Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,970,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
I kindly ask that you and any other conspiracy theorist please do not post in my thread and try to derail it. This is a serious discussion about a very real incident and I'm interested in other peoples experiences or insights to racial culture in south Orange County. If you believe that blatant racism doesn't exist in California and that people on city-data make up stories and start threads to try spread false lies to prove otherwise, then there is a 9/11 truthers forum I suggest you join that is filled with people like you.
I kinda see your point. You obviously deal with racism everyday. Sometimes the monster is not out your front door but instead within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
I wonder how a white couple would feel going into Compton or Watts or Pacoima or Boyle Heights for a car show.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 AM

166 posts, read 375,183 times
Sounds to me like UNLV is an instigator. How is it that so many people find OC a pleasant place, yet when UNLV shows up it's Nazi Germany? Stop making mountains out of molehills & grow some cajones, dude.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 AM

396 posts, read 925,380 times
Quote:
I went to San Clemente today and what I experienced was disturbing. I had been there once before a few years ago and I remember I didn't like the vibe I got. There was a lot of good ol' boys, and by that I mean California type good ol' boys or "peckerwoods" as they're called in jail. Unlike in the south, these guys don't chew tobacco or hunt or sport confederate flags, but you can spot them in a crowd by their Dickie shorts, their high black socks, their wife beater shirts, goatees and tattoos. Having grown up in Santa Cruz, where we have a decent population of these guys too, I know that a lot of them are racist and me, being a multi-ethnic person, grew up fighting a lot of them. So needless to say, as me and my wife and my young son went to San Clemente today for a car show, I was a little apprehensive, but concluded that I was just being paranoid (I still brought my knife with me just in case). However, when we parked on a side street, as we were exiting our car, some young punks rode by us on bicycles and yelled "White supremacy! White power!" What a nice welcoming to San Clemente!

San Clemente is beautiful, but I don't really plan on going back. If I do, I will have my retractable steel baton on me in case I have to whack some skinheads.
Wow, you are saying OC is racist? Did you reread your post? Filled with stereotypes. Retractable steel baton? Whatever makes you feel strong.. The kids you encountered are just lost, they'll grow up and grow out of it (but don't even try to imply that only a small minority of white youth in costal areas exhibits this type behavior).

BTW: I'm "multi-ethnic" too, but everyone was awesome the several times I visited OC. If you think OC is racist and you don't like the vibe, don't go there... its as simple as that.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:13 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,538 times
Last time I visited so cal there were a lot of rednecks. Tons of dirty looking people with pick up trucks with jumbo tires and fade hair cuts.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Last time I visited so cal there were a lot of rednecks. Tons of dirty looking people with pick up trucks with jumbo tires and fade hair cuts.

For every one of those guys, there are 69 guys pushing a lawnmower out of a 1977 Toyota pickup.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I read stuff like this and I just don't get it.. I lived in OC for over 50 years and have never seen any example of racism. I'm not black, in fact in so white I glow in the dark, but you would think if it's there, I would have seen some examples. I never have, not at work, or never in public. Makes me wonder if most of those problems are imagined...??
I'm married to an Hispanic, and she/we has never experienced any form of racism..
Some studies show that 1/3 of women have been molested, sexually assaulted, or raped at least once in their lifetime. Since I've never seen it happen, and since nothing like this has ever happened to my wife, makes me wonder if most of those problems are "imagined"?

Some of the responses in this thread are surprising. I share a story about an ugly side to an otherwise beautiful and wonderful county, and I've been accused of making the story up, exaggerating it, instigating the situation and being too dramatic. I wonder if we Americans, in person, are really this callous, or if the internet just somehow causes people to be snide and cynical since they can say things with complete anonymity.

I'm guessing most of the posters who think I'm being dramatic don't have families. Those who don't have wives or kids won't know that innate protective feeling you get, wanting to shield them from all things bad, dangerous, or even just offensive. When some punks yell "white power" at my wife and son, I'm ready to do some really violent things. But obviously I exhibited self control and let the situation go. Instead, I came to city-data to rant about it in a perfectly legal manner.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
How do you know they were locals? Sounds more like visitors from IE.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How do you know they were locals? Sounds more like visitors from IE.
They rode over to San Clemente on bikes? The responses are getting more and more ridiculous.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,503 times
Quote:
I'm smelling a troll.
Your whole thread is a troll and you're being called out on it. I'm starting to doubt that you have ever set foot in OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County