Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:44 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Fountain Valley is nice. Just make sure you're not in Garden Grove School District territory, basically east of Euclid.

How would the commute be for the OP and his wife if she travels to Torrance and he works in Carlsbad? Which would be easier for them, Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, or some other city in that area?
The commute's going to be a steaming pile for one of both of them no matter what. That's just a hell of a lot of miles to cover every day. HB and FV are right next to each other so the commute would be pretty much the same as long as they're not way off the freeway like in downtown HB.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:50 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The commute's going to be a steaming pile for one of both of them no matter what. That's just a hell of a lot of miles to cover every day. HB and FV are right next to each other so the commute would be pretty much the same as long as they're not way off the freeway like in downtown HB.
Abso-friggin'-lutely. Mission Viejo to Carlsbad is about 45 minutes IF there is no traffic and IF a tanker doesn't flip over and burst into flames at the last off ramp before heading into San Diego County (where there is no good exit for about eight miles; just Camp Pendleton and open land for military exercises--boom, you're stuck). I drove the thing back and forth between Santa Ana and the Mexican border for over six years when I had to play driver at one of my old jobs and every way that it could possibly suck it DID, at one time or another. Not that it always did, but case in point....

My VERY FIRST time doing this run for my company was in August 2002, with two years under my belt doing my regular job (office grunt, etc.). There was an overturned big-rig at the 5 and the 74 that day.....let's just say that it was about a two hour detour; first, because of the wraparound, and second, because of ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE wanting to travel the same direction I was travelling that couldn't do it, so we were all detouring together inland. If you are going to the border already it is not so bad, since you are expecting a long drive anyway, but between MV or Irvine and Carlsbad? That would suck HARD.....

OP, do you and your spouse a big favor; CHOOSE one of those places based on income and housing possibilities FOR that income, and the person losing out on the job can look for one closer in. Seriously, you DON'T want to spend your life becoming an expert on highway transportation IN ADDITION to what you do to earn a living. The only good thing that can come from it is MAYBE to re-tell war stories on Internet Forums such as this one.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:02 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Abso-friggin'-lutely. Mission Viejo to Carlsbad is about 45 minutes IF there is no traffic and IF a tanker doesn't flip over and burst into flames at the last off ramp before heading into San Diego County (where there is no good exit for about eight miles; just Camp Pendleton and open land for military exercises--boom, you're stuck)

I live near MV and travel down to the Carlsbad area on a regular basis, but I rarely run into serious traffic problems. Tankers do not overturn everyday.The trip is usually a 45 minute breeze; travelling to Torrance from MV would be a nightmare.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Abso-friggin'-lutely. Mission Viejo to Carlsbad is about 45 minutes IF there is no traffic and IF a tanker doesn't flip over and burst into flames at the last off ramp before heading into San Diego County (where there is no good exit for about eight miles; just Camp Pendleton and open land for military exercises--boom, you're stuck)

I live near MV and travel down to the Carlsbad area on a regular basis, but I rarely run into serious traffic problems. Tankers do not overturn everyday.The trip is usually a 45 minute breeze; travelling to Torrance from MV would be a nightmare.
If there is a way to leave early in the morning, like between 4-5am, then the trip wont be that bad and likewise leaving early, like 2-3pm, on the way home. Another option is a 9/80 schedule or telecommuting if possible.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
If there is a way to leave early in the morning, like between 4-5am, then the trip wont be that bad and likewise leaving early, like 2-3pm, on the way home. Another option is a 9/80 schedule or telecommuting if possible.
This is solid plan - particularly for the OC-Torrance commute. I've gone from Irvine to LAX in 45 minutes - if I am off the 405 by 6 am. Southbound from Irvine to Carlsbad is a breeze, 35-40 minutes. No need for a ridiculous wake time there. If you start from Hunt. Beach or F. Valley add 20 minutes to the southbound drive.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 PM

14 posts, read 36,748 times
Long time, lot of things happened. We ended up in sunny downtown San Diego. Commuting to Carlsbad and Rancho Bernado. The commute's not that bad coming from downtown, actually. Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County