Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 PM

9 posts, read 13,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
I don't live in OC, however, I have been down there often and almost moved to SoCal last year. I think we have similiar taste preferences when it comes to neighbourhoods. I currently live in a very diverse neighbourhood in Vancouver which itself is diverse. When I was looking, I focused my search on Fullerton, and Orange in OC and Long Beach in L.A County. If the job requires you to travel all over North OC and Southern L.A County I would seriously consider Long Beach. I REALLY like Long Beach. Very diverse, an actual city of 500,000 good areas, ok areas, and scary areas. I would look into the Belmont Heights neighbourhood or eastern LB. Long Beach Unified has gotten some best urban school district award last year.Parts of Lakewood could work as well. Hope this helps.
Wonderful feedback...thank you. I will do some research. First, got to find it on the bloody map! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgiamette View Post
Mission Viejo, Irvine, Laguna Hills, Fullerton, Laguna Niguel, San Juan, Aliso Viejo, Costa Mesa, Cerritos.
Them's a few that show up in OC in that price range.
Note, I have not taken the time yet to place all those on a map but I will do so. Was focusing mainly on Laguna Niguel over the past few weeks as it gets mentioned often but thought I'd seek advice on less well known neighborhoods.
Based on your requirements, I don't think you'd like anything south of the 55 freeway.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 PM

14 posts, read 23,460 times
I think you want to live in Corona del Mar, but you might try one of the inland canyon neighborhood with a tiny school for what you want, or a town with a small school district, they are better, more individualized attention

Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 PM

378 posts, read 760,618 times
You'll find lots of great neighborhoods in Laguna Niguel that have high concentrations of young families. The neighborhoods along Golden Lantern are chock full of families with elementary-aged kids.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:22 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,685,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
You'll find lots of great neighborhoods in Laguna Niguel that have high concentrations of young families. The neighborhoods along Golden Lantern are chock full of families with elementary-aged kids.

-I realize it's a bit of a challenge but I'm keen on some ethnic diversity.

Laguna Niguel has lots of things going for it, but ethnic diversity is definitely not one of those things. South OC’s newer communities of Ladera Ranch, Aliso Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita will offer more in the way of ethnic diversity. They are also very safe and family-friendly.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:02 AM

Consider Aliso Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita or Ladera Ranch. Much of what you will see in the following Aliso Viejo videos ( with the exceptions of the Renaissance Club Sport Hotel and Spa which has tons of kid activities; the AV Ice Palace, the AV National Gymnastics Center, City Perk, The Neighborhood Cup and Aliso and Wood Canyon) applies to RSM and Ladera, since they are also new, safe and kid-friendly master-planned communities.

City of Aliso Viejo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpN40_1h5NE

Aliso Viejo Town Center

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPJXou8bpU

Renaissance ClubSport and Spa, Aliso Viejo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylgdfrsew6k

Aliso Viejo Ice Palace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq0Fnvaj05Y

AV National Gymnastics Center

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr0EItrN6Bo

Last edited by pacific2; 11-11-2010 at 07:19 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 07:21 AM

Consider also Aliso Viejo, RSM and Ladera Ranch.
AV videos, PART 2:

The Neighborhood Cup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o44x0JjSICQ

City Perk Coffee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT1JwrWYozM

Aliso Viejo Wood Canyon - CayoteTrail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAM74Do3ZM4

Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 AM

Aliso Viejo Part 3 (Soka is a Buddhist university located in AV):

Soka University Aliso Viejo International Festival

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDUpDb6maAw

Last edited by pacific2; 11-11-2010 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 07:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgiamette View Post
Darn, I did so much reading thought I'd covered all bases. Forgot rent. Silly. Due to ongoing financial responsibilities on this coast things will be tight for the first lease. Probably wouldn't want to go much higher than 2500 a month for a three bedroom. Things will change dramatically after the first six months but for now that is my budget. I realize that's a bit skimpy for the area but better to deal in truth and reality, right? Anyway, as for location, most of the job sites will be in north orange county. From what I can tell looking at a map of an area I'm completely unfamiliar with there are also some areas in the southern part of the city, (LA), that will need to be commuted to.
Honestly, I'm not afraid of a townhouse or apartment to start if that is the best answer.
I'd have to do some complex math and a bit of conferring with the husband-type person before I'd be able to commit to a figure for a purchase. Is it possible to come up with any suggestions based on this much information?
Truly, I do not fear ethnic neighborhoods and do not link the speaking of another language to being a dangerous criminal. I grew up low income and led a rather safe, comfortable, diverse life with many interesting experiences. I do not feel I need to surround myself with rich and white in order to be cocooned in safety, so don't feel you have to limit your suggestions to traditionally accepted "safe" spots. Open my mind a bit. Thanks for responding!
ok, I have lived both in No Va and So Ca. You are not going to find the traffic that much worse in So Ca specially during commute time.

As for a yard, you can probably forget that: even the newer homes in Va have a lot more yard than you are going to find in your price range in OC or LA county. But you say you want a nice yard, but will consider a town home or apartment.

Now, where to look, I think I would suggest Belmont Shores, Long Beach, and maybe Fullerton. REmember you are talking Orange County, one of the most conservative counties in the country and not terribly diverse for the most part. This doesn't mean there is no diversity, of there is, but not as much as you might want.

2500 a month should work pretty easily, but don't pay too much attention to what you are seeing on CL. It is a great starting point, but not always what it seems to be. You might want to contact a realtor to see what is available.
Nita

Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Since you have children and work in north OC I would look at Cypress or Rossmor, Katella has highly rated public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County