Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:22 PM

26 posts, read 68,014 times

Advertisements

Rosie, Thanks for your input. As far as the relocation money, it will be $5k - taxes. It'll be around $3500. However, I'm also receiving a retention check (basically for not ditching my job). This is $3k, minus the taxes, it'll be around $1900. I was including both figures together for the sum of my relocating expenses. Taxes stink!

As for the medical, I'll give you the link once I'm home. It was actually for both in and out patient care. Realize 100% may not be covered, however, as long as a good portion of it is, it would be helpful.

We have been together for 6 years. Love each other to death, however we both kind of decided marriage just isn't for us. Why ruin a good thing
Conversely I HAVE been looking at the domestic partner law that is available in CA. We have joint bank accouts etc, and my works insurance DOES recognize Domestic Partnerships. So, though insurance will be considerably higher, they will cover her. So If worst comes to worst, we may look at that as an option. Any thoughts on that, I'm up for input!

I know it's going to be different than in Ohio here. However, though there are both social and economical problems in CA, I can assure you Cleveland is no better... Industry here is terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 04:18 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJC View Post
Rosie, Thanks for your input. As far as the relocation money, it will be $5k - taxes. It'll be around $3500. However, I'm also receiving a retention check (basically for not ditching my job). This is $3k, minus the taxes, it'll be around $1900. I was including both figures together for the sum of my relocating expenses. Taxes stink!

As for the medical, I'll give you the link once I'm home. It was actually for both in and out patient care. Realize 100% may not be covered, however, as long as a good portion of it is, it would be helpful.

We have been together for 6 years. Love each other to death, however we both kind of decided marriage just isn't for us. Why ruin a good thing
Conversely I HAVE been looking at the domestic partner law that is available in CA. We have joint bank accouts etc, and my works insurance DOES recognize Domestic Partnerships. So, though insurance will be considerably higher, they will cover her. So If worst comes to worst, we may look at that as an option. Any thoughts on that, I'm up for input!

I know it's going to be different than in Ohio here. However, though there are both social and economical problems in CA, I can assure you Cleveland is no better... Industry here is terrible.

JT...so glad you had the tax aspect figured in...many years ago we had a next door neighbor..a VP of an international company believe it or not..he was moving from somewhere in the Midwest..and was given a HUGE reloc to help him buy a house here in the land of way overpriced homes..likely over 75 K..maybe more..two years later the IRS caught up with them..they owed over 25 K in back taxes...which obviously they did not have (call them those in OC that live wayyy beyond their means..never save for a rainy day etc...)..my hubby simply could NOT believe that this guy..a VP level exec did NOT to his homework (as you did!!) and then cried in his beer when the tax man came for his share..

when they moved ..they left a home with NO carpets or wood floors..yep..they had stripped it all down to the cement slab..then ran out of $$$$...we had bought a new side by side refrig since our freezer had died..they saw it in our driveway waiting to be hauled away..and asked if they could have it..think they lived at least 6 months with a non functioning freezer (he was probably making 150K then and she also had a job..)

ahhh..yes we DO recognize domestic partners!! very good idea..have gay/lesbian friends who are paying for one partner's share of health ins..remember that "employee based " health insurance cannot have pre existing conditions excluded (unless things change..or have changed)..but that is a great idea...

would still love to see that link..as in my years as a nurse practitioner about the best I could suggest is MediCal..and again..it is not always very good ..yep..OK for emergencies etc...but is income based..

you have really impressed me..your lady is lucky to have you...

keep up the great planning

one last ??..why two 2011 cars????? we pay cash for our cars now that hubby doesn't get a company car (we are both retired)....we buy American..I drive a 2007 Cadillac SRX...LOVEEEE it..and hubby has a 2008 Silverado truck...oh..forgot about the Red Corvette convertible he never drives..grandkids call it his "toy car".....we have been together 35 years..have never leased or bought a car without cash..no..not bragging "much"...

keep in touch..you do know that car registration and insurance is based upon year of car??

Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Rosie,

Our cars, both 2011 - yes. We both just got them. I know - Why get new cars when she'll be unemployed, and when I'm transferring to a new "expenisive" area.

The reason I got mine was because I actually ruined mine in an accident. My car was old, and evidently sliding into a snowbank isn't good for your rims/suspension/doors/and anything else on the car . I had a lot of damage and it wasn't worth it to fix. We don't have ultra expensive cars.
I bought a new Chevy Cruze. Econo car, but very nice. I don't really live above my means. (FYI the accident was caused by about snow - about a foot of it, over ice. I was only going maybe 10 mph in my apartment parking lot). I was kind of "forced into it".

Her car is a Kia Soul - it's actually a lease. Her car was on the fritz. And if we're moving across country, I DON'T want her driving a beater. It's also an econo car. Again, nothing fancy, but still nice and reliable. It's also nice having full warranties.

I know the registration is based on the year of the car. Unfortunately it'll be expensive. I've already went on the CA motor vehicles site to find the estimate of the costs (which i've accounted for, and tacked on a few extra bucks for padding). Better safe than sorry. The insurance, i've already called and got a quote for both. Again, I tacked on a few dollars incase anything mysteriously "changes" and increases.

