U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 05:12 PM

8 posts, read 17,485 times

Advertisements

Orange County - Newport Beach, CA Apartments and Rentals - Coronado at Newport North and South

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get your opinions on the Coronado North Apartments in Newport Beach. I know that the place has received a TON of bad reviews, but I have to say that considering the area, it seems very affordable. I am in my mid-20's and will be a grad student at UC Irvine in the Fall. I want to live in a studio that is in a convenient location to school and has a lot to do in the surrounding area. I have a friend who lives here and she has no problem with the apartment whatsoever. In fact, she was surprised it got so many bad reviews online. She did mention that she lived in the North apartments and they were recently renovated.

Here are the pro's and con's of what I've heard about the apt:

PRO's
- Affordable for Newport Beach
- Convenient for UC Irvine students

CON'S
- Difficult management
- People are always partying
- Tenants don't cleanup after their dogs
- Parking situation is horrible

Anyone care to elaborate or have any particular feelings about this place? Has it gotten better over time? Any alternatives you have in mind?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 AM

4,971 posts, read 6,373,831 times
Quote:
I am in my mid-20's and will be a grad student at UC Irvine in the Fall. I want to live in a studio that is in a convenient location to school and has a lot to do in the surrounding area.
Quote:
- People are always partying
As a grad student, if you’re really serious about your studies, you won’t have much leisure time. Also, nothing is more annoying for grad students than to live around noisy partying undergrads. Why not just find a quiet and well-managed place in Irvine? Beige boxes have their place.

You could still travel to Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, San Clemente, San Diego, or wherever, on weekends.

Just one more thing, there must be a reason why the apartments are "Affordable for Newport Beach."

Last edited by pacific2; 03-23-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 12,825 times
I have a friend that lives there too. Very cheap but very loud, all the time. Not very clean either, IMO.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:56 PM

21 posts, read 110,909 times
Default You get what you pay for....

....if it's one thing I have always been able to count on, it's the honesty and frankness of the community on City-Data.

After 11 years in Florida, I'm serious on a relo back to California. I'm still absorbing that statement as I write it...lol

Chief areas of concern for me are still: schools & quality of life.

I viewed this property online and few others plus a search on Craigslist. Very curious how some people are desperate to get out of their leases at this complex, to the point of forfeiting their deposit, etc. Okay, it's not for everyone.

It's a challenge for me to consider choosing this property since they've no in-unit washer/dryer. Not only is there no enclosed garage...no w/d. Unreal. It has a lazy pool, and looks like it'd be a very social setting. It's across the street from the high school, which certainly is my #1 on the list of Wants.

Best thing to do if you're shopping for an apartment, prioritize your pros & cons. Its an enormous help to have the list ahead of time and then go on your own ratings.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 AM

21 posts, read 110,909 times
Yes, I actually moved into Coronado North. High school across the street, an excellent school with an IB program and why I applied online from Florida (signed & sealed before I arrived). The Coronados are walking distance to everything (groceries, banks, Rx, great restaurants) and hey, not one but three (3) coffee houses - Keane, Peets and Starbucks.

But.....................more times than not, it was like living back in a college dorm. With my kids. So wrong. It was enough of a transition to move from home with pool to massive apartment complex with resort pool area, but the partying from various balconies was atrociously annoying. If you're looking there, get the third floor, facing West. Sunsets & breezes.

We completely appreciated the convenience, especially since we had an athlete in the family and practice was just "across the street". As I came to know the area better, there was an apparant stigma to the complex, as in Party Central. The list that ee05 posted is quite valid. As transitionary housing, it's fine. Management is very good at negotiating lease terms. It's not where I'd consider a long term residency for a family or if quiet is a definite requirement. We moved shortly after my son graduated in June. Oh yes, parking was a horrendous issue. Horrendous. Rents are seasonal. There's a premium hike between May - August.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
CHANGING RATES IN MID CONTRACT. DECEPTION! We moved in here 3 years ago. We have renewed our lease twice. We were thinking about staying another year until they decided that parking here was a privilege other than a right.

Before, all of the center parking was available to us, upstairs and downstairs garage, now they are converting the downstairs garage space into private parking in order to gouge their tenants of $50 extra per month. If I knew this would be the case, I would not have renewed my lease. I am reviewing the contract to see if this is entrapment.

Other issues, constant problems with car damage through endless construction on 16th street. 3 car burglaries in the short time we have lived here. Maintenance, very slow to respond to requests. Too noisy, and too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or