U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 AM

45 posts, read 70,045 times
Default Date ideas (horseback riding, live music)?

Just wondering if anyone has some good ideas on creative places to take a date. I'm taking a woman out on Saturday (I'm 28 male, she's 40). We've seen each other a couple times already and have basically just gone out for some drinks. I'd like to do something a little more fun and a little laid back.

We're both into horseback riding and I had called one of the ranches in los angeles that was supposedly the best but they are all booked up for Saturday. I'm not aware of any other scenic horseback riding trails or ranches in LA, OC or inland empire. If anyone has some suggestions on that I'd appreciate it.

We're also both into classic rock, jazz, and country. I was hoping to find a nice laid back place that we could go listen to some live classic rock on Saturday and maybe do a little bit of dancing. I would prefer to stay away from small hole in the wall bars just because I'd be more comfortable with more people there.

Also, ladies, feel free to chime in if you have any good ideas. The lady i'm seeing is divorced, and has kids so I'd like to take her out for a good time.
We're both originally from the midwest and aren't really into the fast paced fancy clubbing type atmosphere.

I'd prefer to go out in either the orange county or inland empire area since we both live around there. However, if there really is a great place in LA, I'd most likely consider it.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 AM

964 posts, read 1,362,742 times
Rollerblade at beach
Bike ride at beach
Can you paddleboat somewhere around OC?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 AM

Those are great ideas. I'm pretty sure newport harbor has some boat rentals but I'm not sure about paddle boats.

Although, we will be going out in the evening.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 AM

2,404 posts, read 2,010,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Can you paddleboat somewhere around OC?
Probably at Dana Point Harbor. Stop by for lunch at the Harbor Grill.
Dana Point Harbor - What's Going On In Dana Point Harbor?

Try nearby San Juan Capistrano for horseback riding.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM

It looks like it's going to rain this saturday. Any good indoor ideas?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM

964 posts, read 1,362,742 times
Queen Mary
In Los Angeles but a great place for a date: Petersen Automotive Museum

Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,957,937 times
Irvine Park has paddleboat rentals and tons of riding trails. I think they do horse rentals, too. But, I'm pretty sure they don't have evening stuff, I think the park closes at dusk (I could be wrong about that).

For indoor ideas, the Bowers Museum has a really fascinating Ben Franklin Exhibit right now. Bowers | Website

V. =)

Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 AM

26 posts, read 59,971 times
Man, I miss the ole Crazy Horse Saloon... I spent my 21st B Day there with my El Toro Marine husband. Good times...

Used to be, the public could rent horses at the old Trabuco Stables for hourly rides. That was a million years ago, though. Hmmmm....Maybe I oughta think about renting out my horses for O' Neill Park rides?! My insurance gal would freak.

As for evening dates, my hubby gets gold stars when he takes me to the pier in San Clemente... Fisherman's. We hit the happy hour at the Oyster Bar on Friday eves. Good stuff for a buck at sunset.

But being a bit of a Western gal and enjoying gettin all gussied up in my western duds... I'm STILL trying to find a nice spot to go and hear some decent music and not feel out of place. Cook's is a bit roadhouse for me, although I can hear it from the folk's house.

In the decent weather months, it's fun to head over to Trabuco General Store and hear the Hickey Creek Band on Friday nights. Then walk behind the store to the Trabuco Oaks Steak house for some tasty grub. Or over to Rose Cyn Cantina and sit out on the patio. And now all the locals will stone me for giving away that lil secret...

This time of year, it's pretty to drive the Canyons. But you won't see much at night...

I used to like going to Lonestar Steak house- the servers would break out in a line dance once in awhile. I haven't seen that for sometime, though. Maybe Johnny Reb's on Chapman in Orange?

Now I'm sad because I have no where to go this evening that offers me a lil down home! Thanks Zeekosu! If I see a cougar out with a dude in a ten gallon tonight, I'm pinching him!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:16 PM

5,195 posts, read 5,522,494 times
Rent a Duffy Boat in Newport, Huntington or Long Beach
Kayak and SUP rentals are popular. There are also water bike rentals in Long Beach.
Gondola Rides in Newport and Long Beach
I like Sunset Ranch in Hollywood for horseback riding.

Taco Surf Restaurants (Dana Point and Sunset Beach) have a real chill vibe and usually good music.
Don the Beachcomber (Sunset Beach) has a nice Hawaiian show

Knotts is a relatively inexpensive amusement park

Cooks Corner for Drinks and very casual atmosphere

Old 02-26-2011, 04:45 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,935,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmergrl View Post
Man, I miss the ole Crazy Horse Saloon... I spent my 21st B Day there with my El Toro Marine husband. Good times...

Used to be, the public could rent horses at the old Trabuco Stables for hourly rides. That was a million years ago, though. Hmmmm....Maybe I oughta think about renting out my horses for O' Neill Park rides?! My insurance gal would freak.

As for evening dates, my hubby gets gold stars when he takes me to the pier in San Clemente... Fisherman's. We hit the happy hour at the Oyster Bar on Friday eves. Good stuff for a buck at sunset.

But being a bit of a Western gal and enjoying gettin all gussied up in my western duds... I'm STILL trying to find a nice spot to go and hear some decent music and not feel out of place. Cook's is a bit roadhouse for me, although I can hear it from the folk's house.

In the decent weather months, it's fun to head over to Trabuco General Store and hear the Hickey Creek Band on Friday nights. Then walk behind the store to the Trabuco Oaks Steak house for some tasty grub. Or over to Rose Cyn Cantina and sit out on the patio. And now all the locals will stone me for giving away that lil secret...

This time of year, it's pretty to drive the Canyons. But you won't see much at night...

I used to like going to Lonestar Steak house- the servers would break out in a line dance once in awhile. I haven't seen that for sometime, though. Maybe Johnny Reb's on Chapman in Orange?

Now I'm sad because I have no where to go this evening that offers me a lil down home! Thanks Zeekosu! If I see a cougar out with a dude in a ten gallon tonight, I'm pinching him!
Good News for you: There is a Lone Star in Tustin
Bad News: Crazy Horse is long gone..... I think they moved to the Spectrum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County