Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldream View Post
There is no way anybody can claim that Chicago winters are short--unless you are a Polar Bear. I've lived in Illinois 27 years and currently I live 80 miles west of Chicago and winters are harsh and long--sometimes up to 5-6 months depending on how you define winter. If, like me, you define it by freezing temperatures, snow, running the furnace, etc. then they certainly can be like that. Expect snow, cold and worse from Nov. 1 through the end of March. No, I am done with it. As soon as I have the chance, I am moving somewhere more temperate, like Southern California.
I stand by what I said. Our first snow was December 1. It warmed up mid-March. Three months is no big deal, despite having record snowfall. And now spring rains are here. Sure, California is sunny and warm, but you also have droughts and your landscape will fry without water. I never water my grass or flowerbeds. They just grow.

It's forecast to reach the low 60s today, same as Orange County.

I do come from Swedish stock, so maybe I am hardier than you are. But I am willing to endure the winters here to enjoy the other beautiful seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 03:42 PM

115 posts, read 231,689 times
Uh, I beg to differ. It's rainy and very windy and 41F today, not very March "warm-up." The ten day forecast has freezing low temperatures for nearly a week or more so forget about March being warm. I thought the same thing about 3 month winter, but in actuality, you have to count November and April, too. I haven't even gotten into the days of gloom. And on top of that, the state budget is majorly in debt, politics are the most corrupt in the country, and at least locally, infrastructure is crumbling along with the potholes in the road.

My favorite season, summer, is beautiful here but marred by mosquitoes and heavy rains. There just seems to be no time of year that is pleasant to be outside, and I am an outdoor educator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I stand by what I said. Our first snow was December 1. It warmed up mid-March. Three months is no big deal, despite having record snowfall. And now spring rains are here. Sure, California is sunny and warm, but you also have droughts and your landscape will fry without water. I never water my grass or flowerbeds. They just grow.

It's forecast to reach the low 60s today, same as Orange County.

I do come from Swedish stock, so maybe I am hardier than you are. But I am willing to endure the winters here to enjoy the other beautiful seasons.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldream View Post
Uh, I beg to differ. It's rainy and very windy and 41F today, not very March "warm-up." The ten day forecast has freezing low temperatures for nearly a week or more so forget about March being warm. I thought the same thing about 3 month winter, but in actuality, you have to count November and April, too. I haven't even gotten into the days of gloom. And on top of that, the state budget is majorly in debt, politics are the most corrupt in the country, and at least locally, infrastructure is crumbling along with the potholes in the road.

My favorite season, summer, is beautiful here but marred by mosquitoes and heavy rains. There just seems to be no time of year that is pleasant to be outside, and I am an outdoor educator.
OK, different strokes, I guess. It you hate where you live, nobody will be able to talk you out of it. There are lots of people over in the Illinois forums who don't mind the weather. It has its issues just like any state, including California.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Are they back yet

Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Are they back yet
They will be back because it's so-o-o cold there.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
They wont be back. People are leaving california in Droves. Unless 4 months of winter or not being able to sun tan all day really is that detrimental to your life style you will love chicago. It offers more as a city then anything in California. The suburbs offer good schools and low crime at half the cost of Orange county. Oh and lake Michigan in the summer gets as warm as the pacific in the summer.

I grew up in Wheaton and Glen Ellyn, down the road from the city JustJulia lives in now, and she's been pretty spot on.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 AM

199 posts, read 618,409 times
I'll have to agree with socaldream. I'm a Chicago (not suburban) native. The weather can be dreadful in Chicago along with the politics. Chicago also boasts the highest sales taxes in the US. Our beloved governor, Pat Quinn, has also raised the Illinois state income tax, license plate fees, driver's license fee, etc. Businesses are running for other states. Just today I read that Caterpillar is thinking of moving out of Illinois, thanks Pat! And if you choose to live in the Chicagoland area, you'll also have to purchase a "city sticker" for your vehicle; doesn't matter what 'burb as they all require them. Add high heating bills from November thru April and flooding rains and severe thunderstorms plus a helping of snow and you'll wish you never moved here. I know I do. I lived in OC for nine years back in the 70's and 80's and moved back to "Sweet Home Chicago" because I'm an idiot. I'm in the process of selling my home and am moving back to OC. Goodbye Chicago for good!

Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiojunkie2006 View Post
I'll have to agree with socaldream. I'm a Chicago (not suburban) native. The weather can be dreadful in Chicago along with the politics. Chicago also boasts the highest sales taxes in the US. Our beloved governor, Pat Quinn, has also raised the Illinois state income tax, license plate fees, driver's license fee, etc. Businesses are running for other states. Just today I read that Caterpillar is thinking of moving out of Illinois, thanks Pat! And if you choose to live in the Chicagoland area, you'll also have to purchase a "city sticker" for your vehicle; doesn't matter what 'burb as they all require them. Add high heating bills from November thru April and flooding rains and severe thunderstorms plus a helping of snow and you'll wish you never moved here. I know I do. I lived in OC for nine years back in the 70's and 80's and moved back to "Sweet Home Chicago" because I'm an idiot. I'm in the process of selling my home and am moving back to OC. Goodbye Chicago for good!
Simple solution - vote those idiots out of office. Lower taxes and get rid of the city stickers.

Voters have the power to change things. If it's so bad, why isn't anyone taking the initiative?

Remember California's Proposition 13?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 PM

32 posts, read 61,104 times
I have lived in both Chicago and the 'burbs, and I can't wait to get out of here and re-locate to Laguna Beach or any other coastal beach town. To me, there are actually some similarities between Orange County and the Chicago area. Chicago real estate can get pretty outrageous for the average Joe (college educated person making $60,000 plus). Chicago and it's desirable 'burbs are very expensive with high taxes. I have lived in Glen Ellyn and Elmhurst, and unless you have $450,000 you will be in a 1970's dump that has never been updated. Or you could go live in a cornfield in Plainfield or Oswego and hang out at Target because there is no city center to go to. It's terribly ugly here in the winter, and the cold, snow, and ice are awful. The north shore is great if you are a millionaire. Even rents are expensive. To live in a nice area that is not crime ridden you are going to pay at least $1500 a month. I would gladly pay a Laguna Beach rent of $1895 or more to live by the beach and enjoy the ocean breezes!

Old 03-27-2011, 03:02 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
They wont be back. People are leaving california in Droves. Unless 4 months of winter or not being able to sun tan all day really is that detrimental to your life style you will love chicago. It offers more as a city then anything in California. The suburbs offer good schools and low crime at half the cost of Orange county. Oh and lake Michigan in the summer gets as warm as the pacific in the summer.

I grew up in Wheaton and Glen Ellyn, down the road from the city JustJulia lives in now, and she's been pretty spot on.
I actually agree with you this time NorCal Dude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County