Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times

Advertisements

This is a small in-fill project at Fairview and Alton in Santa Ana. Its not the worst part of Santa Ana, but nowhere in the city is really that far from the crap. Of course, the models look nice but whoever laid out the lots must have been a master at Tetris. They're squeezed in so tight, they may as well be townhouses. The main street is somewhat narrow so I doubt the fire department will allow parking on both sides. And don't forget those award winning Santa Ana schools!

Picture one shows the lovely view of the street, train tracks (where they blow the whistle for a couple of miles most mornings) and the mobile estates. Fairview is a very busy street but Alton isn't as bad.

Picture two shows the view of TWO of your neighbor's houses. One inconsiderate driver can trap the guy on the right in or out of his house.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 08-09-2011 at 12:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 AM

108 posts, read 361,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
This is a small in-fill project at Fairview and Alton in Santa Ana. Its not the worst part of Santa Ana, but nowhere in the city is really that far from the crap. Of course, the models look nice but whoever laid out the lots must have been a master at Tetris. They're squeezed in so tight, they may as well be townhouses. The main street is somewhat narrow so I doubt the fire department will allow parking on both sides. And don't forget those award winning Santa Ana schools!

Picture one shows the lovely view of the street, train tracks (where they blow the whistle for a couple of miles most mornings) and the mobile estates. Fairview is a very busy street but Alton isn't as bad.

Picture two shows the view of TWO of your neighbor's houses. One inconsiderate driver can trap the guy on the right in or out of his house.

Thank you for posting this. Anytime I think about missing southern CA I can just think of posts like this and then think of my $300K, 3,000 sq foot house on 5 acres in an award winning school district in Eastern WA.

Maybe the snow up here isn't so bad.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 AM

231 posts, read 590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO2.0 View Post
Thank you for posting this. Anytime I think about missing southern CA I can just think of posts like this and then think of my $300K, 3,000 sq foot house on 5 acres in an award winning school district in Eastern WA.

I have to agree TSO2.0 ---

Old 04-24-2011, 03:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:

No argument here.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:40 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I'm lounging by my swimming pool, getting ready to fire up the grill in the 16' long outdoor built-in grill/wet-bar, in the back yard of my 4800 square foot 4 year old house that cost me $464K. I love the 1800 square-foot over-sized 5 car garage/shop with epoxied floor & 4 post lift. I won't mention that we have no state income tax.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,623 times
I guess it's just a matter of perspective. Having grown up in NYC, in the boroughs - Brooklyn and the Bronx, not Manhattan, I wouldn't trade SoCal for very much. Sure we have our problems but to me the positives far outweigh the negatives. As far as the original post is concerned, if I could afford a $500k+ home I definitely wouldn't be looking for one in Santa Ana anyway, so????? As expensive as it is to live here, there are still plenty of options in that price range I would think.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:10 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
This is a small in-fill project at Fairview and Alton in Santa Ana.,,,.
Any new construction like this will require nearly $75,000 in permit fees and hook ups. Money is better spent on remodeling. Hook up fees are gone and permit cost is much less.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
They could market it as Costa Mesa/South Coast adjacent lol.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:

But being cooped up a good part of the winter probably sucks.

And having kids on a five acre lot must be fun too when the nearest kid is 1/4 mile away and half your neighbors are either childless (retired) or insular and anti-social (They don't like people: "Get off my property") because otherwise they wouldn't have purchase a five acre lot in the first place.

"Man I wish my parents bought a home in a normal subdivision so I had some other kids to play with"

Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 AM

858 posts, read 1,145,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
But being cooped up a good part of the winter probably sucks.

And having kids on a five acre lot must be fun too when the nearest kid is 1/4 mile away and half your neighbors are either childless (retired) or insular and anti-social (They don't like people: "Get off my property") because otherwise they wouldn't have purchase a five acre lot in the first place.

"Man I wish my parents bought a home in a normal subdivision so I had some other kids to play with"
Personally I think I would be depressed in that type of environment, away from civilization. As with all real estate, there are pro and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County