U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 5,316 times

Advertisements

Are they OC born and bred or are they successful people who have relocated there for whatever reason?

Obviously I am not looking for any specific numbers or anything just what people have observed.

The reason I ask is as you can tell from my name I am english and want to move to California. I visited the OC 3 years back and loved it and would like to move here with my family so just want to get a feel of the demographics of the area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 AM

14,141 posts, read 16,506,598 times
I think that now there are higher proportions of natives and transplants from other parts of the country than there used to be. When I moved there in the 60s, it was mostly people like me coming from other parts of Southern California, such as L.A., Long Beach, or San Bernardino County. Many were descended from Midwesterners, Southerners, and others who came to California during the 1930s depression and World War II. The kids and grandkids of these folks would comprise a lot of the current natives. After the nation became more mobile and the area more glamourized and visible on TV and in the movies it started drawing more people from other parts of the country and the world. I'm sure it's a real hodge-podge now.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,469,580 times
I moved here about 10 years ago from Manhattan and I have a few neighbors who are also Manhattan transplants who moved to Orange County 20-30 years ago. Other neighbors are from all around the state, country and the globe.

I have a friend who was born in OC, but lived in LA and in different parts of the country because her parents were in the business side of the entertainment industry. She returned to OC about 20 years ago and has settled here. I do know a few younger people who were born in OC (one in Newport Coast and the other in Mission Viejo) and have stayed here. OT, but even they have interesting memories of how South County looked prior to its present state of development. Most of the people I know who live in the northern part of the county seem to have been born in LA.

I suspect that many of us had CA connections before moving here. I have relatives who moved to Orange County almost 25 years ago. More distant relatives have families that have been in LA and Ventura counties (and up and down the CA coast) since the late 1800's-early 1900’s.

Last edited by pacific2; 04-10-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-10-2011, 12:36 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,542,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnglishman2011 View Post
the OC
Naughty, naughty, naughty.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,506,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Naughty, naughty, naughty.
Well at least he didn't use the dreaded four letter "C" word.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:32 PM

Thank you for the informative replies guys. So from the first two replies it would seem a lot of OC residents were already natives of california.

Are there many international businessmen types around there? Will I feel like an outsider because I am english?

Also I remember reading that OC has a very high population of wealthy persian people, is this true?

Sorry for the random questions.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,469,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnglishman2011 View Post
Thank you for the informative replies guys. So from the first two replies it would seem a lot of OC residents were already natives of california.
I didnít mean to give you that impression because many, like myself, are transplants from elsewhere in the country, or from other nations. Check City-Data if you need the actual stats since both CA and Orange County have long attracted people from other places.

Quote:
Are there many international businessmen types around there?
Yes.

Quote:
Will I feel like an outsider because I am english?
I doubt it since people are here from all over the globe. It's no big deal.

FYI:
Making the move from UK to Aliso Viejo

Quote:

Also I remember reading that OC has a very high population of wealthy persian people, is this true?
Yes.

Last edited by pacific2; 04-10-2011 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,542,878 times
I'll weigh in on this: I lived in OC from 1960 to 2004 (except for military postings). I was a transplant from L.A. County, which is where I was born.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 PM

22,208 posts, read 13,014,885 times
I've known more than a few Brits in O.C. I think this is the club they belonged to.

Home - The British & Dominion Social Club

(I remember it was in Garden Grove and that's where this club is. They were always getting together for one reason or another.)

Old 04-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I didnít mean to give you that impression because many, like myself, are transplants from elsewhere in the country, or from other nations. Check City-Data if you need the actual stats since both CA and Orange County have long attracted people from other places.

Yes.

I doubt it since people are here from all over the globe. It's no big deal.

Yes.
Cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County