Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 4,372 times

Advertisements

my husband and i are taking our two young boys on a quick socal trip. we're doing the disneyland thing, but we're also spending a few days at the beach. what beaches do you recommend for day-long stays? and what restaurants do you suggest we try (thinking on/by the beach, ocean view, casual enough for family dining, but doesn't have to be taco bell if you know what i mean). thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:40 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvincali View Post
my husband and i are taking our two young boys on a quick socal trip. we're doing the disneyland thing, but we're also spending a few days at the beach. what beaches do you recommend for day-long stays? and what restaurants do you suggest we try (thinking on/by the beach, ocean view, casual enough for family dining, but doesn't have to be taco bell if you know what i mean). thanks!
For restaurant try Ruby's on the end of the Huntington Beach Pier. Its a family friendly 40's diner themed regional chain burger joint (Red Robin like food). Just be prepared to wait 30 minutes or so to get seated, longer if you go at high rush times.

There is another Ruby's on the Balboa Pier in Newport Beach. It isn't as nice, but it is near the Balboa fun zone where your kids may enjoy going afterward.

For a day at the beach if your kids are younger/ not strong swimmers try Big Corona beach at Corona Del Mar State beach in Newport. It is sheltered by cliffs and a breakwater, so the waves are calmer. If the kids are older and strong swimmers try Huntington Beach. Classic CA beach scene.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:00 AM

the balboa fun zone sounds great. good suggestion. i've heard people talk about crystal cove. i lived in la and oc for a brief while yet i never went there is crystal cove an area of beaches? someone mentioned beachcomber. is this a restaurant?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I agree that Balboa is probably the most fun place for a visiting family. There is a lot more there than just the beach. Opposite the beach is the fun zone where they have arcades and some silly rides. The fun zone is on the bay which is bascically still water where you can take a tour or utilize various small craft without encountering waves. You can ride the car ferry over to balboa island and walk aroun there a bit, or just ride the ferry back. You can rent various types of watercraft kayaks, small motor boats, or take a tour on a larger boat. You can rent bicycles, roller blades, boogies boards, skim boards, almost any water or beach toy that you can think of. THere are some neat little shhops (mostly T-shirt shops). There is even a gondola dinner thing. Do not swim in the bay, the water is pretty icky. You will often see sea lions in the bay.

Corona Del Mar beach is not only more gentle for younger kids, but there is cluster of rocks with a neat little cave that your kids can explore at low tide. There are also firepits on the beach.

If you go to Rubies ont he Balboa pier, go thre long before you are hungry. THere is a long wait, expecially if you want ot sit ont he upper deck. If you are lucky, you will see a pod of dolpins swimming by whiile you eat. Sometimes they are only a few feet off the pier.

Another nice option, but more adult oriented is Las Brisas in Laguna Beach. Laguna has a nice picturesque beach that is used in lots of movies. It is an arts ortiented town and has loads of art galleries as well as the usual shops and cafes. It is the place where gays are most tolerated in OC, so there is a considerable gay population. If your kids would be distrubed by seeing two guys making out, then you may want to stick with Balboa.

UNless you are willing to take big risks, keep yuor kids out of the water at the wedge. The wedge is the extreme end of the balboa peninsuls where a wedge is formed by the breakwater (a narrow pile of broken concrete) runs semi perpendicular to the shoreline. There is some amazing wave action in the wedge for experienced body surfurs, but inexperienced and even experienced swimmers/surfurs can be badly injured or killed there.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
the balboa fun zone sounds great. good suggestion. i've heard people talk about crystal cove. i lived in la and oc for a brief while yet i never went there is crystal cove an area of beaches? someone mentioned beachcomber. is this a restaurant?
Crystal Cove is a state beach/Park located between Laguna and Newport Beach. Ironically I have lived here 13ish years and never been there as well, but I've never heard it called out in discussions of top recreational beaches in OC. My impression is it is less developed then other locations - fewer bathrooms, food etc. - which may be a hassle if you're with kids or you may enjoy the more "natural" setting.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM

how is parking at corona del mar beach? and regarding their firepits... are they reserved in advance or is it first-come-first-served? all great ideas! i'm intrigued by balboa.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
how is parking at corona del mar beach? and regarding their firepits... are they reserved in advance or is it first-come-first-served? all great ideas! i'm intrigued by balboa.
There is a parking lot at the bottom of the hill by the beach that fills up early. You can drop your kids/stuff with one parent at the beach then go back up the hill to park in the residentail streets above - save the $10 parking. If you get to the beach before the wave of humanity arrives from the IE - say by 10:30am ish, its easy to find a parking spot in the neighborhoods.

