Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:52 PM

77 posts, read 347,110 times

Advertisements

There's a British curry house in Fullerton, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to live that far away from Costa Mesa. The commute would just be horrible.
Your husband is going to have to sacrifice the curry house for a bearable commute and good schools for your son.
You may want to look into Huntington if you like a beachy, laid back town. The real estate market is quite unimpressive for what you get. The schools are good, not amazing. Most of the housing is pretty old (built in the 60's and 70's) so don't expect anything like Ladera Ranch.
Newport Beach is the most coveted city in Orange County, and with good reason. There are little boutiques everywhere, there is a huge harbor, and 6.5 miles of sandy beach I believe. Rich people flock here by the thousands. East of the Back Bay is where you want to be. The schools are better and it is more family oriented.
Irvine is consistently recognized for it's outstanding schools and safety. This city will be cheaper than the other two, but it does not contain a beach. Most of the city is divided up into little master planned communities built in different eras. If you're going to live here, expect to have your wallet slowly drained out by HOA fees. This city is the definition of Orange County Suburbia. Consider that about 1/2 of the population is asian. This doesn't really matter because racial tension is never a problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 03:10 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSies11 View Post
There's a British curry house in Fullerton, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to live that far away from Costa Mesa. The commute would just be horrible.
Your husband is going to have to sacrifice the curry house for a bearable commute and good schools for your son.
Oh please. Maybe if you're riding a bicycle. Fullerton to Costa Mesa is only 21 miles and about 35 minutes in traffic. You must be a CA newbie if you think that's a rough commute.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,135 times
Thats's pretty funny! Where did you go to school? Yes grew up in a Lutheran family myself..but Dane and Norwegian. Have you looked in Eastside Costa Mesa yet? there are some great deals there right now.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 AM

214 posts, read 650,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsa137 View Post
My husband has accepted a position in Costa Mesa and we have 6-8 months to make the move. We are planning on a few relocation visits before we pack up our house and move west, but I need insider advice on where to target so I don't wind up just driving down the PCH like I did last month.

We are moving from Houston Texas where the houses are cheap but the salaries are low so we aren't coming with buckets of money, probably ~$80k liquid. My husband's salary is $160k, and I plan on getting a job too (if I can find one).

We have a 2 year old son who'll need daycare and eventual schooling. We figure we need a place ~ 1800-2200 sf, hopefully with some dirt so we can do a bit of gardening.

After looking at Trulia (painful) and this fine site I've narrowed the area down to the southern part of OC, probably around Laguna / Aliso... can anyone recommend anywhere else we should have a look? I don't want to wander aimlessly next time, so your help will be appreciated.

Other info: husband is British so a local curry house is required; we are no religion but I don't mind Lutherans (for daycare or school); I have never seen RHOOC but will soon so I can have a look at the territory
Other areas that you might want to look at are Irvine, Tustin Ranch, Aliso Viejo, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Niguel, and Mission Viejo. I would HIGHLY recommend that you guys rent before even considering buying something. It's a cheap way to check out the area without committing yourself.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Where will O.C. housing strength be? - Lansner on Real Estate - The Orange County Register

Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,904 times
You could really live anywhere in South Orange County and drive to Costa Mesa, it isn't that bad of a commute. If the I-5/405 freeway is really bad one day you could always take highway 73. Compared to most south orange county schools there are some in Capistrano School District that aren't as good.
This link should help
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 02-03-2011, 01:37 AM

9 posts, read 15,362 times
Since your husband already will be working in Costa Mesa, I would think Eastside Costa Mesa or the Back Bay area of Newport Beach would be a great place to start your search. I work at Keller Williams Newport Beach and the prices in the area are really starting to come down!
You also dont need 20% down if you are going to buy. There is a new conventional loan that only requires 5% down, has no MI and the rates are only around .125% higher (which is nothing).
Also, Costa Mesa has free afterschool programs to keep down the childcare costs, which is extremely beneficial. Keep that in mind!
Good luck!!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 AM

9 posts, read 15,362 times
Oh, and Ye Olde Ship in Santa Ana and Fullerton has an awesome English menu and great Curry! We have a good friend from England that comes out often to visit. We usually get a big group of us together at the Santa Ana restaurant at least once every time he is out! Great place! Dont forget to check it out!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 AM

394 posts, read 966,995 times
I have a 2100 SF house for sale in TUSTIN (4BR, 3 BA, Pool, Hot Tub, Fireplace). I moved here after living in Costa Mesa for 30 years because I felt that the housing prices in CM were outrageous!
City of Tustin, CA :: Homepage

I have been here for 12 years and I really like the town a lot. Redhill Lutheran church / school is less than 200 yards from my front door.
Red Hill Lutheran School

PM me for more info if you like...
Attached Thumbnails
Where should we look for housing in Southern OC?-house.jpg  

Old 02-03-2011, 05:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
I have a 2100 SF house for sale in TUSTIN (4BR, 3 BA, Pool, Hot Tub, Fireplace).

PM me for more info if you like...

Everything about the house is perfect, except that little tree at the corner of the garage is a show stopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County