Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 01:32 PM

37 posts, read 146,591 times

Advertisements

I posted my question in the San Diego thread, but thought I might be able to get some advice on the OC thread, too.
I have the opportunity to attend either UC Irvine or UCSD starting in Spring of next year. I'm relatively familiar with both cities-culture and atmosphere wise, except I'm not too familiar with the rental cost in either cities. My boyfriend and I would only be able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment around $1150-1200. How does the Irvine area compare to SD in regard to rental prices? Is $1200 a realistic price when looking for apartments in Irvine?

Thanks!
Chelsea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:45 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
i would go to UCSD regardless of rent simply for the fact that is a top tier university. UCI is also a good school, but not on the same level as UCSD.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
Do you have to live within walking distance of UCI? Rents will be a lot cheaper a few miles away in a city like Costa Mesa. I don't know if you'll be able to get a 1 bedroom for that in Irvine itself.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i would go to UCSD regardless of rent simply for the fact that is a top tier university. UCI is also a good school, but not on the same level as UCSD.
Well, I'm actually attending UC Santa Cruz, and the reason I have the opportunity to go to either of those schools is because there's this program called the Inter-campus Visitor program which allows me to attend one of those schools for a quarter-but I won't actually be a part of either of those schools. I'll still be considered a UCSC student, and it will only be for that quarter that I would attend one of those schools.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Do you have to live within walking distance of UCI? Rents will be a lot cheaper a few miles away in a city like Costa Mesa. I don't know if you'll be able to get a 1 bedroom for that in Irvine itself.
And no I wouldn't expect to live right in Irvine, since I've heard Irvine itself can be quite expensive. I've heard mixed opinions about Costa Mesa..I don't mind not being able to live in the best area, but I'd rather stay away from places where my Honda is likely to get stolen if I leave it parked on a street. Is it that kind of an area?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 02:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaRave View Post
And no I wouldn't expect to live right in Irvine, since I've heard Irvine itself can be quite expensive. I've heard mixed opinions about Costa Mesa..I don't mind not being able to live in the best area, but I'd rather stay away from places where my Honda is likely to get stolen if I leave it parked on a street. Is it that kind of an area?

Thanks
Costa Mesa is a mixed bag. Some areas are OK, some aren't but its not too hard to tell the difference by driving around. I'm paying $1350 for a 2/2 in a small complex that's independently owned. The big mega complexes are more.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,045,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaRave View Post
I posted my question in the San Diego thread, but thought I might be able to get some advice on the OC thread, too.
I have the opportunity to attend either UC Irvine or UCSD starting in Spring of next year. I'm relatively familiar with both cities-culture and atmosphere wise, except I'm not too familiar with the rental cost in either cities. My boyfriend and I would only be able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment around $1150-1200. How does the Irvine area compare to SD in regard to rental prices? Is $1200 a realistic price when looking for apartments in Irvine?

Thanks!
Chelsea
Compare - Best Colleges - Education - US News (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/compare/items+1314+1317 - broken link)

San Diego came in about $300/yr more for room & board. I agree there are areas around both schools that are populated by students, and thus cheaper than surrounding homes/apts. Also, you could always get a roomate from the housing dept of your school if you don't know anyone.

I was surprised to see UCSD ranked higher than UCI. My impression is that UCI is better.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:45 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,632,584 times
Try apartments.com and you may be able to find a one bedroom in a safe neighborhood in either Laguna Niguel, Lake Forest (parts of LF are questionable) or Mission Viejo. They are all within an easy commute to the UCI campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County