Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 11:52 PM

13 posts, read 25,117 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move from a small town in Utah to OC this summer or fall. I am 20 and have always lived at home so this will be a big change. After I achieve residency and work for a year I would like to to to Orange Coast College located near Costa Mesa. Is this area pretty safe?

I'm coming from a town where we leave our houses unlocked all day when we are gone and never lock our vehicles so i'm not real used to the city.

Are there good housing options in this area? I would need to find one or more roomates to share an apartment.

What is minimum wage in this area? The cost of living is like 170% more here so I would think the wages would be more.

Is it hard to meet people around this area? I can't go to college for a full year after moving so i'm worried about meeting people.

Also, if anyone else is thinking about making a similar move. Hit me up It would be nice to know someone else in the area and not be completely alone!

Thanks! Hope I don't sound too ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 AM

17 posts, read 37,670 times
Utah is Utah,

OC and LA is for the strong to live and the weak to leave.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,493,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake976 View Post
I am planning to move from a small town in Utah to OC this summer or fall. I am 20 and have always lived at home so this will be a big change. After I achieve residency and work for a year I would like to to to Orange Coast College located near Costa Mesa. Is this area pretty safe?

I'm coming from a town where we leave our houses unlocked all day when we are gone and never lock our vehicles so i'm not real used to the city.

Are there good housing options in this area? I would need to find one or more roomates to share an apartment.

What is minimum wage in this area? The cost of living is like 170% more here so I would think the wages would be more.

Is it hard to meet people around this area? I can't go to college for a full year after moving so i'm worried about meeting people.

Also, if anyone else is thinking about making a similar move. Hit me up It would be nice to know someone else in the area and not be completely alone!

Thanks! Hope I don't sound too ignorant.

Most of Costa Mesa is pretty safe. It would be fun to find an apartment in Balboa village (Newport Beach) if you Can find something affordable. Most of it is very expensive. Otherwise, Costa Mesa may be your Best bet.

Wages are higher, but not as much higher as cost of living. Jobs are scares and at unskilled entry level, you re competing with hundreds of thousands of Mexican and South American immigrants. Most of the traditional high school and college jobs (fast food, yard care, child care, house cleaning, janitorial, car wash, etc) are taken by immigrants (legal and illegal). Thus, it can be quite difficult to find work. However all of the young people that I know looking for that kind of job, have been able to find something. I known by chance that you Can do very well at In & Out Burger if you stay long enough and perform well enough to get into management.

If you like the outdoors, you can do a lot of things for free. You do not need as much clothing.

It is not at all hard to meet people. People are more open and outwardly friendly than most places. The problem is that many of them will prey on you, or move on as soon as they meet someone who can provide more social, or other advantages. Friendships tend to be plentiful, but often shallow ans short lived, at least at first. However that will eventually change as you locate and get to know the more "real" people.

No you do not sound ignorant. For a 20 years old it appears that you are thinking things through and obtaining information to make rational decisions more than most 20 year olds. At least you are not walking around Costa Mesa looking for a place to live and a job and wondering what you will do if you do not find both of them today.

You need a car.

Try some online roomate services. It will be hit and miss and you may have to change a few times, but you will eventually find someone who is not flakey. Do nto sign long term leases. Otherwise you may get stuck with a flake.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,772,966 times
You aren't going to be able to leave your doors unlocked anywhere in Orange County. Orange Coast College is mostly known as a party school, but they have a good Japanese program. I can't speak to any of their other majors. I personally liked Santa Ana College better myself.

Costa Mesa is a pretty mixed bag. I personally wouldn't live there, but if you can get a place more toward the Newport Beach side you'll be okay. Rents will be a lot more expensive and the minimum wage doesn't really reflect the cost of living. So it will definitely be a financial struggle.

I assume you're a Mormon. There are quite a few Mormons in Orange County, so you might try finding a connection in OC through your church.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 PM

394 posts, read 964,616 times
I like Costa Mesa (I lived there for about 25 years and I graduated from OCC) but there are some parts of the city that are less desirable than others. The Eastside is overall the better part.

You will find lots of ads for available rooms but you should expect to pay $500 - $700 per month. Start with Craig's List but don't use that as your only reference. There are more thieves and cons in SoCal so you must be careful not to be taken advantage of. It's easy to make friends out here if you are a friendly person. You may very well find that the majority of people you meet are transplants from other parts of the country.

Have at least 3 to 4 months of a cash cushion because there is a lot of competition for jobs and it may take a while for you to find something decent.

Just don't burn any bridges as you depart Utah...

Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM

199 posts, read 616,852 times
Everything mentioned above is true. Moving from small town Utah to a large metropolitan area like OC will be a culture shock. Leave everything in your mind related to small town living back in Utah and tough it out. Keep an open mind and don't compare where you're from to where you will be living. You'll do alright. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County