Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

When we moved to Orange County, we tried to go to the beach once a week. That changed to once a month because we were just too busy. The water is always too cold for me, unless maybe late August after a hot summer. I love the warm ocean on the east coast much better. I'm a wuss and I admit it.

I worked in Costa Mesa for 6 months and thought I would do lunch walks at the beach - only made it once because the traffic to get over there was horrendous on nice days and it was foggy/gloomy still at lunchtime on most of the other days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You do not find a lot of shells. I scuba dive and even though I can skit right along the bottom, I have rarely found any interesting unoccupied shells. (not many occupied shells either).
Actually you're more likely to find cool shells as well as polished glass and rocks in the winter at low tide when the bigger rocks are exposed. You don't even have to go in the water. Most of the shellfish around there are bivalves (clams, mussels, and scallops) which tend to hang onto something strurdy like rocks and pilings, unlike the East Coast where you find shells like conch and cones whose occupants are more mobile.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I'm in Ventura County but I probably go to the beach once a week just to look at the water.
Me too. LOL Wonder if we have been to the beach at the same time.

Our kids would live at the beach if we would let them. I can always see when the fog starts to roll in and they will want to head out to the beach. Have to tell them, it may be warm here but the fog is rolling in and chances are it will be cold at the beach. During the summer my wife will usually call me at the end of the day and let me know which beach the family is at. She prefers the kiddy beaches, I like to see the waves and many times the dolphins playing around, or what ever else is out there at the time. Don't tell my wife this, but sometimes I just like to go look at bikinis. LOL. Sure am glad for those mirrored sun glasses. LOL

Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Me too. LOL Wonder if we have been to the beach at the same time.

Our kids would live at the beach if we would let them. I can always see when the fog starts to roll in and they will want to head out to the beach. Have to tell them, it may be warm here but the fog is rolling in and chances are it will be cold at the beach. During the summer my wife will usually call me at the end of the day and let me know which beach the family is at. She prefers the kiddy beaches, I like to see the waves and many times the dolphins playing around, or what ever else is out there at the time. Don't tell my wife this, but sometimes I just like to go look at bikinis. LOL. Sure am glad for those mirrored sun glasses. LOL
Do you look at the plus size women in their lil bikinis ?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
I NEVER go. The beach is dirty, disgusting and it absolutely pisses me off at the homeless and other low lives who live at the beach.

If you want to go the beach check out costa rica.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Do you look at the plus size women in their lil bikinis ?
No I don't. A man has to have his standards. LOL

Old 05-12-2011, 01:07 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
No I don't. A man has to have his standards. LOL
A plus size woman may just rock your world. Next time you're at the beach work your charm with one & take her to lunch.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
A plus size woman may just rock your world. Next time you're at the beach work your charm with one & take her to lunch.
...and bring a credit card. You'll need it.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
I haven't been to the beach, like making a day of it (sunbathing/swimming), in Southern California in 4+ years.

Ironically, I went to Santa Barbara and put my feet in the water a couple of months ago...

Old 05-12-2011, 03:27 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our family loves the beach and we always tried to get there at least 10-20 times a year (although I persoanlly rarely got down there). However, we have friends who live in Irvine and go to the beach maybe once a year if that. It is understandable sometimes we find that there is so much to do elswhere and it is such a hassle to pack the junk, get to a beach, park, carry the junk, deal with sand sunburn etc. that we just do not bother with the beach, especially in the summer when it is all crowded nasty and too hot. I get bored easily.

I am just curious. Are there many OCians out there who have never been to the beach at all, or who go only very rarely?
My wife and I lived at the beach B.C. (before children). Volleyball 2x times a week, maybe 3 and swimming/Bodysurfing weekly. Now we have young kids who do not swim yet. She'll take the kids maybe once every other week in summer to play in the sand but I only get to go 2 or 3 times a year.

We usually arrange our date nights to be by the water, but to go to the beach to swim, etc has become distressingly rare. Our goal is to get the kids 100% swim trained this summer so we can begin to enjoy it again. Plus I want to teach the boys to bodysurf and boogie board!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County