U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 PM

7 posts, read 19,849 times

Advertisements

When I lived in West LA, I used to do the Santa Monica stairs a lot. Is there anything like that in Orange County? I know of a big hill at the top of Newport Coast I walk up occasionally, but I don't always want to drive that far to walk up a hill if you know what I mean. Gas prices and all.

I am in the Irvine/Costa Mesa area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 16,420 times
1000 steps beach. My wife and I used to do the stairs there every day until we moved away. Killer work out.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:11 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,014,398 times
Corona del Mar State Beach

Old 04-25-2011, 05:30 PM

26,513 posts, read 62,899,137 times
There are some stairs or ramps down tothe tie pool beach just north of Laguna Beach. It is a really neat beach too.

If you want to climb hills all day long go out to Silverado Canyon. You will need to buy a day pas for the CLevelan National Forest to park in the lot at the end of Silverado Canyon Road. Go past the barricade on the paved road about 100 feet, maybe a bit more and keep an eye out to your left. You will see a dirt trail doming down to meet the road on the left. Follow that trail and you can climb ever steeper hills all day long. Beautiful views. Be sure to bring a lot of water. There is no water along the trail and usually no one around to help you if you get in trouble. It is a woncerful and steep hike.

There are some decent hill trails out at Whiting Ranch park as well It is in the lake Forest area I think. I am not exactly sure what town it is in, I just drive there without really paying attention to where I am. You can look it up. THere are two entrances. One is along side the parking lot of a strip mall. That puts you into the best part of the park for hiking. Watch for a small trail off to the left. There is a sign that says foot traffic only (or something like that) that trail will take you away from the mountain bikes. It is flat for a while, but then it gets steeper.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 AM

768 posts, read 4,034,054 times
If Newport Coast (from Costa Mesa/Irvine - like 55/73/405?) is too far -1000 steps, Laguna Beach & CDM will be as well. The one thing that lot of stairs & hills requires a is a change in elevation. That area is practically flat, the only "hill" I know Irvine Blvd from University to Bristol, it dips down and then gradually inclines. If you are looking for a lot of steps, the various parking structures in Irvine around the airport have many flights of stairs you can just run up and down... and I believe you can run the steps in the stadium at Orange Coast College.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,260 times
Chapparral Park in Irvine near Culver and Anteater Drive has several flights of stairs for a good stair workout. And it's hardly ever busy. Park at elementary school when school is out. Follow path in the park which leads you to stairs. Stairs are surrounded by trees and bushes. Once you reached the top of the stairs you can continues ascending hill with a hike. You can get a stair workout and hike all in one place. Views of Irvine, Beaches and inland as well. No restrooms. Although there is a park nearby with restrooms. Boomer Canyon is also nearby. Looks interesting. They just opened this hiking trail up. I have yet to visit it.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 AM

394 posts, read 829,966 times
It might take a while to get there, but the hike up Saddleback Mountain is terrific!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or