'm trying that now). If I had to pick a place to live if I made well over $100k it would be NYC in a heart beat. Give my kids the museums, parks, music, theater and everything else...I'll let them decide if they want any of that or to "hang on a corner with a bagel". Thanks for securing my belief that a lot of people in OC are closed minded.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
One word...priorities.

What are your priorities? Mine are walking or running on the beach every morning and pursuing my passions related to my life purpose.

Priorities determine how you live your life. Priorities determine how you spend your money. One of the ways you spend your money is on housing.

Everyone has different priorities.

Also, what is paradise for one as far as where to live may be hell for another.

But, that is what makes the world go 'round.

I see my priorities as a form of energy. In both physics and metaphysics, there is the idea that everything, including thoughts and feelings are a form of energy. Energy follows intention. Intention and priorities seem similar to me.

My intention is to enjoy life in my own way and help as many people along the way. I don't have an intention to live in area x or drive a certain brand of car. But, it's okay with me if people enjoy a nice house and car...And, make a lot of money. Good for them--it just shows that I can have it to if I want...

But, for me a definition of wealth includes my own health, happiness, and also being of service to others. I have "wealth" returned to me manyfold daily by others' gratitude and sharing their love with me.

So, you'll find me one day with my husband living in a small condo or house in Orange County and then, Hawaii. We're reducing our possessions by 50 percent so we don't need a big home. We don't have children so our priorities are a bit different. We were smart with our money in our 20's and our mortgage is almost paid off. For us, it's all about traveling, surfing, biking, listening to live music as much as possible, and helping people in our chosen professions. Life is good. But, it is my intention to have a good life. I've found it is even better when I don't judge others' choices, incomes, or lifestyles...or priorities.

Each segment of the human race has its own "culture" if you will. Who's to say one is better than the next one? I think you always find your own culture or social group no matter where you live. I hang in several in Detroit, Michigan. I know similar folks with similar interests exist wherever I decided to live in the future...

And, I don't know...I prefer to just see the loving aspects of people. Underneath it all, it can be argued that as humans we want to enjoy similar things--love, fun, adventure, and the gifts of following our purpose. It's just that the forms are different for everyone. For some, it's living in Orange County with 2.5 kids in a nice house and having nice things and vehicles. For others in the world, having electricity is a big deal...or who knows? Maybe even food is a luxury for some in the world.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:35 PM

12 posts, read 37,549 times
Default Brilliantly stated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
One word...priorities.

What are your priorities? Mine are walking or running on the beach every morning and pursuing my passions related to my life purpose.

Priorities determine how you live your life. Priorities determine how you spend your money. One of the ways you spend your money is on housing.

Everyone has different priorities.

Also, what is paradise for one as far as where to live may be hell for another.

But, that is what makes the world go 'round.

I see my priorities as a form of energy. In both physics and metaphysics, there is the idea that everything, including thoughts and feelings are a form of energy. Energy follows intention. Intention and priorities seem similar to me.

My intention is to enjoy life in my own way and help as many people along the way. I don't have an intention to live in area x or drive a certain brand of car. But, it's okay with me if people enjoy a nice house and car...And, make a lot of money. Good for them--it just shows that I can have it to if I want...

But, for me a definition of wealth includes my own health, happiness, and also being of service to others. I have "wealth" returned to me manyfold daily by others' gratitude and sharing their love with me.

So, you'll find me one day with my husband living in a small condo or house in Orange County and then, Hawaii. We're reducing our possessions by 50 percent so we don't need a big home. We don't have children so our priorities are a bit different. We were smart with our money in our 20's and our mortgage is almost paid off. For us, it's all about traveling, surfing, biking, listening to live music as much as possible, and helping people in our chosen professions. Life is good. But, it is my intention to have a good life. I've found it is even better when I don't judge others' choices, incomes, or lifestyles...or priorities.

Each segment of the human race has its own "culture" if you will. Who's to say one is better than the next one? I think you always find your own culture or social group no matter where you live. I hang in several in Detroit, Michigan. I know similar folks with similar interests exist wherever I decided to live in the future...

And, I don't know...I prefer to just see the loving aspects of people. Underneath it all, it can be argued that as humans we want to enjoy similar things--love, fun, adventure, and the gifts of following our purpose. It's just that the forms are different for everyone. For some, it's living in Orange County with 2.5 kids in a nice house and having nice things and vehicles. For others in the world, having electricity is a big deal...or who knows? Maybe even food is a luxury for some in the world.
Brilliantly stated...I exchange the words metaphysics and energies for spiritual principles but different terminology same goal....Brilliant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County