Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Jeppetto's Pizza at Jeronimo and Los Alisos was my favorite. This was back in the seventies and eighties though. Also during that period, Ham's Restaurant at Alicia and Jeronimo was the go-to place for breakfast.

Other than Mario's, I don't have many restaurant memories of MV back in the sixties.
Kind of a culinary no-mans land back then. You could eat at the bowling alley. There weren't any in Laguna Niguel then either that I can remember. Had to go to Laguna or (the original) Dana Point to eat out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
In the early seventies, there was an excellent sandwich shop next door to the Shell station at CVP and Niguel Rd. Then up at the little plaza at what is now CVP and Golden Lantern, there was a good pizza place.
That's about it.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
what is now CVP and Golden Lantern
Doesn't compute.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:23 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Back in the mid 1960s, Mission Viejo must have been "way out there" in terms of distance from jobs. I don't think there was a big Irvine job market and maybe Huntington Beach was one of the closest job centers??? If you look at a map, it looks mostly residential north and west of Mission Viejo.
How did developers expect people to buy "way out there"?

Thanks for the pics Charles.

As for 60's Mission Viejo, I read somewhere that demand for MV properties didn't gain traction until the 70s.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Thanks for the pics Charles.

As for 60's Mission Viejo, I read somewhere that demand for MV properties didn't gain traction until the 70s.
There was no there there in the 60s. Few roads or amenities. Most commercial stuff was in El Toro or down in San Juan Capistrano.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I seem to recall people camping out for a chance at putting a deposit down on yet to be built MV homes as early as '67 or '68.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM

High growth in the 70s:

1970 11,933 —
1980 50,666 324.6%
1990 72,820 43.7%
2000 93,102 27.9%

By 1980 had half its population of today's 100,000.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Too funny! I know there was a thread like this sometime back but this one is equally as entertaining.

During 1964 and '65 I worked summers and weekends as a ranch hand/cowboy on Rancho Mission Viejo which was the original Spanish land grant and encompassed much of what is now houses. Back then it was all grazing land and we ran cattle. Coast Highway south of Corona Del Mar was pretty barren until you hit Laguna and the only thing in between was a date shake stand.

In the 50s and early 60s, Newport Beach and environs was filled with young families raising children and there was no real snob value. Most men were post-war veterans or still in the military and most of the wives were housewives who played tennis and met their friends for bridge on the beach while we children swam, sailed, boated, etc. Block parties and round-robin dinners were the norm and it didn't matter if you were a poorly paid Marine officer or an executive in the newly booming aerospace industry (where most of the Marines ended up after retiring, my father included) in Long Beach or Culver City.

When I returned to CA from back east in 1978 I could hardly believe the growth. The county of orange orchards and strawberry fields had become asphalt and land I used to round-up cattle on was filled with that era's version of McMansions and cement ponds. I had to move inland to be able to afford a house.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

In the 50s and early 60s, Newport Beach and environs was filled with young families raising children and there was no real snob value. Most men were post-war veterans or still in the military and most of the wives were housewives who played tennis and met their friends for bridge on the beach while we children swam, sailed, boated, etc.
"Mom, One of these days I plan on living in Missouri. This state is going down the tubes - mark my words."

Newport Beach Bay Shores, 1956

Old 09-23-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Too funny! I know there was a thread like this sometime back but this one is equally as entertaining.

During 1964 and '65 I worked summers and weekends as a ranch hand/cowboy on Rancho Mission Viejo which was the original Spanish land grant and encompassed much of what is now houses. Back then it was all grazing land and we ran cattle. Coast Highway south of Corona Del Mar was pretty barren until you hit Laguna and the only thing in between was a date shake stand.

In the 50s and early 60s, Newport Beach and environs was filled with young families raising children and there was no real snob value. Most men were post-war veterans or still in the military and most of the wives were housewives who played tennis and met their friends for bridge on the beach while we children swam, sailed, boated, etc. Block parties and round-robin dinners were the norm and it didn't matter if you were a poorly paid Marine officer or an executive in the newly booming aerospace industry (where most of the Marines ended up after retiring, my father included) in Long Beach or Culver City.

When I returned to CA from back east in 1978 I could hardly believe the growth. The county of orange orchards and strawberry fields had become asphalt and land I used to round-up cattle on was filled with that era's version of McMansions and cement ponds. I had to move inland to be able to afford a house.
I remember that date shake stand. When I was a kid a beautiful and very popular local girl from the area was hit by a car and killed crossing PCH to get to it.

You're right about the lack of snob factor in NB. As long as you weren't a jerk it really didn't matter what you did for a living as concerned your status. Even boat mechanics were at the top of the food chain. Just regular folks had summer houses on places like Balboa Island and/or boats around the harbor. It was just an alternative lifestyle not associated with being rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County