The Medi-Cal is actually what I was looking at. Like I said, I understand it will not be fully covered, and I'm okay with paying a fraction of the bill as is she. Her mom is calling a few of the hospitals, and Medi-Cal directly to get more info on this and clarification. We obviously haven't used the program, and I can only judge by what I see online, the people i've spoken to, and through what I've read. Again, if need be - we'll go the Domestic Partner route. I heard that they couldn't deny the coverage based on pre-existing conditions, though I wasn't 100% sure (though I'm glad you made mention of it). I still have a sit-down scheduled with my HR rep to go over this with. She'll then get clarification from the insurance company.

It's a big move, and I'm nervous - almost terrified, as is she.
However, I really don't want to grow old and stay planted here and think "what if". Still, this is scary/fun/stressfull/exciting/terrifying and a mix of a whole lot of emotions... If i'm living in a cardboard box on Venice beach in a year, make sure to stop by and say "hi".

Old 04-13-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Rosie,

Our cars, both 2011 - yes. We both just got them. I know - Why get new cars when she'll be unemployed, and when I'm transferring to a new "expenisive" area.

The reason I got mine was because I actually ruined mine in an accident. My car was old, and evidently sliding into a snowbank isn't good for your rims/suspension/doors/and anything else on the car . I had a lot of damage and it wasn't worth it to fix. We don't have ultra expensive cars.
I bought a new Chevy Cruze. Econo car, but very nice. I don't really live above my means. (FYI the accident was caused by about snow - about a foot of it, over ice. I was only going maybe 10 mph in my apartment parking lot). I was kind of "forced into it".

Her car is a Kia Soul - it's actually a lease. Her car was on the fritz. And if we're moving across country, I DON'T want her driving a beater. It's also an econo car. Again, nothing fancy, but still nice and reliable. It's also nice having full warranties.

I know the registration is based on the year of the car. Unfortunately it'll be expensive. I've already went on the CA motor vehicles site to find the estimate of the costs (which i've accounted for, and tacked on a few extra bucks for padding). Better safe than sorry. The insurance, i've already called and got a quote for both. Again, I tacked on a few dollars incase anything mysteriously "changes" and increases.

The Medi-Cal is actually what I was looking at. Like I said, I understand it will not be fully covered, and I'm okay with paying a fraction of the bill as is she. Her mom is calling a few of the hospitals, and Medi-Cal directly to get more info on this and clarification. We obviously haven't used the program, and I can only judge by what I see online, the people i've spoken to, and through what I've read. Again, if need be - we'll go the Domestic Partner route. I heard that they couldn't deny the coverage based on pre-existing conditions, though I wasn't 100% sure (though I'm glad you made mention of it). I still have a sit-down scheduled with my HR rep to go over this with. She'll then get clarification from the insurance company.

It's a big move, and I'm nervous - almost terrified, as is she.
However, I really don't want to grow old and stay planted here and think "what if". Still, this is scary/fun/stressfull/exciting/terrifying and a mix of a whole lot of emotions... If i'm living in a cardboard box on Venice beach in a year, make sure to stop by and say "hi".

OK you are cleared on the cars!!

I was afraid it was MediCal..just be very very careful...it is not just a situation where you will be a part...it is either she gets it..or she doesn't...it is income based health coverage for the indigent..a single person..likely would be considered indigent if only source of income is probably less than 1 K a month..families..numbers of children can have higher levels..but not much...

Make sure she finds out first...before she takes a job that will put her income eligibility over the limit..they will drop her like a hotcake...

yes MediCal is healthcare...but sorry to say not likely to be what she is receiving from the Clinic..not trying to burst your bubble..just a warning...

again..emergency rooms HAVE to accept you insured or not..other providers likely will not..they esp do not like any govt funded programs since their reimbursement levels are incredibly low...

UCLA obviously will say they will accept her if she has MediCal..but first she has to qualify for it...it pretty much is an all or nothing situation (not like Medicare which all Americans over 65 get)..it is income based...

think carefully and continue to do your due diligence on this..

again..good luck..I am sure you will not be homeless

btw..our car registration is based upon the VALUE of the car,,so you should be OK...tho there may be an issue with the state demanding you pay our state taxes on the value of those cars...

Old 04-13-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
OK you are cleared on the cars!!

I was afraid it was MediCal..just be very very careful...it is not just a situation where you will be a part...it is either she gets it..or she doesn't...it is income based health coverage for the indigent..a single person..likely would be considered indigent if only source of income is probably less than 1 K a month..families..numbers of children can have higher levels..but not much...

Make sure she finds out first...before she takes a job that will put her income eligibility over the limit..they will drop her like a hotcake...

yes MediCal is healthcare...but sorry to say not likely to be what she is receiving from the Clinic..not trying to burst your bubble..just a warning...

again..emergency rooms HAVE to accept you insured or not..other providers likely will not..they esp do not like any govt funded programs since their reimbursement levels are incredibly low...

