Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
MVCO had a targeted national ad campaign for decades.

Signed,
Former part-time MVCO employee
Guess I missed that since I wasn't on the East Coast. Learn somethin' new every day. Didn't seem like a huge influx of New Yawkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
No. We were a very active family... The Nadarores swim team was a huge selling point. We knew about it in even in NY.
I thought we were talking about 1966. The Nadadores were formed in '68 and didn't really hit the national spotlight until the early 70s which was when I was age group swimming with them. Despite Fontucky's assertion I'm still thinking the marketing in '66 was pretty local. Maybe he can dig up an ad from the NY Times or WSJ. I do know it was recognizd as being one of the few master-planned communities along with Columbia MD and Reston VA.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
I ain't digging up ****.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I ain't digging up ****.
You sure in '66 they were marketing on the East coast? I gotta believe that wasn't until the 70s.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
They were by the late sixties, that I'm sure of. And Mr. Piranah did mention the late sixties.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I thought we were talking about 1966. The Nadadores were formed in '68 and didn't really hit the national spotlight until the early 70s which was when I was age group swimming with them. Despite Fontucky's assertion I'm still thinking the marketing in '66 was pretty local. Maybe he can dig up an ad from the NY Times or WSJ. I do know it was recognizd as being one of the few master-planned communities along with Columbia MD and Reston VA.
Just saying. Not sure of the exact time frame but Mission Viejo was "mythical" to many snowbound east coasters...

Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,159,666 times
Would guess CA's upper middle income of that era were often defense-aerospace related

And in LA region, young families were trying to escape smog, poors and crime and preferred new suburban housing amongst similar socio-economic folks....not unlike the fruit orchards of Cupertino and SiliconValley of that era which also spawned new tract houses nr suburban offices of HP, Lockheed, Intel, etc...or the objectives of many middle-income families today in any major urban region: problem today is lots of the decent land in any region nr key offices and good schools is rather costly, as teardown building of a new house is not cheap amidst all the ole crap sitting on useful land....same problem whether in PaloAlto or NwptBch or Dallas today

In '70s-'80s, etc most major cos. built suburban office campuses nr where many of their workers preferred to reside

And any major tech or financial co. moves to a new, latest-tech suburban HQ every 10-20yrs, whether Apple or Pimco

And in past 5yrs, many of workers don't commute to office daily....marvels of mobile computing, telecommuting, etc....reducing both need for office space and need to physically drive to some office daily

Not surprisingly, traffic in SiliconValley (perhaps world's cutting edge) is some of fastest on planet....as most live in suburbs nr their offices and can work from anywhere/anytime off some mobile computing device...lots of opportunity cost/energy efficiency/productivity/lifestyle advantages from modern computing amidst CA's impeccable weather

Computing has transformed and enabled the rather efficient yet decentralized, suburban, virtualized lifestyle of tech/finance-oriented places like NewportBch or PaloAlto or LA's Westside or Seattle's Medina....and made a mockery out of those Luddites who claim productive taxpayers need/want to be in some old urban setting living in a used/renovated apt nr some commie transit operated by overpaid unionized gvt workers....

Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Would guess CA's upper middle income of that era were often defense-aerospace related.
Some, but seemed like most did other things like small business, teaching, real estate, stocks, or insurance. I'd say aerospace engineers were a small minority of the upper middle class and were more middle than upper middle. Many of the people I lived around at the time were retirees who made their money elsewhere.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Just saying. Not sure of the exact time frame but Mission Viejo was "mythical" to many snowbound east coasters...
We used to make fun of it as being plastic (ticky tack was the term used at the time) and big brotherish. However, the rec centers were nice.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:04 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
Wow. those photos are amazing!
Some of those areas still looked like that even in the late 70s when I drove with my folks to Lion Country Safari.
All I remember seeing were the old Irvine Company signs on the 5 advertising all the new developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County