U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,351 times
Default Leaving Laguna Beach for Chicago

I'm relocating from Laguna Beach to Chicago in 4 months. I'm going to miss living here (esp. the weather!).

I'm wondering if anyone from OC is also familiar with Chicago and could recommend some Chicago neighborhoods or suburbs. I know we won't get anything like Laguna in Chicago, but I'd appreciate a little of the same type of charm and beauty of Laguna. I'm actually in Chicago this week checking out neighborhoods. So far we've been focusing in the northern suburbs, but I've heard the western suburbs are more similar in vibe.

I'd like to get an OC perspective on this, so I'm posting in this forum.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM

964 posts, read 1,420,069 times
You'll be back within two years. I guarantee it.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM

5,070 posts, read 4,808,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPatz View Post
I know we won't get anything like Laguna in Chicago, but I'd appreciate a little of the same type of charm and beauty of Laguna. I'd like to get an OC perspective on this, so I'm posting in this forum.
Kenilworth, Wilmette, some parts of Evanston. Yes, you will miss Laguna Beach!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:47 AM

15,820 posts, read 30,242,601 times
I cannot help with names of neighborhoods, but I have a lot of friends who live in Chicago and love it there. The City is made up of various little villiages around the city (goups of homes surrounding a shopping and dining district almost liek a small town. There are also neighborhoods ajdoiing downtown.

MAny of the little villiage like areas are really nice, but the nicer ones are really expensive. I would live downtown. Chicago is a fun lively town. It is abotu as different from OC as you can get. Not just the weather, it is a city and there are no cities in OC. It is gritty tough and industrial while OC tensds to be pampered, prissy and stylish. I know people who prefer Chicago over OC, but they are in the minority, mostly because of the weather. If you really hate the weather, you cna avoid it. I know a gal who lived on the 10th floor of a building in Chicago worked in an office on another flow. Shopped onthe lower floors, joined a health club in the building, etc. She did not leave the building one time from December through April. I would not want ot live that way, but she loved it.

You may find that you love the winter, but you will have to get away from Chicago to love winter. Winter can be pleasant and fun, but rarely when it is windy and it is usually windy in Chicago.

Come back and tell us what you think after you move.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. We've driven around Wilmette, and I love the brick streets and it has architectural charm. But, the whole area seems a bit...uptight? Maybe because it's winter, but it also seems too quiet.

Any other recommendations would be helpful! In addition to looking at specific houses, we're also trying to drive around various neighborhoods to get a feel for the different areas, and get a sense of the commute (both of our jobs will be downtown). I feel like Laguna is a bit of a "hidden gem" (well, hidden in the sense that it's a relatively small area that's unlike much of OC, and is set apart). I'm sure there's an area like that somewhere in or near Chicago! Just need to find it!

Edit: I wanted to add that I'm posting here under the OC forum because I'm not sure people in Chicago will get what I'm looking for if they're not familiar with Laguna.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,989,900 times
I don't think you'll find something similar to Laguna Beach in Chicago.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:54 PM

394 posts, read 483,426 times
The Metra / Pacific Northwest train runs from downtown and gives you lots of options. If you head north on the train you will pass thru Crystal Lake and Woodstock on your way to Harvard. I have a Cali friend who has lived in Crystal Lake for many years and loves it - although she still wants to move back to Seal Beach. I have never been there but she tells me it's a nice place to raise a family.

My best friend moved to Chicago from Long Beach 4 years ago. His job relocated to Harvard and he bought a house in Woodstock last spring. I visited last summer and it is the coolest little old town. (Check the linkie below) But when I was there last July it was HOT and HUMID with mosquitoes aplenty. And this winter has been horrible for the entire midwest. He would love to come back to Long Beach but...

Shaumberg is not bad either. It's outside the city but it's a comfortable suburban setting with a shopping mall and all of the amenities.

The train cost $7.00 one way from O'Hare to Woodstock and takes about 45 - 50 minutes. Add another 10 to 15 mins and a couple bucks for the leg between O'Hare and the downtown station. I rode it and was really happy - and so was my friend cause he didn't have to hassle the nightmare that is O'Hare! lol

So, consider all of your options.

Woodstock, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's nice - but it's certainly no Laguna Beach!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:59 PM

844 posts, read 968,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPatz View Post
I'm relocating from Laguna Beach to Chicago in 4 months. I'm going to miss living here (esp. the weather!).

I'm wondering if anyone from OC is also familiar with Chicago and could recommend some Chicago neighborhoods or suburbs. I know we won't get anything like Laguna in Chicago, but I'd appreciate a little of the same type of charm and beauty of Laguna. I'm actually in Chicago this week checking out neighborhoods. So far we've been focusing in the northern suburbs, but I've heard the western suburbs are more similar in vibe.

I'd like to get an OC perspective on this, so I'm posting in this forum.
If you want to be downtown (good idea if your work is in town), check out the Lincoln Park area. My mother grew up in the Morgan Park area but I have no idea whether or not that's still a decent area. Anyone know?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:47 AM

21,258 posts, read 11,786,923 times
The only suburb I actively like is Long Grove. I have a relative who lives nearby. It's been years since I was there, but they have a lot of small shops and places to eat. Quaint would be the word, I think. A bit like LB's downtown. It's in a very pretty area. 35 miles NW of Chicago:

www.longgroveonline.com/

Old 02-28-2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the tip on Long Grove--no one else had mentioned it to us. I'll check it out. Also, we drove through this area called the Glen in Glenview. It didn't remind me of Laguna Beach, but it did remind me of inland OC, and it seemed more lively. I'll ask more about this area in the Chicago suburbs forum, but I'd be interested in opinions.

Skelaki--we've looked at Lincoln Park as well, which is nice, but we're concerned about schools and crime. It seems like really nice areas are quite close to subsidized housing. We don't know how long we'll be here, and everyone I've spoken with has said we can expect to pay private school tuition for high school if our kids don't get into a selective admissions school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County