UCLA obviously will say they will accept her if she has MediCal..but first she has to qualify for it...it pretty much is an all or nothing situation (not like Medicare which all Americans over 65 get)..it is income based...

think carefully and continue to do your due diligence on this..

again..good luck..I am sure you will not be homeless

btw..our car registration is based upon the VALUE of the car,,so you should be OK...tho there may be an issue with the state demanding you pay our state taxes on the value of those cars...

btw..you can also google MediCal on Ca.gov website and search under MediCal eligibility..there are forms to fill out there..

Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,065 times
Just moved from Cleve. I know a little about social services out here b/c it is my occupational background. Be wary, A lot of people fall through the cracks with Medi-Cal. If she could not get medicaid in OH, it is very likely she won't qualify for Medi-cal. A couple things to keep in mind, EVERYTHING is more expensive,and don't assume your girlfriend can get a job right away. We moved out here budgeted (at least for a while) for living off just my spouses job,but assuming I would get a job-Masters degree, excellent background and work history in my field, etc. I started applying for positions -many below my experience and education level- about 2-3 months before I got here in December. I have yet to get an interview after 40 some applications! If someone had told me 6 months ago this would happen I would think they were crazy. I now volunteer at a county agency and as a research assistant at major university-neither dept has any jobs but I just need local experience and networking at this point. I have gone to a few career workshops and am hearing people from HR depts saying post grad workers are trying to get jobs as receptionists for $11 an hour. Despite this we would not change a thing. I love it here, but you really need to prepare for scenerios you cannot imagine.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Where in Cleveland are/were you from?

Thanks for the input. I'm actually quite terrified, though I feel as though I've done as much research as possible. I have a bit to go still on the medical stuff though; investigating more programs or outlets for help.

What area out there did you settle in, and how much is it a month, if you don't mind my asking. I'm looking at Belmont Heights, Lakewood, and the Arts District in Long Beach. I'm so unbelievably nervous. And I'm so worried about the job market for her. I'm pretty sure we will be okay for at least the first 5 or six months. If we can make it past that, and she finds a job, we should be okay. It's just fear of the unknown, and expensive!!! We are just looking for a studio or 1 br for $1k or under in a safe place. I'm a ball of stress!!!!

How did you guys transport your belongings/furniture?

And... Thank you!!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Where in Cleveland are/were you from?

Thanks for the input. I'm actually quite terrified, though I feel as though I've done as much research as possible. I have a bit to go still on the medical stuff though; investigating more programs or outlets for help.

What area out there did you settle in, and how much is it a month, if you don't mind my asking. I'm looking at Belmont Heights, Lakewood, and the Arts District in Long Beach. I'm so unbelievably nervous. And I'm so worried about the job market for her. I'm pretty sure we will be okay for at least the first 5 or six months. If we can make it past that, and she finds a job, we should be okay. It's just fear of the unknown, and expensive!!! We are just looking for a studio or 1 br for $1k or under in a safe place. I'm a ball of stress!!!!

How did you guys transport your belongings/furniture?

And... Thank you!!!!

hey you...calm down!!!! not exactly sure of your age..but you are very mature or organized...remember that you have and are doing the VERY best in pre moving stuff...

can't help you on the living areas..my contribution was in the healthcare coverage for your lady..hoping you are making progress on that...once I heard the term "mediCal" I was getting nervous..

I moved from the East in 68..my 18 year old brother drove with me..in a VW Bug!! it was fun...at the time I was 24 and had my RN..arrived with no Ca license,,nor job..luckily times were different then..getting both was a breeze..

I packed the bug with as much (little) as I could..and shipped ahead a large trunk..didn't have furniture..luckily found a furnished apt and gradually added the rest..dishes pots linens etc..

personally I would not move anything that could can buy cheaper out here than the moving would cost...just an idea..

again..calm down..you will do fine...

good luck

Old 04-16-2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks Rosie. Just a typical freak out. Having lots of those lately. It's that whole "fear of the unknown" thing! I'm 34 Rosie.

On another note... Can anyone tell me how stupidly long this drive would be. It's the way I'd go to work, if I should reside in Belmont Shore. I'd be driving from Belmont Shore to Carson. Google maps estimates it at 17 miles, taking 26 minutes. I'm assumming with traffic that 26 minutes is laughable at best.

Route would generally be I-405 North to I-710 North to CA-91. How terrible will this end up being realistically? If anyone can shed some light, I'd be really thankful!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 AM

916 posts, read 3,699,515 times
Quote:
Thanks Rosie. Just a typical freak out. Having lots of those lately. It's that whole "fear of the unknown" thing! I'm 34 Rosie.

On another note... Can anyone tell me how stupidly long this drive would be. It's the way I'd go to work, if I should reside in Belmont Shore. I'd be driving from Belmont Shore to Carson. Google maps estimates it at 17 miles, taking 26 minutes. I'm assumming with traffic that 26 minutes is laughable at best.

Route would generally be I-405 North to I-710 North to CA-91. How terrible will this end up being realistically? If anyone can shed some light, I'd be really thankful!
30 minutes in traffic. The worst traffic starts at the southbay curve (just north of carson) so you'll luckily miss that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County