Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNA27 View Post
After reading some other forum threads, I have to say that I am concerned about the political, social, and cultural environment in southern OC.

I knew that it was a conservative area, but my working assumption was that it was probably moderate with a leaning toward conservative.

However, I am seeing indications on the forum that OC is among the most conservative counties in the U.S. and that progressives are extremely rare.

I went to high school in a small town that was conservative leaning, but I have lived almost my entire life in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It is a very liberal and progressive community -- not only politically but culturally and socially.

The city is very secular and diverse, and the residents are generally accepting of everything from environmentalism and alternative political parties to open homosexuality and atheism.

For example, the city officially recognizes domestic partnerships, and some local employers like the University of Michigan extend full benefits to same sex and domestic partners. The city is also very green and environmentally conscious. Officials have had green programs in place for decades, and things like water quality are taken very seriously.

Now, let me be clear: I don't expect other places to be like Ann Arbor. As I remind people who live here, Ann Arbor is not America. Our community is an exception to the rule along with places like Eugene, Oregon and Austin, Texas. There is a reason why some people call us "The People's Republic of Ann Arbor".

Granted, I would love to live in a place much like Ann Arbor but with a SoCal climate. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem possible. While there may be areas around LA County that would offer this, the poor air quality and the traffic are huge detractors. And ideally we need to be within an hour or so of LAX, so that limits our options.

My hope is that southern OC is not as conservative as advertised. However, if it is, then we may want to find a community in the area that is at least somewhat moderate. I have heard that Aliso Viejo or Dana Point could be possibilities.

Does anyone have any constructive thoughts on this?

We will be visiting the area in mid-May. Are we in for complete culture shock? Are there any other options for us to consider that are within an hour or so of LAX but are more progressive areas?
OC is conservative with a libertarian flair. Live and let live. This isn't the South. You don't dress up in your Sunday best and go to church or be shunned by the community. No one particularly cares what you do as long as you don't hurt their property values or be terribly flagrant about something controversial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County