Fire pits are first come basis. On weekends people show up early and campout for the day to secure them. On a nice weekend you'll need to be there NLT 9am to get one.

As for Balboa - if your kids are young - like under 10, I would highly reccomend it. Lots of fun in the arcades and stuff in the fun zone, you can then ride the ferry over to Balboa Island ( 3-5 minute ride across 200 yards of water), walk a stretch along the bay to the Main drag then walk to an ice cream shop for a "Balboa Bar". Very nice night out. Fun for the kids, nice real estate/houses and boats to gawk at for Mom & Dad.
Just be aware there is Balboa Island then there is Balboa Peir on the Penisula. Reccomend you drive down the pennisula - there is lots of parking by Balboa pier and a couple family friendly dining options there. Also note there are two peirs on the pennisula - Balboa and Newport. Go past Newport to Balboa Pier.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
There is a parking lot at the bottom of the hill by the beach that fills up early. You can drop your kids/stuff with one parent at the beach then go back up the hill to park in the residentail streets above - save the $10 parking. If you get to the beach before the wave of humanity arrives from the IE - say by 10:30am ish, its easy to find a parking spot in the neighborhoods.

Fire pits are first come basis. On weekends people show up early and campout for the day to secure them. On a nice weekend you'll need to be there NLT 9am to get one.

As for Balboa - if your kids are young - like under 10, I would highly reccomend it. Lots of fun in the arcades and stuff in the fun zone, you can then ride the ferry over to Balboa Island ( 3-5 minute ride across 200 yards of water), walk a stretch along the bay to the Main drag then walk to an ice cream shop for a "Balboa Bar". Very nice night out. Fun for the kids, nice real estate/houses and boats to gawk at for Mom & Dad.
Just be aware there is Balboa Island then there is Balboa Peir on the Penisula. Reccomend you drive down the pennisula - there is lots of parking by Balboa pier and a couple family friendly dining options there. Also note there are two peirs on the pennisula - Balboa and Newport. Go past Newport to Balboa Pier.
^ That.

The parking lot at Balboa Pier fills up fairly early on some weekends. You cna usually get in until about 10:30 or 11 a.m. Once it is full, parking gets really difficult. There is a lot with meters a little past the main parking lot. It only has 20-30 spaces though. Once that is full, you are relagated to hoping for the miracle of an open street parking space, or paying for parking in the garage next to the ferry entrance, if that is open. Some times there is just no parking. When we lived in Balboa Villiage, each summer weekend day we had to decide whether we would stay or go. If we left the peninsula, we had to make plans for the whole day. There was no coming back home.

Be aware that Balboa Island is pretty boring. You do not want to get caught up in a long walkabout once you cross the ferry. Either go right back, or walk about a half mile to the little business strip and walk back to the ferry. You can also walk along the waterfront and gawk at some amazing Yachts. The homes are moslty yawners. There are a few that are impressive and a few that are really cute, but most are just boxes designed to maximize space. One neat thing to do is to drive across the bridge to the island and then take the ferry to the peninsula. Again come early, or you can wait in line for the ferry for an hour or more. If you are on foot, there is rarely a line for the ferry. It can be difficult to find the bridge to Balboa island. If you have GPS it will help. I cannot give you directions other than "Turn right from PCH at the fancy apartments, go past the Shark Club, follow the signs to Balboa island, after crossing the bridge, Turn right at Villiage Inn to get to the line for the ferry. Probably someone can igve you street nnames. I never paid any attention to streets.

If you are from the east, take advantage of the itme difference go to bed early and get going at 6 a.m. Tis is also good for going to Disneyland. In fact, I woudl go as early as they open, stay a few hours, go home, take a nap and come back in the evening. Disneyland is a pretty tterrible experience mid day, especially on weekends.

One other tip. If you have never been to one, take your kids to dinner at Mideval times. It is pretty hokey, but even older kids usually love it. It is in anaheim not far from Disneyland.

I generally hate Disenyland, but it would be tolerable if you went in the morning, left for lunch, then a nap, maybe a swim in the hotel pool then an early dinner/show at M.T. and return to Disneyland in the evening when crowds thin our and temperatures cool off.

If you decide to got o M.T. get some coupons somehwere. It is absurdly expensive without cupons.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:54 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Captain Jacks in Sunset Beach is great. Very good prime rib and on one of the canals.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
We just got home from happy hour at Taco Surf in Sunset beach. $1 fish tacos, yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County