Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,318,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
They could market it as Costa Mesa/South Coast adjacent lol.
Of course. From their web page:

Single-Family Homes from the Low $500,000s

Canopy Lane at South Coast Metro…the privacy, prestige, and pizzazz you’re looking for, all in one place! This special community offers an exceptional combination of charm and convenience, space and style, with three- to four-bedroom, two-story homes offering cook’s kitchens with islands, spacious master suites, upstairs laundry rooms, and great rooms, per plan, in 1,871 to 2,327 square feet of living space. Quaint, tree-lined streets, a private park, and gated entry set a storybook scene, while a prime, central Orange County location and no Mello-Roos provide a happy ending.

This gated enclave of 38 detached homes affords exceptional privacy together with outstanding convenience thanks to its South Coast Metro location. Just outside of the gates are South Coast Plaza, the Segerstrom Center for the Arts, Centennial Park, John Wayne Airport and major work centers.

--

Pivacy? Yeah, as long as you keep your windows and binds closed. Whoever added Centennial Park to the list of attractions must live far, far away and just looked at Google maps. The private park inside the gate is already built and its just a little bigger than one of the lots and has walkways and benches. Its not even big enough to play catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,356,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
Personally I think I would be depressed in that type of environment, away from civilization. As with all real estate, there are pro and cons.
We moved from a neat 2600 s.f. house in Santa Ana. It was not a bad place to live, but we had to work hard to overcome problems (like schools and no place to play). Our house recently re-sold for a little over $500,000. It is a neat house on a small (7200 s.f. lot). Walking distance ot an execellent High school and Jr. High (OCHSA).

By comparison, we are on a 1 acre wooded waterfront lot teeming with wildlife. A 3900 s.f. historic house with a seperate carriage house (hayloft is finshed but may not be counted as living quarters, basement is also finsihed with bedrooms and bathroom and theater/gameroom, but not counted - in all almost 6000 s.f. living space) with an enclosed pool, bonfire pit, chicken coop. We can eat the fish from the river in front of our house and perch and walleye are supposedly plentiful. (We just do not know how to catch them). Neighbors are about 300 feet away through the woods and our kids can ride their bicycles or walk anywhere in our community with no worries (or canoe to friends houses for a visit). Schools are beyond excellent, crime is negligible, gangs do not even know that our community exists, community services and amenities are unparelleled, no smog. Kids can play in the woods, river, canal, bike trails even the roads (not much traffic), school paygrounds and fields are open 24/7 as are parks. We are 28 miles (37 minutes) away from a major city. 20 miles (30 minutes) from a major airport and there is virtually no traffic. Current value of our house is about $300,000

From a real estate persepctive, there is no comparison, but there are other trade offs (like snow, clouds, loads of rain).

We liked living in santa Ana just fine. Good school options are avialable, but it takes some work, or some money (private schools). The people of the city are generally wonderful as long as you do not have problems with prejudice. There are some awful people but they are mostly active in specific areas that you can avoid and you can deal with problems in your area by working with neighbors. Although I woudl not live in those new homes if you gave me one for free, it that kind of living was acceptable to me, I would not have a major problem withthe location. It would be nice to be close to S.C. Plaza but the trailer park would not give me any joy. There are better Santa Ana locations in the same price range.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 PM

858 posts, read 1,139,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We moved from a neat 2600 s.f. house in Santa Ana. It was not a bad place to live, but we had to work hard to overcome problems (like schools and no place to play). Our house recently re-sold for a little over $500,000. It is a neat house on a small (7200 s.f. lot). Walking distance ot an execellent High school and Jr. High (OCHSA).

By comparison, we are on a 1 acre wooded waterfront lot teeming with wildlife. A 3900 s.f. historic house with a seperate carriage house (hayloft is finshed but may not be counted as living quarters, basement is also finsihed with bedrooms and bathroom and theater/gameroom, but not counted - in all almost 6000 s.f. living space) with an enclosed pool, bonfire pit, chicken coop. We can eat the fish from the river in front of our house and perch and walleye are supposedly plentiful. (We just do not know how to catch them). Neighbors are about 300 feet away through the woods and our kids can ride their bicycles or walk anywhere in our community with no worries (or canoe to friends houses for a visit). Schools are beyond excellent, crime is negligible, gangs do not even know that our community exists, community services and amenities are unparelleled, no smog. Kids can play in the woods, river, canal, bike trails even the roads (not much traffic), school paygrounds and fields are open 24/7 as are parks. We are 28 miles (37 minutes) away from a major city. 20 miles (30 minutes) from a major airport and there is virtually no traffic. Current value of our house is about $300,000

From a real estate persepctive, there is no comparison, but there are other trade offs (like snow, clouds, loads of rain).

