Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,928,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Knott's and Disney are two different kinds of theme parks. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Knott's and sometimes Disney, so ... no, it wouldn't be kosher if everything was Disney.

Hey - anybody remember Captain EO - the Michael Jackson attraction at Disney from back in the 80's???
It was playing at Disneyland last summer. I was so young when it was out the first time and I am sure we saw it, but I just can't remember. But, it was a bit odd seeing it...but nostalgia is nostalgia and it was the 80's after all. Things have come a long way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,556,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Is Knott's Berry Farm up for sale?
Cedar Fair was trying to sell off the park and thought it was sold but the sale fell thru. This was Dec 09. Anything is for sale if you have enough money.

My wife works there and she sees a lot that needs attention, they are using equiptment 40 years old. Some employees are kept because if they were unavailable the equiptment would need replacing, no one else knows how to repair some old equiptment.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,982,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Generally speaking, Disney does not buy other theme parks, the prefer to design their own. Not saying it will never happen, just saying it's quite doubtful. There was lots of speculation when Sea World was up for sale as well. Should Disney ever buy a theme park, it's likely they would gut it and build anew on the land.
That's kinda dumb considering the fact that it is difficult to find that much land to build upon.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,982,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Cedar Fair was trying to sell off the park and thought it was sold but the sale fell thru. This was Dec 09. Anything is for sale if you have enough money.

My wife works there and she sees a lot that needs attention, they are using equiptment 40 years old. Some employees are kept because if they were unavailable the equiptment would need replacing, no one else knows how to repair some old equiptment.
That's scary ... I think it is sad that Knott's decided to go the Magic Mountain route with all those crazy rollercoasters and decided to nix several rides that I enjoyed. I went there in 2009 for old time's sake and there wasn't that many rides that I could handle. That park needs a new owner and some serious enhancements. I so long for an Epcot here in So Cal as I trully enjoyed it when I was in Orlando back in 2008.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
,,,,I went there in 2009 for old time's sake and there wasn't that many rides that I could handle. ,,.
Same here! I am 51, we rode the rides last year and I can safely say I will never ride a roller coaster again. Most of the rides just plain hurt me. Oddly one I enjoy is the Silver Bullet, pretty gentle even thou it has speed and twists.

I have been whispering in any ear that will listen that they would do well to add a large outdoor venue for concerts. They have the land, book some large bands. Do both kinds of music - country and folk, lol. Heck even do some rock and jazz. I could see the park blossom with summer concerts. Playboy jazz in the ghost town, I would go.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:16 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,775,276 times
The problem with the large outdoor concert venue is that the folks living in the housing tracts across the street on Western would raise hell about the noise. It will be like what happened with that parachute ride tower. Or the Pacific Ampitheater in Costa Mesa.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:20 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,320,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That's kinda dumb considering the fact that it is difficult to find that much land to build upon.
Well having worked in the theme park industry for nearly 20 years, that's how it is, dumb or not.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,084,911 times
Quote:
I have been whispering in any ear that will listen that they would do well to add a large outdoor venue for concerts. They have the land, book some large bands. Do both kinds of music - country and folk, lol. Heck even do some rock and jazz. I could see the park blossom with summer concerts. Playboy jazz in the ghost town, I would go.
They had various groups in the old John Wayne Theater in the 70's. I saw a ton of shows there. Don't think it brought in the extra $$ they expected. And yes, the neighbors would raise holy heck.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
The problem with the large outdoor concert venue is that the folks living in the housing tracts across the street on Western would raise hell about the noise. It will be like what happened with that parachute ride tower. Or the Pacific Ampitheater in Costa Mesa.
I would put it on the east side of the park near the Independence Hall. The neighbors can complain but the land is all grandfathered in as the park was there before any of the neighboring homes.

The John Wayne theatre has been renamed the Charles Shultz theatre. It is always available for rent for private functions. My wife and I considered renting it a few nights for a folk concert.

The parachute ride was pretty much doomed after the teen committed suicide off it one Halloween night, the rails were raised and the ride resumed a few more years. What was the big end for it was handicap access. That was why the Haunted Shack was closed as well.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:40 AM

166 posts, read 379,869 times
Quote:
The parachute ride was pretty much doomed after the teen committed suicide off it one Halloween night, the rails were raised and the ride resumed a few more years. What was the big end for it was handicap access. That was why the Haunted Shack was closed as well.
Handicap access for a parachute ride? Is that even a good idea?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County