U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2010, 02:20 PM

7,997 posts, read 9,652,493 times
Charles

The scale on the map for Redwood City is 500ft
The scale on the map for Irvine is 1000ft

Now zoom 1 [+] click in on Irvine to 500ft and compare.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.024376&z=16

Notice how Irvine's cluster went POOF?

Even with Irvine at 1000ft, you have to go pretty far to get to each place and sometimes over the highway....

Last edited by Mach50; 03-22-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,852,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Would you say the average person in Irvine is a telecommuter? No kids as well.

If you drive 25-40 min a day without a commute, and no kids....imagine what someone who does will drive. 2-3 hours is my guess.

here are some stats to back it up:

Irvine Commute Each way:

Relationship status

Kids:

Irvine Local Community Information - Zillow Local Info
How do you figure? Over half the people in the sample you provided have a one way commute of UNDER 20 minutes.

Additionally, I'm not going out to a restaurant every night (which is why I could afford to live in Irvine), and I'm definitely not going grocery shopping everyday. So that cuts time out on the road as well.

I guess the problem I have with your generalization is that it's very inaccurate. You're painting out Irvine like you have to drive more to get places than any other SoCal city when that's simply not the case.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
How do you figure? Over half the people in the sample you provided have a one way commute of UNDER 20 minutes.

Additionally, I'm not going out to a restaurant every night (which is why I could afford to live in Irvine), and I'm definitely not going grocery shopping everyday. So that cuts time out on the road as well.

I guess the problem I have with your generalization is that it's very inaccurate. You're painting out Irvine like you have to drive more to get places than any other SoCal city when that's simply not the case.
You argued my guess of 2-3 hours in a car each day for someone who lives in Irvine. Yet even you estimated driving 25-40 mins a day, telecommuting with no kids.

You're the one arguing my guess. I'd say you tack on another 40 min round trip commute to yours we are at 1hour 20 min avg...then kids going to parks, schools, library. I'd bet the avg is now close to 2 hours a day, and for some as much as 3 hours.

So I will keep my guess at 2-3 hours average for Irvine, since Irvine is all we are talking about here. All of SoCal is completely out of context.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:43 PM

2,648 posts, read 3,030,309 times
Quote:
The car is nothing but a moving swarm of insects. Pick your poison: living in a house in Irvine and spending 2-3 hours in your car a day commuting or live in an urban area and take a train, walk or bike in very little time..but yes live in a hive.

New urbanity is a movement because people like to walk to bars, restaurants, a library or cafe in a nice clustered area close to home.

Here is my little town of Redwood City, I can walk to everything I need, these are within about 1/2 mile of each other:

Courthouse lawn and Fox Theater:

Library:

Movie theaters right around the corner:

There is also a Safeway and a Whole foods a short distance from the downtown pictured above...again walking distance.

We are also a 30 min train ride from Union Square in San Francisco.

I live in westpark in Irvine. From my home I can walk to:

3 theaters: Arthouse, Discount $2 & mainstream mega plex
Numerous Food shopping: Albertsons, Target, Sprouts, Whole Foods & Costco, Ranch 99 Market.
Restaurants: the entire "District" shopping outdoor entertainment center, Panera, California Fish grill, Stone Fire, Mimi's, Islands, Ruby's, Vessia, Claim Jumper & dozens of smaller chinese, japanese, mediteranian, mexican, thai, peruvian, korean & italian eateries. Hell, I can even get a passable Philly Cheesesteak here.

I could walk to my office in 30 minutes, but don't have time to "commute" 1 hour every day, so I take a 5 minute ride. Which is nice, because my last job was a 10 minute ride away.

I'm a 1 hour train ride to LA - but who the hell want's to go there anyway?

In addition -I'm a 20 minute car ride to the beach. Or to the hills. Or Disneyland. Or South Coast Plaza.

With a 5-10 minute walk my kids can get to 3 city parks. Their top rated elementary school. 2 pools. 2 sets of tennis courts. 3 different basketbal courts. 3 sets of soccer feilds. 4 baseball diamonds. Plus there are bike lanes everywhere. Walking paths. Bike trail to the Ocean. No Crime. Great schools.

I like my Irvine hive just fine, thank you very much....

Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
You argued my guess of 2-3 hours in a car each day for someone who lives in Irvine. Yet even you estimated driving 25-40 mins a day, telecommuting with no kids.

