Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 PM

17 posts, read 40,782 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide if I should rent in downtown Fullerton or Costa Mesa (South Coast Metro) if I'll be working in downtown Santa Ana for the next 9 months to a year. After that time I will be moving back to LA, where I currently live.

I found a decent 1BR in Fullerton that's about $100 less than the Ave of the Arts place, though it's slightly smaller and the complex has less amenities. Avenue of the Arts is pretty crazy, I've never lived in one of those huge complexes that have a gym and pools with cabanas, etc. Honestly I don't care too much about those extra amenities, besides location and price, the only must have I decided I needed was a washer-dryer in-unit, which is a luxury I'm willing to pay for.

When I've driven to downtown Fullerton after work (twice), it's taken me about 30-35 minutes, but traffic seemed relatively light. I'm worried it might take longer than that usually, although without traffic it seems like it would take about 20-25 minutes.

Driving to the South Coast Metro area to/from Santa Ana Civic Center area seems to take about 20-25 minutes down Bristol/local streets. The benefit is I don't have to get on a freeway.

My other consideration is that I plan on going back to LA as much as I can on the weekends, so the fact that Fullerton is a good 15 miles closer is a definite plus.

Downtown Fullerton and Costa Mesa are quite different, they both seem ok. I really hate to move from LA/Los Feliz where I currently am but the commute is just killing me. What would you guys do if you had to move for a year or so? Appreciate any opinions/feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,110,685 times
first off, neither is going to have anywhere near the same crowd as los feliz or anywhere in la for that matter. downtown fullerton is fun, but definitely has a college vibe with the nearby jr. college and university. downtown fullerton is very walkable though with plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from. south coast metro has the mall and nearby restaurants surrounded by giant parking lots that wouldn't be fun to walk through. however, that area would have more of a young professional crowd.

downtown santa ana and downtown fullerton are also connected by metrolink/amtrak in case you were interested in taking the train to work. have you ever tried taking the train from los feliz?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 PM

No, I've never tried taking the Metrolink. I've pored over the schedules though and I know there is a 6:45 train from Union Station that would get me to work by 8 am, and then there's one train that leaves Santa Ana and gets back to Union Station at 6:20 pm. The problem is there's only one train in the morning and then one again in the evening that are feasible, so it's somewhat of a problem if I need to stay late at work. Also I would need to take a bus once I got off in Santa Ana. Another consideration honestly is that I'm not a morning person and it's killing me right now to get up before 6 to get to work by 8. Even though moving is a hassle, it's worth it to kill the bad commute and be able to get more sleep.

As far as nightlife, I'm definitely beyond college age, more of a 30-something yuppie type, but I don't see myself going out much to begin with, especially during the week. I don't really like the huge mall/chain restaurant vibe in South Coast Metro, but then again it's convenient and there's a Trader Joe's, etc.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 PM

253 posts, read 1,128,022 times
If you don't mind an extra five minutes, I rec Back Bay/Eastside CM.

Sort of like a coastal Los Feliz/Silverlake. Mother's Mkt on Newport Blvd and the 55 is amazing:
if you have TomTom: 1890 Newport Blvd., CM.

-Cali-girl

Old 12-27-2010, 05:29 PM

300 posts, read 1,254,354 times
I totally agree with Cali-girl. I was going to say that Fulleton isn't that great- its just "meh", plus lots of college kids- which if you are over that stage in your life, its not really a plus to be near that "vibe" (in my opinion, anyway!). And "South Coast Metro" is basically Santa Ana, but that area fought to be labeled as "South Coast Metro" because it wasn't Costa Mesa, and they didn't want the "tainted" Santa Ana city name. Plus- unless you are really into the arts or being at South Coast Plaza everyday...there really isn't a reason to live at Ave of the Arts. I would ABSOLUTLEY recommend Back Bay/Eastside CM. Why not embrace more of the local beach scene while you are here? There are tons of great local places to eat and shop and have coffee, etc.- plus the adjacency to the water, bike and walk paths, etc. I would take the extra time commuting over Fullerton and SCM. Plus, Fullerton gets HOT in the summer! And if you lived in the area of Costa Mesa we are talking about, you will be close to the beach and eliminate the tourist traffic during peak season. Also, you can get to just about anywhere in OC via sidestreets, if you had to/wanted to. I know everyone has GPS now, but its worth it to study a map, drive around a bit and have a thomas guide handy when you want to get alternate routs and short cuts. I know GPS claims to do that- but my husband relies heavily on his and it is not smarter than just knowing your way around. There are at least 5 ways to get anywhere in OC. =) Good luck!

Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 AM

Thanks for the recommendations Cali-girl and preppyglam! I've ruled out Fullerton, but now I'm also thinking of Orange. Just going to pick something and go with it. Thanks again for everyone's feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County