Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times

Advertisements

Looking for recommendations for less expensive, maybe hole in the wall, restaurants in Orange County (not Mexican because they are everywhere and there already is a good thread on Mexican Restaurants in OC).

Saw this in today's LA Times.

Chili Chutney restaurant review: Chili Chutney, an Afghan restaurant in Lake Forest - latimes.com

And there was this posted on another thread awhile ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Gustavo Arellano, of "Ask a Mexican" fame, writes a weekly food column for the O.C. Weekly called "This Hole-in-the-Wall Life" He ONLY reviews greasy-spoon, ethnic dives in OC. Most of the reviews are of Mexican/ Central American joints, but his second-favorite type of food is middle-eastern. You can check out his columns on-line on the OC Weekly web site.
Middle Easterm, Lebanese, Armenian, kabobs, weird stuff, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Thai Paradise Restaurant
3551 Camino Mira Costa # B, San Clemente

There's a greasy chop stick in El Toro at ETR and Trabuco. "The King and I Thai" is the name. It's hit and miss, but cheap. They also offer fish and chips . Yeah, I know...???

Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,681,943 times
Kamal Palace in Marina Pacifica has pretty good Indian cuisine. I realize Marina Pacifica is in Long Beach, but it's right on the border with Seal Beach.

Valhalla Table is supposed to be pretty good. Located at The Camp in Costa Mesa. German style sausage, Belgian style fries, ran by Indonesians who own the bakery next door(Layer Cake) which adds some odd Indonesian dishes(or sauces) to the menu

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 AM

22 posts, read 60,554 times
Bismillah Restaurant in Buena Park for good Indian / Pakistani food.

Bismillah Halal Tandoori - Google Maps

Also a hole in the wall Mexican joint that is inexpensive and open 24 hours. Taqueria off of Katella and Glassell in Orange.

Taqueria - Google Maps

Wholesome Choice Food Court Good ethnic foods, like Iranian / Persian, Arabic, Chinese, etc. They have lunch specials too.

Wholesome Choice, Irvine - Google Maps
Wholesome Choice, Anaheim - Google Maps

Great Wall Chinese Food in Santa Ana for Chinese food that doesn't suck or cost you an arm and a leg. Good portions too.

Great Wall Chinese Food - Google Maps

For Cuban food, Felix Continental Cafe in the Orange Circle.

Felix Continental Cafe - Google Maps

Hopefully this gets you started. I can't think of any more at the moment, but I will try to post again in a few days with some more places.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arplayer2k View Post
Hopefully this gets you started. I can't think of any more at the moment, but I will try to post again in a few days with some more places.

It does, thanks (to all). And, yes, please do post more.

Here is a list of all the "Hole in the Wall" columns from the OCWeekley. They are written by GUSTAVO ARELLAN.

http://www.ocweekly.com/search/index...%22/limit:700/

Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,206,714 times
Well these aren't hole in the walls but they're cheap and good.

Sam Woo (Irvine) - Chinese food on Culver and Irvine Center Dr, just be very wary when you drive in that shopping center. Also 99 Ranch market is a great grocery store if you need any Asian ingredients or if you want any mochi-type sweets.

Sushi Boy (Irvine) - Japanese food on Culver and Walnut. They've got a variety of sushi instead of those places that seem to only offer one type or a variation of that one type a la california roll. Sushi isn't cheap but if I can afford it, it must be and if I'm recommending it then it's good; not to gloat or anything.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 AM

987 posts, read 1,736,115 times
I know you said no Mexican Food, but this place is well known mainly for its Puerto Rican Dishes

Here's a link from yelp, w/info & reviews, mind you the majority of bad reviews were for the Mexican portion of it....
Senor Big Ed - Cypress, CA

It is a hole in the wall and parking can be a challenge at times, but its only worth it if your in for something different, I love it, because its close as I can to get some boriquen food, (other than flying out to visit the relatives for some, lol)

The pasteles are to die for, the arroz con gandules with pork, any of the green plantain dishes (especially the "mofongo" or any stuffed dishes) delicioso!

I'd also recommend a Cuban Restaurant, but the two in OC I've been to so far, in my opinion were just ok. The closest which is also a Cuban Bakery (Tropicana Bakery & Cuban Cafe), is in Downey--I know a little too far perhaps. (aside from Porto's in Glendale, which is really out of the way)

Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,441,688 times
Not sure about the "Hole in the wall" factor, but there is a new shopping center at Jamboree and Alton - Diamond "Plaza" or something or other - that has several asian restaurants (Japanese, Chinese, Korean,etc.) and it is PACKED like ALL the time, and mostly by Irvine's asian immigrants & ex pats. I've heard some good things about it from some asian friends, but I'm not knowledgable enough about asian cusine to navigate it on my own.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times
Euclid or Broohkurst Streets. Start in Fullerton and eat your way towards the beach.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:52 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,681,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Not sure about the "Hole in the wall" factor, but there is a new shopping center at Jamboree and Alton - Diamond "Plaza" or something or other - that has several asian restaurants (Japanese, Chinese, Korean,etc.) and it is PACKED like ALL the time, and mostly by Irvine's asian immigrants & ex pats. I've heard some good things about it from some asian friends, but I'm not knowledgable enough about asian cusine to navigate it on my own.
It's called Diamond Jamboree. Lots of places there, but most of them expensive. Oddly enough most of the places are open until midnight or later, I guess because there isn't much directly around there but there are plenty of apartments and condos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County