Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,943,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
OP, since you have a family, you may want to consider the fact that Huntington Beach is now the Drunk Driving Capital of California. There‘s lots of "colorful" boozing, barfing and driving under the influence going on there. "South Siders," "Skin Heads," "PeckerWoods," and "Nazi Low Riders," all major gangs (there are even more-minor clubs for thugs), also help to keep things "interesting" in Huntington Beach. Drug-dealing and violence, what would life there be without them? Oh, let's not forget chop shops and other garages, since HB has more of them than parks and trails.

Seriously though, I would suggest finding something close to Carson.
This is total garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times
Quote:
OP, since you have a family, you may want to consider the fact that Huntington Beach is now the Drunk Driving Capital of California. There‘s lots of "colorful" boozing, barfing and driving under the influence going on there. "South Siders," "Skin Heads," "PeckerWoods," and "Nazi Low Riders," all major gangs (there are even more-minor clubs for thugs), also help to keep things "interesting" in Huntington Beach. Drug-dealing and violence, what would life there be without them? Oh, let's not forget chop shops and other garages, since HB has more of them than parks and trails. .
What are you smoking? Have you even been in Huntington Beach?

(btw: most of the DUIs and other trouble comes from out-of-towners (read South County and 909ers) who can't seem to hold their liquor or drink responsibly. That happens in Beach Towns where people do have real fun.

Thank god we have a police force that takes these imbeciles of the road before they do any damage.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,634,053 times
Quote:
What are you smoking?
You’re upset, but what was I thinking? I forgot to include these thug clubs: Amberleaf, Brown Pride, Motown and PEN1.

As far as ETOH is concerned, well:

Huntington Beach is No. 1 in . . . DUI Collisions (D'oh!)
Huntington Beach is No. 1 in . . . DUI Collisions (D'oh!) - Orange County News - Navel Gazing

Calif. city considers DUI mug shots on Facebook
Calif. city considers DUI mug shots on Facebook - Boston.com

Huntington Beach is ranked top in the state for alcohol-related traffic deaths.
Huntington Beach DUI: Huntington Beach Rejects Posting Repeat DUI Offenders' Pictures on Facebook - ktla.com

Gangs are an HB reality, although there is still much more to the city:

Breaking News
Cops: OC White Power Gang "Disrupted" in Undercover Sting
Cops: OC White Power Gang "Disrupted" in Undercover Sting - Orange County News - Navel Gazing

Four primary gangs which exist in Huntington Beach are "South Siders", "Skin Heads", "PeckerWoods" and "Nazi Low Riders".
City of Huntington Beach, California - PD - Special Investigation

Four Skinheads' Attempt at Racial Holy War Turned Into a Slater Slums Smackdown
Four Skinheads' Attempt at Racial Holy War Turned Into a Slater Slums Smackdown - Page 2 - News - Orange County - OC Weekly

Enough, let the OP have her thread back.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-01-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times
Didn't that drunk guido run down a football coach in the aliso viejo town center parking lot? Just saying that HB is not alone in dui problems and that many of HB's dui problems are not from city residents but from outsiders.

You may be surprised that AV also has white supremist groups.

I know Aliso Viejo very well. You can see some of my graphic design work all over the city, on many projects.
Its a nice, but very sterile community. Which suites many people just fine. Im not one of them.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,198 times
As nice as Aliso Viejo is, it's way too far from Carson to do both ways every day. Your lives will be full of regret if you even attempt that.

Torrance is nice, but if you want something sure to be safe and good for children with good schools, go to Redondo Beach or Hermosa Beach. They're not too far from Carson, and they're safe and good as can be.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:25 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,264,872 times
You best look in areas north of Carson. It is difficult to commute northbound in the mornings, but easy to commute southbound. An "hour" away might be more like 30 miles not 60 miles... I'd pick Torrance or Santa Monica.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,943,285 times
Quote:
You’re upset, but what was I thinking? I forgot to include these thug clubs: Amberleaf, Brown Pride, Motown and PEN1.

As far as ETOH is concerned, well:

Huntington Beach is No. 1 in . . . DUI Collisions (D'oh!)
Huntington Beach is No. 1 in . . . DUI Collisions (D'oh!) - Orange County News - Navel Gazing

Calif. city considers DUI mug shots on Facebook
Calif. city considers DUI mug shots on Facebook - Boston.com

Huntington Beach is ranked top in the state for alcohol-related traffic deaths.
Huntington Beach DUI: Huntington Beach Rejects Posting Repeat DUI Offenders' Pictures on Facebook - ktla.com

Gangs are an HB reality, although there is still much more to the city:

Breaking News
Cops: OC White Power Gang "Disrupted" in Undercover Sting
Cops: OC White Power Gang "Disrupted" in Undercover Sting - Orange County News - Navel Gazing

Four primary gangs which exist in Huntington Beach are "South Siders", "Skin Heads", "PeckerWoods" and "Nazi Low Riders".
City of Huntington Beach, California - PD - Special Investigation

Four Skinheads' Attempt at Racial Holy War Turned Into a Slater Slums Smackdown
Four Skinheads' Attempt at Racial Holy War Turned Into a Slater Slums Smackdown - Page 2 - News - Orange County - OC Weekly

Enough, let the OP have her thread back.
You are cherry picking a few sensationalized news stories and trying to say HB is this bad place ... you are totally incorrect ... but if those thoughts keep you out of HB then please keep thinking that way.

I've lived in Torrance, Redondo and work in Manhattan and will take Huntington Beach any day over those cities. Huntington Beach is a great city.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 PM

47 posts, read 253,436 times
Thanks everyone. A current client of mine is from Santa Monica and suggested I focus my attention there. However, my partner's new boss is suggesting something NE of LA near the hills. That looks to be a 2-3 hour commute.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:55 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,580,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missikie View Post
Thanks everyone. A current client of mine is from Santa Monica and suggested I focus my attention there. However, my partner's new boss is suggesting something NE of LA near the hills. That looks to be a 2-3 hour commute.

Funny how crazy people's suggestions are huh?

Basically you have the following nice areas available to you within a one hour morning and evening commute to Carson:

Huntington Beach*
Roosmoor*
Ceritos*
La Palma*
Los Alamitos*
Seal Beach*
Lakewood
Bellflower
Downey
Parts of Long Beach
All South Bay*
Culver City

The places with * have very good schools and are very safe communities. Culver City and Lakewood are safe with merely above average schools. Downey and Bellflower are mostly quite safe and feature average and below average schools.

Of course price may be prohibitive in most of those places. Current rent of 1800/mo will get you into anywhere. But right now the $275-325K range will only get you into Bellflower and Downey where schools are likely not good. That will change in a couple years, maybe sooner, and I believe Lakewood will fall down close to that range(Currently prices are $350-450 for 1500sq ft 3 bd/2ba). In Lakewood you want a place where the high school will be Mayfair(Bellflower school district) or Lakewood High School(Long Beach school district). In Lakewood, you DO NOT want an area that feeds into Paramount School District.

FWIW, Gardena has a large population of Japanese Americans and corresponding restaurants and stores. Its not a far drove.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:15 PM

47 posts, read 253,436 times
Thank you JohnG72. I will look into the areas you suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County