You're the one arguing my guess. I'd say you tack on another 40 min round trip commute to yours we are at 1hour 20 min avg...then kids going to parks, schools, library. I'd bet the avg is now close to 2 hours a day, and for some as much as 3 hours.

So I will keep my guess at 2-3 hours average for Irvine, since Irvine is all we are talking about here. All of SoCal is completely out of context.
Wow, 1 hour and 20 minutes all the way to 3 hours? You're all over the place just to prove your non-existent point.

There is a lot of ASSumption in your post. You simply don't know much about statistical analysis.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I live in westpark in Irvine. From my home I can walk to:

3 theaters: Arthouse, Discount $2 & mainstream mega plex
Numerous Food shopping: Albertsons, Target, Sprouts, Whole Foods & Costco, Ranch 99 Market.
Restaurants: the entire "District" shopping outdoor entertainment center, Panera, California Fish grill, Stone Fire, Mimi's, Islands, Ruby's, Vessia, Claim Jumper & dozens of smaller chinese, japanese, mediteranian, mexican, thai, peruvian, korean & italian eateries. Hell, I can even get a passable Philly Cheesesteak here.

I could walk to my office in 30 minutes, but don't have time to "commute" 1 hour every day, so I take a 5 minute ride. Which is nice, because my last job was a 10 minute ride away.

I'm a 1 hour train ride to LA - but who the hell want's to go there anyway?

In addition -I'm a 20 minute car ride to the beach. Or to the hills. Or Disneyland. Or South Coast Plaza.

With a 5-10 minute walk my kids can get to 3 city parks. Their top rated elementary school. 2 pools. 2 sets of tennis courts. 3 different basketbal courts. 3 sets of soccer feilds. 4 baseball diamonds. Plus there are bike lanes everywhere. Walking paths. Bike trail to the Ocean. No Crime. Great schools.

I like my Irvine hive just fine, thank you very much....
Don't waste facts on Mach50, he'll spend a few post trying to prove you spend 3 hours in the car taking your kids to school and the library just so he can enjoy his fake urbanity.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 PM

337 posts, read 582,364 times
Quote:
I bet the average Irvine dweller does spend 2-3 hours in their car daily, I am talking a summation of all time in the car to work and after work.
Not really even close considering stats on commute times. All surburbs are not the same. And Irvine is not Riverside.

Article 2009

"Palm Springs and Indio in the Coachella Valley posted some of the shortest commutes in Southern California, about 20 minutes. But not far behind were some Orange County suburbs: Costa Mesa (22.3), Tustin (22.3) and Irvine (22.5)."

It speaks volumes that CM, tustin, irvine all border each other. Irvinites don't waste time.

A 22 min Irvine commute to work is very pretty. Walking cities like San Francisco was 29.2. New York and Chicago were in the 30s. not to say that suburban cities have better commutes than urbanites. But how long you spend commuting is a condition caused by your choices (or lack of choices) in personal life, but not a condition caused by urbanity or lack of it.

If I could walk to work, I'd love it. But only if my commute was 30 minutes or less with perfect weather conditions. There is something wonderful to be said about being in a warm heated car with NPR on the radio driving to work at 6am while it's dead freezing outside. I can't even imagine NY-ers walking in snow.

Link

Last edited by dtran103; 03-22-2010 at 10:51 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM

Great post Dtran!

Expect Mach50 to slowly back pedal, and then finally slither away from this thread in shame as he has been thoroughly proven wrong and exposed. Good job.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Na if I am wrong, that's cool. I just watched all those people on 5 commuting from Irvine and thought they must live in their cars.

Your example of telecommuting is the worst counter claim though. I still don't see it being that far of a stretch that you drive 40 min with no commute to work, and someone else with a commute and kids would drive 2 hours total a day.

However, overall it has very little to do with my point, that Irvine is not that awesome for anyone that likes an urban lifestyle regardless of how much money they make. It's sterile life at its best with only a single class of people living it. No true downtown, disbursed and beige. But it is SAFE lol which seems like what everyone who lives there is looking for.

For me, I prefer something a bit more gritty, with a pulse and a true downtown that is walkable, not a strip mall with a Starbucks and a CVS.

Last edited by Mach50; 03-23-2010 at 08:43 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 AM

16,587 posts, read 19,316,649 times
To the Irvinites: Is this true: (A) It's against the law in Irvine to leave your garage door open for more than 30 minutes, and (B) Work vehicles such as a plumbing van or electrician's pick up truck aren't allowed to be parked on the street or in one's driveway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County