Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:24 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times

Advertisements

Just curious how long your commute is?

Hubby works in Irvine (near Sand Canyon) and we're sticking to South OC to buy. We'll be looking for condos from Laguna Hills/Lake Forest area down to San Juan... (20 miles from his work... that's the limit for us)

I have one friend who lives in Laguna Niguel and her husband works in Downey! Been doing it for the 15 years since they've lived in California.
I have another friend down in San Diego who's husband comes home for lunch every day! (Hmmm... I love my hubby, but...)

Also, if you have a long commute what's your coping stategy?
Would love to hear!
Thanks!
p.s. Irvine would be close, but it's too pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 01:33 PM

768 posts, read 4,340,801 times
About 225' feet from my bedroom down to the kitchen, then back up to the home office. Sometimes there is crazy cat traffic on the stairs, and then the occasional hairball cleanup that prevents me from getting to work on time. However if I had to go into an office, it probably wouldn't be any further north than Irvine, and I am in the same area you are looking at moving to.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanetheMortgageMan View Post
About 225' feet from my bedroom down to the kitchen, then back up to the home office. Sometimes there is crazy cat traffic on the stairs, and then the occasional hairball cleanup that prevents me from getting to work on time. However if I had to go into an office, it probably wouldn't be any further north than Irvine, and I am in the same area you are looking at moving to.
You lucky son of a gun!
I seriously wish telecommuting would be an option... (dispite having to make him lunch lol)
Hubby's in IT, but they want him at the office!
Maybe in the future when cars simply don't move anymore on freeways, working from home will be demanded!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:48 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hubby's in IT, but they want him at the office!
Perhaps he should look around for another IT company that allows telecommuting. There are plenty of them out there. Most IT jobs can be done just fine from a remote location.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Perhaps he should look around for another IT company that allows telecommuting. There are plenty of them out there. Most IT jobs can be done just fine from a remote location.
Something to think about... although truth be told he absolutely loves his job! That's worth at least a 30 minute commute I suppose!
Maybe down the line, his company will see it makes sense.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 PM

32 posts, read 106,673 times
30 minute commute is average. You're looking in the right areas that's for sure, best deals are down there.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Just curious how long your commute is?

Hubby works in Irvine (near Sand Canyon) and we're sticking to South OC to buy. We'll be looking for condos from Laguna Hills/Lake Forest area down to San Juan... (20 miles from his work... that's the limit for us)

I have one friend who lives in Laguna Niguel and her husband works in Downey! Been doing it for the 15 years since they've lived in California.
I have another friend down in San Diego who's husband comes home for lunch every day! (Hmmm... I love my hubby, but...)

Also, if you have a long commute what's your coping stategy?
Would love to hear!
Thanks!
p.s. Irvine would be close, but it's too pricey.
I know this is crazy but 55 miles to El Segundo. Up at 4AM, out the door at 450, catch a van at 510, arrive at 6, catch a van at 330 home by 445.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
We live in Aliso Viejo and my hubby's been commuting to Bake/Trabuco, and that commute has been taking him 20-30 minutes. His office is moving to Irvine Spectrum tomorrow, so I expect his commute will be a bit shorter now.

V. =)

Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 PM

768 posts, read 4,340,801 times
Nice Veronika. That north 5 commute can be pretty brutal, same with all of the surface streets here in the Saddleback Valley. I remember when I could go from Trabuco & El Toro Rd to the 5 in about 4 or 5 minutes... now it's an easy 10 to 15!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 34,306 times
When heading South on 405/5, there's no real appreciable difference in time between San Juan Cap and San Clemente. In the afternoon, after you break free around the Oso Crown Valley area, it's smooth sailing to the South. In other words, consider Dana Point, Capo Beach, San Clemente as well. When leaving MacArthur/405 area at 4-5pm it takes 1 to 1.5 hours to get to San Juan area. If you wait to 6pm or later it's 30-45 mins max.

When heading to the North in the am, it always loads up around Crown Valley and again it doesn't matter how far to the South you start. However, since you are only heading as far north as Sand Canyon, once you break free of Lake Forest/El Toro you have pretty clear sailing to the north. It bogs up again as you get just beyond Sand Canyon. If you leave before 7:30 the drive to San Canyon shouldn't take more than 20-30 mins. If you leave 7:30-8:30 it will load up pretty good and could take 45 mins.

Coping? Jon and Ken Show, Cowell on ESPN, and a host of others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County