U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Irvine CA
96 posts, read 132,704 times
Reputation: 56
i dont have a problem with a smaller church per se, but most of the smaller gay friendly churches have very few straight people. this bothers me only in that it isnt actually diverse.

theres a church fellowship at UCI that is gay friendly, but they have more of a college aged crowd.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,541 posts, read 992,434 times
Reputation: 1212
Well I Pastor a predominantly gay church in Santa Ana. We aren't a mega-church and would probably fall into the small category but we do focus on God's inclusive love for all people and we try to be upbeat etc. with our music.

Some weeks we do have straight people, others not. It depends on who comes.

It sounds like you are shopping for a church that meets these requirements and not finding a church that theologically meets your needs. If people shun the smaller churches because they are "mega" sized, how do the smaller churches grow to be of a size where a wider variety of programs and services can be offered?

Having been to mega-churches and knowing a couple of mega-church pastor's, it is my belief they sanitize the Gospel and deliver a neutered message that makes everyone feel good, even when the scripture isn't always about good news, to get them to open their wallets.

Church is about having the message remain with you and impact you, good and bad, in the days following Sunday, it is not about how many people are sitting in the pews with you attending a broadway meets God production.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 PM
 
8 posts, read 10,849 times
Reputation: 17
The only place I've ever been really impressed by support for gay individuals was in a Unitarian fellowship (and I've moved all over the country and "tried out" a lot of different churches....) I remember once seeing a gay woman, as well as her partner, stand in front of a Unitarian congregation and talk very openly about their experience, and it seemed utterly natural for them to do so in that setting... even liberal denominations like the Episcopals and Lutherans vary immensely in their level of acceptance depending on geography. Some Episcopal congregations in south OC, for example, are very very "white" -- I mean, you go in there and you won't see one ethnic person out of the whole. congregation -- everyone is very stiff and straight-laced...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,541 posts, read 992,434 times
Reputation: 1212
FYI Metropolitan Community Churches has been paving the way for gay's and lesbians since 1968, long before any other denomination. They also are the only denomination that does not require congregations to vote to be open and affirming... nothing like the straight folk getting to decide you are welcome
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 10:58 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 19,691,177 times
Reputation: 16079
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Having been to mega-churches and knowing a couple of mega-church pastor's, it is my belief they sanitize the Gospel and deliver a neutered message that makes everyone feel good, even when the scripture isn't always about good news, to get them to open their wallets.

Church is about having the message remain with you and impact you, good and bad, in the days following Sunday, it is not about how many people are sitting in the pews with you attending a broadway meets God production.
Reverend Randy, he da man.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Irvine CA
96 posts, read 132,704 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
FYI Metropolitan Community Churches has been paving the way for gay's and lesbians since 1968, long before any other denomination. They also are the only denomination that does not require congregations to vote to be open and affirming... nothing like the straight folk getting to decide you are welcome
Yeah this is another element that bothers me. It shouldn't even be a question. It should just be people going to church. Period.

The church that I went to today (my old church till I find a new one) definitley isnt one that preaches a "feel good" message. They go verse by verse through the bible, and usually make it through the whole bible once every 5 years or so.

I also want one that embraces things like evolution, etc.

I'm really not into denominations. I prefer non-denominational, but I suspect that a church exactly like what I am looking for in Orange County simply does not exist.

Maybe I need a home study group or something.

Thanks fontucky and revrandy for your suggestions and input.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,541 posts, read 992,434 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
I'm really not into denominations. I prefer non-denominational, but I suspect that a church exactly like what I am looking for in Orange County simply does not exist.
If you are not hung up on the size issue, you could try my church Happy to PM you the details or meet with you prior to a Sunday and give you more background on us.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 PM
 
166 posts, read 189,066 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
Yeah this is another element that bothers me. It shouldn't even be a question. It should just be people going to church. Period.

.
Amen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
 
Location: The Vine
39 posts, read 34,298 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
I probably should have been more specific in asking for what would probably be a more liberal christian church....

I was looking at Mariners and considering a visit (after all, they just started using the NIV 2011) but when I read some reviews elsewhere it was revealed that they fired one of their worship leaders for coming out gay. Not the kind of church I am looking for.

Its sad. It really shouldnt be this difficult!
Should it not be difficult finding a cult that accepts the people they're forced to hate?

OT: Why do you need a church to worship? This is one thing I've never understood about religion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:59 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,638 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
theres a church fellowship at UCI that is gay friendly, but they have more of a college aged crowd.
What was the UCI fellowship called? I'd like to check that out!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top