Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 PM

125 posts, read 291,786 times

Advertisements

When you're interviewing for a new job, do you ask the interviewer about what type of raises the company gives?

The reason I ask is that I never used to bring this up in an interview, but then I went from a company who gives an 8% - 10% increase per year, to a company that gives 1% - 3% per year. I didnt ask about raises, so I didnt know the company I went to gave much smaller ones. So I'd like to know beforehand what I should expect with regard to salary increase, but dont know if this is something people normally ask during an interview.

What type of raise do most people typically get per year?? I'm in IT in a salaried position, if anyone is curious about the specific industry.

Your advice would be helpful. Thanks!

[Mod Interpose-- based on later posts, this poster is asking about the Orange County area, not the IT field generally]

Last edited by observer53; 01-31-2011 at 05:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
I would just ask what type of benefits you receive, including chances for promotion, performance increases, etc.

And as an IT worker for the past 15 years, I'd say that your current raise(non-promotion) of 1-3% is the norm and 8-10% is ridiculously high for that industry here.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmh182 View Post
When you're interviewing for a new job, do you ask the interviewer about what type of raises the company gives?

The reason I ask is that I never used to bring this up in an interview, but then I went from a company who gives an 8% - 10% increase per year, to a company that gives 1% - 3% per year. I didnt ask about raises, so I didnt know the company I went to gave much smaller ones. So I'd like to know beforehand what I should expect with regard to salary increase, but dont know if this is something people normally ask during an interview.

What type of raise do most people typically get per year?? I'm in IT in a salaried position, if anyone is curious about the specific industry.

Your advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Shouldn't this be on the employment forum unless it is specific to OC which it doesn't seem to be?

Here are some website that might be helpful:

www.jobvent.com

www.glassdoor.com

Old 01-28-2011, 10:09 PM

I posted it here because I wanted the opinions of OC residents. I'm curious to know what kind of raises are typical in the area, as I'm not very familiar with OC.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmh182 View Post
I posted it here because I wanted the opinions of OC residents. I'm curious to know what kind of raises are typical in the area, as I'm not very familiar with OC.

Not sure how that would help you. Even if ten people replied with their occupations and raises, what is that going to tell you? What conclusions would you be able to draw?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:40 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not sure how that would help you. Even if ten people replied with their occupations and raises, what is that going to tell you? What conclusions would you be able to draw?
Obviously he wants to know what the average is and compare that to what his employer is offering. He would draw the conclusion on whether his company is "average" and on par with other companies in terms of raises or super cheap.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Obviously he wants to know what the average is and compare that to what his employer is offering. He would draw the conclusion on whether his company is "average" and on par with other companies in terms of raises or super cheap.
I understand what he's trying to do; I just question his method.

What would 10 or 100 responses tell him?

It's out of control - random responses from anonymous internet posters. Raises depend performance, tenure, the industry, competition, available funds, etc. None of those would be in control so analyzing an independent variable such as raises is so random there would be hardly any chance of a valid conclusion.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:25 PM

Well then Charles, if you know of a message forum full of Orange County software developers, then please, feel free to post it and I'll ask this question of them. I'm just using the resources that are available, this being one of them.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:12 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Whether the OP gets any information that is useful/meaningful remains to be seen. Discussions of the OP's method in gathering the information are off topic.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Whether the OP gets any information that is useful/meaningful remains to be seen. Discussions of the OP's method in gathering the information are off topic.
Based on all the data points (exactly one, post 2) provided in this thread, we can therefore conclude that the average raise given in Orange County is between 1% and 3%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County