Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:04 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times

Advertisements

I recently stumbled across this news release, and it looks as though this emigration phenomena is projected to accelerate in 2011:

35 more firms on ‘leaving California’ list - Jan Norman on Small Business : The Orange County Register

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 12:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
They come and go?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:14 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I recently stumbled across this news release, and it looks as though this emigration phenomena is projected to accelerate in 2011:

35 more firms on ‘leaving California’ list - Jan Norman on Small Business : The Orange County Register

Your thoughts?

personally...if our options were moving to Texas....yucky climate..or Arkansas..total boonies...we would have retired way sooner than we did

actually I would guess it is more the out of country stuff that is hurting not only Calif,,,but all of US business...

Old 12-17-2010, 03:26 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Well, I heard recently that Shutterfly, which was once stationed in Hayward, CA, is moving to Arizona (I don't know why, but I can only guess) and another internet company (which I won't name) is expanding to Kentucky and Texas (because of the favorable tax incentives to companies that expand into their state... which California doesn't offer).

Look, people can spin it any way they want, but the fact is, other states/countries can and WILL offer incentives to lure companies and the jobs away. We can either become competitive or stay on our current path and hemorrhage more jobs.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
Too much red tape and too much taxes. The only thing that CA has going for it is silicon valley but that is changing fast. Especially with India investing heavily into universities etc. Bangalore is basically the silicon valley of India. Last time I was there I saw almost every fortune 500 tech company there. The only real businesses thriving here are retail oriented business since lots of rich people still live here.

Need I say more?

Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
California to business: GTFO.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:57 AM

72 posts, read 434,289 times
I think the reason companies leave California is our state is not very business-friendly. Why can't our politicians make our state more business-friendly in order to encourage companies to do business here? Or, am I being too simplistic in thinking it would be that easy to do?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmpEngineer View Post
I think the reason companies leave California is our state is not very business-friendly. Why can't our politicians make our state more business-friendly in order to encourage companies to do business here? Or, am I being too simplistic in thinking it would be that easy to do?
Because there's a million groups that want to tax, ban, require, or regulate something business does. Its not so much any one of these, but the cumulative weight of it all that forces business out. As the old saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:21 AM

55 posts, read 153,935 times
I personal cant wait to move my company out of CA. This place is a joke if you own a business. The ONLY good thing is the weather out here. Everything else is sub-par. High taxes, cost of living, home values, too many illegals, traffic, selfish self-centered people, crappy roads for what we pay in taxes, BS gun laws; need I go on.

I cant wait to leave this place. It was great 10 years ago, but it has significantly gone down the tubes since.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:08 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
California to business: GTFO.
Texas to CA businesses, welcome welcome welcome. The more the merrier.

There is a down side to this. Texas is getting more and more liberal. We have been here only a little over 3 years and have seen a difference. Hopefully I will be long gone before it turns into another nanny state like CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County