We liked living in santa Ana just fine. Good school options are avialable, but it takes some work, or some money (private schools). The people of the city are generally wonderful as long as you do not have problems with prejudice. There are some awful people but they are mostly active in specific areas that you can avoid and you can deal with problems in your area by working with neighbors. Although I woudl not live in those new homes if you gave me one for free, it that kind of living was acceptable to me, I would not have a major problem withthe location. It would be nice to be close to S.C. Plaza but the trailer park would not give me any joy. There are better Santa Ana locations in the same price range.
There is no question you live in a wonderful home, and as long as you and your family are happy that is all that matters. Personally though I like alot of choices, resturaunts, shopping, entertainment, nightlife all within a drop of a hat. Its just a different lifestyle which fits my personality.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
There is no question you live in a wonderful home, and as long as you and your family are happy that is all that matters. Personally though I like alot of choices, resturaunts, shopping, entertainment, nightlife all within a drop of a hat. Its just a different lifestyle which fits my personality.
Yeah we used to like all that a lot too. However as our family grew and aged, our prioirities changed. We do miss that stuff, at least some of us do. We miss the mountains and foothills the most, and the resturuants/nightlife second. It is not dead here, but we have about 1/10th as much available. As a trade off, we can do a lot more outdoorsey things without having to go anywhere to do them. Still does not stop us from wishing for a couple of nice Jazz clubs or a dance club maybe some decent chinese food. . . .

If your budget is only $500,000 and your options are the Tetris lots in Santa Ana, or the artic winds of Michigan, I am not sure it is a hard choice, but if you have the $ for a nicer location, it gets more difficult.

Santa Ana is actually great in some ways compared to other places. People just do not realize the amenties around them. Compared to say Laguna Beach it is not that great, but for night life and dining, it takes our little town and the surrounding area hands down. Further, most people do not realize that Santa Ana is statistically safer than most large US cities. All the nasty rumor and conjecture urban legends, and office water cooler gossip make it sound a lot worse than it really is.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM

According to their web site, the project is zoned for Jefferson Elementary (3/10), McFadden Intermediate (2/10), and Segerstrom High (9/10). Scores are from 2007 (last year available) from California School Performance Maps

Old 04-25-2011, 02:57 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,779,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
According to their web site, the project is zoned for Jefferson Elementary (3/10), McFadden Intermediate (2/10), and Segerstrom High (9/10). Scores are from 2007 (last year available) from California School Performance Maps
Well, it seems all is well once they reach HS.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Well, it seems all is well once they reach HS.
I'm not sure how that works since its usually the other way around. Segerstrom just opened in 2005 so maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO2.0 View Post
Thank you for posting this. Anytime I think about missing southern CA I can just think of posts like this and then think of my $300K, 3,000 sq foot house on 5 acres in an award winning school district in Eastern WA.

Maybe the snow up here isn't so bad.
My cousin just bought or is trying to, a Short Sale in Torrance/Gardena area which is the L.A. school district. the house was built in 1942 is 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and 845 sq ft: the cost, $285,000.

Nita

Old 04-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My cousin just bought or is trying to, a Short Sale in Torrance/Gardena area which is the L.A. school district. the house was built in 1942 is 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and 845 sq ft: the cost, $285,000.

Nita
$337/sqft. Such a deal!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM

Segerstrom was a state of the art high school when it was built. Some of the features are ridiculous.. It draws from the South Coast metro area and therfore has a better level of students (i.e. kids whose parents may make them do their homework). They also concentrated some of the best teachers and administrators there at least at first.

For elementary schools and Jr. High you need to find one of the fundamental schools. John Muir is the elementary that I am most familiar with. Villa and MacArthur as fundamental middle schools. While not perfect, they ar emuch better and good kids can get an execellent education there. You just may need ot work withthem a little bit more than at someplace like Irvine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County