Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM

13 posts, read 27,297 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to quickly ask your opinion.

I will be staying in CA for the next 2 years for school. After school is done I plan on moving to WA. But while going through school I plan on living in CA because its the most affordable option for me and Im trying to keep all my costs as affordable as possible. School in CA at the community colleges Im looking at are $26 per unit.

I want to live by the beach. I love the beach breeze (or any cool breeze for that matter. I hate hot weather and the beaches always have cooler weather. Its like 75 to 80 degrees at the beach on days when its 105 in other non-beach parts of CA.

My first thought was San Deigo. They have 3 community colleges I could go to, they have cool beach weather that I love, and rent is affordable for me $700 to $850/month. I like that sea world and the zoo and wild animal park are there so there is stuff to do on the weekends. But I would also need to be working too. And I have heard now that jobs dont pay as much in San Deigo as they would in Orange County. A friend of mine who lived in San Deigo said he had a hard time making more than $9/hr.

I also really like Laguna Niguel in Orange County. I would be going to Saddleback college if I lived there which is an affordable school too. One plus of Laguna Niguel is its safer/less crime/more upkept (from what I hear) than San Diego. With Laguna Niguel I would also have the great beach breeze. Jobs also (from what I hear) pay more in the OC areas. But the downside is apartments cost more, $1100+ for studios, and $1200+ for a one bedroom. And those are the cheapest ones. The average rent there seems to be about $1500 or $1600.

Hmmmmm. So what to do. I want a beach city that I can live in for the next 2 years, go to school and work. Should I go with San Diego which is more affordable by maybe has lower paying jobs? Or should I go with Laguna Niguel which may be safer with higher paying jobs but the rent is more expensive?

Any advice? (I will line up a job before I move by the way). But which place is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Well the beachy parts of Laguna Niguel got carved off a few years back and given to Dana Point. You sure you wouldn't prefer somewhere like Dana Point, Capo Beach, or San Clemente? They're closer to the cool beachiness you say you're looking for and probably more interesting for a single person than LN, which is more geared to families.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Not sure if you are a CA resident or not, but if you aren't, I am pretty sure college units cost more than if you were a CA resident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.SnowBunny View Post

I will be staying in CA for the next 2 years

School in CA at the community colleges Im looking at are $26 per unit.

I want to live by the beach.
I love the beach
I like that sea world and the zoo and wild animal park
there is stuff to do on the weekends.
I would also need to be working too.

What will you be studying? Just GE? What's your long term academic plan?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,851,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well the beachy parts of Laguna Niguel got carved off a few years back and given to Dana Point. You sure you wouldn't prefer somewhere like Dana Point, Capo Beach, or San Clemente? They're closer to the cool beachiness you say you're looking for and probably more interesting for a single person than LN, which is more geared to families.
I agree. Laguna Niguel is very family oriented. I don't think it would be great for a single person. It doesn't really feel beachy to me at all.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM

Something about it always struck me as rather sterile.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM

13 posts, read 27,297 times
Ha Ha. Thanks guys. Im not single. Been married for 5 years. My hubby works a basic desk job for $11/hr and is looking for something better. I currently work too and am looking for something better. We live in the Long Beach/LA area and hate it. High crime, homeless, run down. Just not for us. San Diego schools offer $26 per credit though to even out of state people. But yes we live in CA. School in Orange County and San Diego were the most affordable. Orange County rent is more for sure. But I think you are paying for that family feel and look and safe streets and low crime. Dana point seemed more expensive than Laguna Niguel when I was looking around. Im not looking to be right on the beach with all the surfer dudes. I just want to be close to that nice beach breeze. As nice as Orange County really is I have to say Im tempted by the $800 rents in San Diego. San Diego seems to have more to do like sea world and the zoo and the wild animal park. Since my husband and I are a young couple we like to have things to go out and do. Not bars or clubs, just fun things we can go out and do.

Eventually I want to be in WA because I love the nice cool weather. But school cost too much there compared to CA. I need to stay in CA until I finish school. I just want a 2 year degree. Dont have a major picked out or anything. Just want some schooling under my belt.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
800 dollar rents in San Diego mean you are going to be living in the same area you are living in Long Beach.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times
...But while going through school I plan on living in CA because its the most affordable option for me and Im trying to keep all my costs as affordable as possible...

...My hubby works a basic desk job for $11/hr and is looking for something better. I currently work too and am looking for something better...

A few things to consider:
1. Laguna Niguel, as others have stated, is not at all “beachy,” but more staid, family-oriented and “settled,” even though it is beach-close and some residents have ocean views. It is not a beach town by any stretch of the imagination.
2. Laguna Niguel is one of Orange County’s more affluent communities
(city.data.com median estimated household income for 2008 =$103,048), so it would be hard to make it there unless you have a comparable or higher income.
3. Unemployment in Laguna Niguel is currently at 7.1 % (per city-data.com), so there are a lot of people standing in line ahead of you and your husband.
4. Here is something else which might factor into your decision since you said affordability is a top priority :

Dec. 2009 cost of living index in Laguna Niguel: 143.1 (very high, U.S. average is 100), per city-data.com

Last edited by pacific2; 09-14-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 12:28 PM

Why aren't you considering Northern California if you like cool weather and Seattle is your ultimate goal? There are lots of great community colleges in the Bay Area.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times

Any advice? (I will line up a job before I move by the way).

Since you are asking for advice, I would suggest staying where you are as you probably cannot match that rent anyplace in Orange County; especially not in the coastal or near-coastal communities. Also, since you plan on studying at a community college for the next two years, select a high-demand trade (most likely something in the medical area) and focus your energies on excelling in that area. That way, you will be more employable once you make your move to Washington.

Regarding the whole idea of spending weekends at the beach and in engaging in lots of fun activities, chances are you will need your evenings and weekends for study; and given that you will be working as well, recreational pursuits will be a rare indulgence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County